New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Pike Leaders  (Read 585 times)

Offline Iceyvein

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pike Leaders
« on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:17 AM »
I'm thinking about switching leaders for pike tipups. I've read a little into American Fishing Wire Surfstrand. Wondering if anybody uses this?, how well it works? any other input?

Offline matty23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • gone fishing...........
Re: Pike Leaders
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:25 AM »
never tried it... i use 9" 30lb steel leaders for mine..... i have used all sorts of mono line and never had good luck with it holding up to monster pike
matty23

Offline FROZENGOOSE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2011, 10:56 AM »
i mostly pike fish and i use braid to fill my spool than tie a black swivel than 6 to 8 inches of more braid directly to the treble. i also have a small spilt shot just below the swivel
just for the fun of it, let them go haddeck taste better

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2011, 11:32 AM »
I buy the Berkley 30 lb coated leader wire and the crimps and make my own leaders with a couple of beads, size two excalibur trebels and a spro power swivel.  In all usually about ten to twelve inches long and either tie them direct or with a snap swivel.  If you make your own it makes it alot easier to cut them when the hook is buried.

Offline nightrunner06

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2011, 12:29 PM »
I use seaguar 100% florocarbon leader. Its 40lb. test. With a big ole red treble. Havnt lost 1 yet!
FLAG!!!!!

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2011, 12:43 PM »
I use seaguar 100% florocarbon leader. Its 40lb. test. With a big ole red treble. Havnt lost 1 yet!
same here but 20lb test,   haven't had one break off yet
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline trapper330

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2011, 03:07 PM »
 The PIKEMASTER rigs sold at Daves Bait and Tackle on the Sacandaga are the best PERIOD !!!!! 30-40 pound leaders  that are 24 or 36 inches long. They are set up with split rings and differant size hooks. The ones with red and white blades and beads have been working great. You will never lose a pike with these  unless the hook breaks !!  I also have caught a lot of pike on the ones that are chartruse and Orange !! I will never fish with anything else ! The two pike winning his contest right now were caught on the chartruse color one.

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2011, 03:15 PM »
This is what I use.

Surflon-Micro Supreme Wire

Great for use when fishing for toothy fish. Nylon-coated, miniature, 49-strand stainless steel wire that is extremely flexible and kink resistant. Conventional knots (clinch, uni-knot, nail, etc.) can be used to make all necessary attachments.

Offline rjhulbert

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2011, 03:32 PM »
Does the pressure the lake get change you decision on what set up you use?? Have been tinkering around with this idea as well the best set up. Thanks in advance
It's close

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.