Author Topic: Pear lake  (Read 2109 times)

Offline 306redneck188

• IceShanty Rookie
Pear lake
« on: Jan 17, 2015, 09:17 PM »
Looks like pear lake gets stocked with 4000-6000 trout a year witch seem like quite a bit considering it is a little bigger than a dugout. Has any one had any luck there ? Was out there today seen a couple small trout. I wonder if it is a lake that winter kills easily ?

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pear lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2015, 09:37 PM »
Pear lake has produced well in the past, but had indeed been having issues with winterkill recently. A couple of mild winters in a row usually means a good year of fishing. The access was improved recently, let's hope an aerator is in the lake's future.

Offline 306redneck188

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2015, 10:08 PM »
I punched a ton of holes hope that helps lol

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2015, 10:10 AM »
I used to fish there religously, was a great lake for Rainbows and Brookies. The past 2 winters it really went to crap with winterkill. The PA fly fishing club poured a mitt full of cash into the access of the lake, which was primarily to keep vehicles away from the shore and encourage walking in. The club advertises that they welcome new members. I stopped in one night as I was interested in joining the club. The topic of Pear Lake came up and I asked why not put in a aerator? I got mostly dumb stares back. Too much money to get power in I was told. Now I could be wrong but pretty sure wind powered aerators don't require electricity.
Hope the winter is a short one so there won't be a winterkill this year. My all time biggest Brookie comes from Pear.

Offline 306redneck188

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2015, 03:44 PM »
Yes it seems counter intuitive to put that many fish in there every year and just hope they will survive the winter. Wind, solar , one would think something would work for aeration. The power line follows the high way there as well . Although I am sure it would cost quite a bit to tie into it.

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:26 PM »
Yes it seems counter intuitive to put that many fish in there every year and just hope they will survive the winter.

Pear lake is not unique in facing winterkill problems, there's a few others around the province suffering the same fate. On average these lakes will over winter and produce well, the last two winters have been particularly bad for early ice up, late ice out and heavy snow cover. Occasional winterkill is kind of becoming an unfortunate neccessity, as trout lakes seem to have a way of getting overrun with perch, and gone are the days of "rehabbing" lakes with rotenone. Sad to see a favorite lake go down the tubes for a couple seasons, but they'll get restocked and in two seasons you'll have 3lb trout again.

Personally I don't see the wisdom of investing $1000's in aeration to turn a marginal lake into one that'll overwinter, but leave a 5 fish a day limit in place. Just an overly expensive meat market at that point. Aerate, reduce limits, promote as a trophy lake where you have a good chance at 20"+ fish on every trip. SERM under promotes trout fishing in sask, preferring to use high limits on trout to take pressure off walley populations. Every has a different perspective on this, but Id like to see a more progressive strategy with trout lakes like flippr in Manitoba.

Offline 306redneck188

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2015, 02:46 PM »
Yes I agree make certain lakes a reduced limit and have a slot size on them to increase trophy potential. It seem s to have worked at some pike and walleye lakes in the province. Plus it will keep the meat packers away from the certain trout lakes. Aeration being a key part in helping save the 1000s of dollars of fish they stock. If there is ever some decent fish in the lake maybe a derby could be held to help fund aeration. Lets face it who knows when we will get two consecutive non winter kill years ! Then after the two years and there is 3lb trout, it would sure be sad to see them winter killed the third year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.