Author Topic: falling through experiance  (Read 1698 times)

Offline meier247

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: falling through experiance
« Reply #30 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:09 PM »
Here's my story, it happened before I was even born.....

My Dad (9 years old) and his brother (11 years old) had just finished playing hockey with some friends and were on their way home. They played hockey all winter on a frozen river. Right after finishing playing they were crossing the river to go back home when the ice broke. They both went in, and couldn't claw their way back out. Dad's coat sleeves froze to the ice and he was rescued, his brother wasn't so lucky and Dad watched him drown. I'm named after him.

Always use caution, and never assume the ice is safe because you were already on it. It can always be dangerous and break without warning.

Thats a sad story buddy that would be awful

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: falling through experiance
« Reply #31 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:36 PM »
A couple of things stand out reading this thread

1 - if the ice looks "off" or "funny" it probably is and we should stay away

2 - water shouldn't be pouring out of a hole .... that is a BAD sign - get away

3 - spud bars are the way to go ....  you can literally test every spot you will put your foot ....   i have a cheapie from Dick's that is fairly light and it takes me several good whacks to get through good ice ....  if i can put it through in one or two whacks it is time to go home

My daughter went in a few years ago  :o   .....  it was mid winter with a foot plus of ice and we were walking back to the car fairly close to shore .... there was an area of funny looking ice and just as i was about to say i wouldn't step on the she did and it gave way ....  i was still on solid ice and grabbed her by the hair and pulled her out.

It was only 3 or 4 feet deep and it turns out all the runoff from the rain enters the lake there and creates a weak spot.

So...  watch for funny ice, water and buy a spud bar
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.