Author Topic: How to Improve the Tip-Up?? Need your input ASAP!  (Read 4732 times)

Offline livvy

• IceShanty Rookie
How to Improve the Tip-Up?? Need your input ASAP!
« on: Feb 10, 2021, 03:08 PM »
i need YOUR input please! im currently a design student looking at solutions for improving the current tip-ups for ice fishing on the market. do you have any problems you face with current tip-ups and anything you would want to see in a design of a new one? i appreciate your feedback and input :)

Offline Tim Burr

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How to Improve the Tip-Up?? Need your input ASAP!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2021, 03:40 PM »
I made my own automatic fisherman. Its the design I like the most and sets the hook very hard. You Tube has pretty good videos on tip ups.
Looks Like a Good Spot

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2021, 03:42 PM »
Tough to improve, I would look into signaling systems with light and sound for night fishing. Ones that can be retrofitted on old tip-ups even better for not a lot of money. If you really want a "reach" something that keeps the hole from freezing... Good luck and make sure you show us what you come up with.

Offline bigvfb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2021, 03:49 PM »
an accurate way for tripping tension so it could be set for panfish or bigger fish
the insulated hole covering type keeps holes from freezing
a way to reel fish in once on the line
a way to set accurate depths
compact for easy storage and carrying

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2021, 04:03 PM »
easily interchanged spools for targeting different species,
integrated bells on flag, sometimes it's easier to hear it go off rather than see it
lighter material as sturdy as wood that won't freeze to ice

Offline NascarNHIS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2021, 04:13 PM »

I agree with Stripernut .  I have seen many attempts at remote  signals but nothing dependable affordable retrofitable , for a stretch notify via iPhone wifi range .

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2021, 04:21 PM »
i need YOUR input please! im currently a design student looking at solutions for improving the current tip-ups for ice fishing on the market. do you have any problems you face with current tip-ups and anything you would want to see in a design of a new one? i appreciate your feedback and input :)

Do you ice fish?
Have you ever used a tip up?
 Do you know how a tip up works?
Do you know how many different styles there are?
 Do these guys get royalties for there suggestions after you design the perfect tip up?    ;D  ;D ;D  ;) ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2021, 04:32 PM »
I wouldn't mind helping but the other guys have already touched on a lot of desirable characteristics.  Honestly I hang around here to avoid "ASAP!".  Get plenty of that all day at work.  Good luck though.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2021, 05:44 PM »

I agree with Stripernut .  I have seen many attempts at remote  signals but nothing dependable affordable retrofitable , for a stretch notify via iPhone wifi range .
I hear good things about vulture systems..that tech built into a tip up would be in my line up if the price was reasonable

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2021, 05:48 PM »
What ever happened to doing research..buy a bunch of traps and spend time analyzing them.. maybe then you'll figure out what many of us already know and have done to improve them.. good luck in your studies.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2021, 05:49 PM »
I hear good things about vulture systems..that tech built into a tip up would be in my line up if the price was reasonable
Vulture systems are the best out there, I use them and have reported on field trials I have done for a distributor
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2021, 06:04 PM »
I would start , as a base line , the HT polar tip. Infinitely adjustable trip, very light , easily packable & bulletproof.
A lighted trip flag for night fishing, a strong telescopic flag for deep snow & some type of hole cover for very cold conditions. Tough part is it must be very light , small & packable, & always work easily in any conditions.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2021, 06:31 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

years ago when i drank heavily and never paid attention to my tipups i bought strike sensors.the  key clipped to the flag and a little box that the other side key went in with a light on it.came with a pager letting me know i had a flag.worked 100 yards away.i sold them when i quit drinking and watch my tipups like a hawk now.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2021, 07:11 PM »
im with burr on the pvc "steelie slammer" type.

the old polars did fine today though.

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2021, 07:27 PM »
What ever happened to doing research..buy a bunch of traps and spend time analyzing them.. maybe then you'll figure out what many of us already know and have done to improve them.. good luck in your studies.

That would require getting out of the chair once you've ordered the tipups online and had them delivered to your door. Instead he should set up a Zoom meeting with some fishing tackle reps who could give him their spiels and then he could tinker with the designs virtually of course. Once he has solved all the issues he can whip up a prototype on a 3d printer and present it to the professor. No sense wasting time by actually ice fishing at any point.
Being on ice is nice but the tug is the drug.

