Author Topic: how fast should i be driving on a frozen lake  (Read 9061 times)

Offline zigs

• IceShanty Rookie
how fast should i be driving on a frozen lake
« on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:18 AM »
I MOSTLY FISH BUFFALO POUND LAKE ,I OWN A 01 DODGE DIESEL QUAD CAB, I TRAVEL ABOUT 10 KMPH, THE ICE MAKES A LOT OF NOISE, I WATCH OTHER GUYS  DOING 40 PLUS,THEY MAKE EVEN MORE NOISE, WHO IS SAFER, WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK, IS THE RIGHT SPEED TO TRAVEL, I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A LITTLE UNCOMFORTABLE DRIVING ON THE ICE UNLESS IT IS 3 FT THICK, BUT IT BEATS WALKING A MILE WITH MY GEAR TO MY FAVORITE SPOT, THANKS!!!!

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
Re: how fast should i be driving on a frozen lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:32 AM »
The slower the better esp when travelling near shorelines. The rebounding wave can cause the ice to break.
I never go more than 30k often 15 to 20. Slow down as you near shorelines. Going slower also gives you a better chance to see what the ice looks like and spot cracks heaves wet spots etc.
 It is also advisable to make a new path whenever possible. Repeated travel over the same trail causes ice to be weaker.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline tipupfrenzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:47 AM »
also slow down when going by other anglers, ive have the water jumping out of my hole by 6 inches when some idiot flew by.  the 20 - 30 km rule is good and also dont drive right along the shore stay out a little.  the ice right at the shore line will be the most broken up.
Fishing is a tough job, but im willing to Tackle it!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:51 AM »
Just fast enough to beat the guy behind you to the hot spot !... ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:28 PM »
More info about ice safety from
U.S. Army researchers discovered that wave action may crack the ice if the vehicle is moving at a "critical speed." Speeds at or above this critical speed substantially increases the danger of cracking.  It is recommended that you drive 10 to 15mph under most circumstances. Following closely behind other cars is not recommended, since you may interrupt their wave action with your own, causing a break in what would otherwise be sound ice. Also keep in mind speeding or improper ice road procedures may result in the loss of your property and potentially your life and the life of others with you.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:34 PM »
Ever watch that show ice truckers? They drive semis much faster than that across the ice.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline saskfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:42 PM »
Ever watch that show ice truckers? They drive semis much faster than that across the ice.
They also have 36 inces of ice to drive on and they can only do 40kms on the ice, also the DOT is on the ice roads lots..... trust me my sister is a DOT officer.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:46 PM »

"Ever watch that show ice truckers? They drive semis much faster than that across the ice."

Yep and more than a few of em go to the bottom thats why they pay so good.

Offline DoubleDropTine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2012, 09:38 AM »
We have fished at Waterhen the last couple of winters and the locals up there use the lake as a hiway and drive hiway speed. We just sit back and wait for the day when one of there trucks or mini-vans to fall thruogh the ice
Bite em back

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.