Author Topic: Chubby Darters  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Adam88

• Team IceShanty Regular
Chubby Darters
« on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:17 PM »
Just curious to see if anyone has tried out these things if so for what and how did they work. I am very curious to try these out but they arent cheap 10 bucks a piece i believe. thx

Offline rtibbs48

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Chubby Darters
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:22 PM »
Try cabelas they are a little cheaper, $6.98, just got some and have caught crappie and perch on them

Offline TMRFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:54 PM »
I have used one and have caught decent fish on them.  The jigging rapalas are cheaper and may work just as well.  Also, there is a company that produces 'generic' jigging rapalas for even cheaper.  I think they are about $2. I haven't decided which lures I like better, but if they work about the same, I will certainly go the cheaper ones.

Offline clysdale

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2009, 06:18 AM »
i got the small perch darter and its a fish slayer, its my best lure, just add a little stink to the bak treble hook and they are deadly, watch out for jack though, they will steel it, dont use a leader with these either, it effects the action

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:36 PM »
I was curious to see how they work too, so a few weeks ago I ordered 3 different colors of the number 3 (smallest ones) from Salmo Ontario.......Hot Perch, a Glow one, and a green/silver one.   I've tried them for walleye and perch, and I've found they attract fish fairly easily (I fish with a flasher), but I've yet to catch anything on them.  I have to go back to my tried and true lures/presentations to catch.  I think if I hit a day when the fish are really aggressive they may work good, but they're not a finesse bait.  Lately the fish I've been fishing for have been finicky and no type of presentation with them can make them bite.  They look promising though, from the fish they attract, and I am not disappointed yet, I think I just need to hit a day when the fish are more active.

Offline clysdale

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2009, 11:22 PM »
there are 2 types of lures, there are bite inticing lures and attractant lures, attractant lures bring fish in and send sounds out to get their attention such as buzz baits and zippers and wobbler's,  then theres the lures to intice a bite, don't get me wrong ya still catch allot with the darter but on the camera the fish come in  with a loud lure and then see whats going on, and look for something stationary, that's what we have found, don't know if anyone else has any other theory's

Offline uncle hank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2009, 07:56 AM »
Love the chubby, caught everything on them from large jack,walleye, burbot to small perch. the action is awesome and you can't beat the realistic paint job. My personal favorite is the real roach colour it's caught some nice walleye. just purchased the GIANT CHUBBY in perch colour  can't wait to try this monster lure out. If your attracting fish & can't get them to bit we put on a small stinger on the bottom with some bait to seal the deal.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.