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2021, 07:53 PM »
For us trout fishermen , how about a better/ replaceable spool "bearin" surface so they dont chatter or squeak??? TY and good luck....O.P.oi
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2021, 08:00 PM »
hey if i wana know about electric in my home i call my cuz the electrician.  he is just asking the ones in the know!

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2021, 08:10 PM »
I knew as soon as I read the post there would be those that criticized the student for asking, I have seen it a few times on the fishing boards over the years. I was happy to try and help a student/anyone that is looking for info, and we don't know what this student has already done for work on this project. I could easily see him having done all the "suggestions" and still needing to "survey" anglers for more or supportive suggestions... He could be a hardcore ice angler that has already done a lot of work and at the last minute, his professor asked him for a larger sample pool... We don't know. He could even be a Chinese Tackle Jobber looking for new ideas to market. None of us know. These days it is easy to be cynical, but I am willing to take the request, at face value and try and help someone asking a simple question. Maybe next year there will be on the selves a reasonably priced Tip-up that solves all the suggestions we had (doubt it), but you never know...

One more thing to look at in the not so far-fetched category; a tip-up with an aluminum shaft sealed w/ rechargeable batteries (threaded end with Gasset), light on top with the flag, maybe a warmer for the hole, and Bluetooth to tell you when you have a bite. Also, have a light blink for each time the spool rotates (running flag). All possible, but you have to do it for a reasonable price as ice anglers (me included) can be a cheap bunch!

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2021, 08:27 PM »
I knew as soon as I read the post there would be those that criticized the student for asking, I have seen it a few times on the fishing boards over the years. I was happy to try and help a student/anyone that is looking for info, and we don't know what this student has already done for work on this project. I could easily see him having done all the "suggestions" and still needing to "survey" anglers for more or supportive suggestions... He could be a hardcore ice angler that has already done a lot of work and at the last minute, his professor asked him for a larger sample pool... We don't know. He could even be a Chinese Tackle Jobber looking for new ideas to market. None of us know. These days it is easy to be cynical, but I am willing to take the request, at face value and try and help someone asking a simple question. Maybe next year there will be on the selves a reasonably priced Tip-up that solves all the suggestions we had (doubt it), but you never know...

One more thing to look at in the not so far-fetched category; a tip-up with an aluminum shaft sealed w/ rechargeable batteries (threaded end with Gasset), light on top with the flag, maybe a warmer for the hole, and Bluetooth to tell you when you have a bite. Also, have a light blink for each time the spool rotates (running flag). All possible, but you have to do it for a reasonable price as ice anglers (me included) can be a cheap bunch!

Alan, has there been anything that you have purchased for ice fishing lately that you did not have to tinker with to get it to work properly? I was fishing with a friend  that purchased the new Mr. Heater Flex. Mind you that this company has virtually cornered the market for ice fishing heaters yet this new model had numerous design flaws that require tinkering or just accepting the flaws. Real world design is a thing of the past. It is about profit margins and gimmicks. My two cents.
Being on ice is nice but the tug is the drug.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2021, 08:49 PM »
Alan, has there been anything that you have purchased for ice fishing lately that you did not have to tinker with to get it to work properly? I was fishing with a friend  that purchased the new Mr. Heater Flex. Mind you that this company has virtually cornered the market for ice fishing heaters yet this new model had numerous design flaws that require tinkering or just accepting the flaws. Real world design is a thing of the past. It is about profit margins and gimmicks. My two cents.

I don't disagree with you with the quality of current consumer goods... Barely a day goes by without my lamenting about it... All the more reason to help someone/anyone that is looking to make a product better...

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2021, 09:25 PM »
Yes
Keep the water from freezing in the hole.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2021, 09:47 PM »
Each Tip-Up will come with a 12 volt water pump that churns the water so it will keep from freezing up.  It will be made of low resistance nylon polymer bushings and stay flexible and even in cold weather as to not crack or become brittle.  Even the flags will be made of a carbon fiber cloth with high reflective fiber optics so when the trigger light comes on, it's will look all shiny techy.  What's more is that those flags double as solar power silicate panels to keep the battery charged.  Even the trigger light will switched to a stropping green flash to indicate "Fish On".  The spools are all made of a special carbon fiber grade which makes them very lightweight and they will be treated to a special coating that's very hydrophobic and resists icing.  Any kind of metal parts are titanium flex corrosion resistant for the next 500 yrs of use.

Most of all these tip up have SMART technology so they're kind of like a little AI when it comes to usage.  - ah nvm maybe 50 some years in the future.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2021, 06:17 AM »
I want tip ups that wind up and store the hooks automatically at the end of the day. ;D The very worst part of ice fishing comes at the end of the day or night when it's bitter cold and time to pick up.

Some of these suggestions are certainly doable but I shudder to think about the cost. Keep the hole warm and open, lights that blink and remote flag up signals sent to your phone all sound pretty cool but at what cost? With the newest battery technology I can easily see a tip up shaft loaded with rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries that could be a game changer in the near future. As far as the mechanical properties go I would study the mechanisms of the top 4-5 tip ups out there now, Jack Trap, Heritage, 40 Up, Beaver Dam and some HT disc types come to mind.

YUP, Many ice fishers are frugal or even cheap but there is plenty of us willing to spend big bucks on the latest and greatest equipment. I just spent $150 on a Jawjacker with the electric base and as an older retired guy I have many thousands invested in my ice gear between motor transport, trailer, Auger, shanty, rods, tip ups, heater, suits and all the other stuff so a High Tech tip up would be right up my alley when it does appear. The very first thing any new design must incorporate is absolute attention to the extreme elements ice fishing presents to our gear. Anything that can't handle the abuse will not be worth the powder it would take to blow it to H&**.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2021, 07:56 AM »
I really want a tip-up that can catch my fish. Fillet my fish. Cook my fish.
GET TO WORK!
 :tipup:

But really. Simple is best. Why fix what isn't broken.
You can always add electronics, use improved materials, spray everything with hydrophobic chemicals. I would say not adding complexity or additional gear to haul around is best.
Heck when the tip-up goes off have it strike a match that lights a candle, that burns a rope to the shack, that triggers a spring, that dings a bell. Boom, bite notification.

Offline 2MuchStuff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'll be home after dark thirty
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2021, 09:03 AM »
  A number of years ago ,I was going to revolutionize the fishing industry with my new fish catching gadget.
 It had bells and whistles all sorts of flashing lights ,light weight aerospace construction and a  built in compass.
 This thing was a marvel of ingenuity . As my new fangled fish catching contraption came to fruition , I brought my idea to
 a panel of ice fishing experts ,my drinking buddys, at first they were skeptical . After a few trail and error seasons on the ice
 it was found it to actually catch fish. then in a moment of clarity ," why don't you check with the patent office " .
 well to make a short story longer I did, and there is where I would start as there are more ideas already thought up.
 not to dash your dreams  ,but to hope that helps
 as the great Alfonse Shody said" if you dont know where to start ,go back to the beginning."
"if you don't know where to start,go back to the beginning" Alvin Soady.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2021, 09:20 AM »
I am not a Patent expert but you don't actually need a patent on a lot of things as long as you don't care to protect your invention. Patent Infringement might be something to investigate so you are not stealing someone else's "Exact Copied" ideas. A company would have to spend big bucks to take you to court for some BS infringement suit. I'd be willing to bet you could make a near exact copy of a Heritage Laker, 40 Up or Jack Trap tip up and call it a "Jim Trap" and probably have no big issue. We are not talking about multi million dollar gadgets here with world wide sales markets.

Offline 2MuchStuff

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'll be home after dark thirty
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2021, 09:33 AM »
My intentions were only to lead the horse to water, as the horse stated he was thirsty.
its not about infringements  , there is a wealth on ideas.
some are good ,some flawed
"if you don't know where to start,go back to the beginning" Alvin Soady.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2021, 09:38 AM »
My intentions were only to lead the horse to water, as the horse stated he was thirsty.
its not about infringements  , there is a wealth on ideas.
some are good ,some flawed

I totally agree but stand by my thoughts and would tell this fellow to have at it while making sure he is not involved in any sort of infringement or down right thievery of another's Patented inventions.
As an example, just because your new design has 3 sticks that form a cross or a spool with a trip mechanism does not make your design an infringement.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 11, 2021, 10:00 AM »
The biggest need I had was to apply downrigger clips to my tip ups for big bait.  I do not want a drag that the fish feels after the take.  Plenty out there like that.  Just adding a simple alligator clip with rubber covers works fine too.  Just need something to hold the line a little until a fish takes it.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 11, 2021, 11:18 AM »
"Build a better mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door"

or

"Build a better mouse trap and the mice will learn to avoid it like the plague"

Before investing $$ in an idea, invest time to see if your idea is just that...YOUR IDEA.
Not sure what option you have if you are IMPROVING on an existing idea, but that's what you would also want to look into.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.