Author Topic: What's it worth to you?  (Read 2287 times)

Offline hntfsh09

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: What's it worth to you?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:27 AM »
It's worth the extra effort to know the ice you're on.  4" of ice as a minimum assumes that you drill a hole, see 4" and start walking on a lake with no springs or current.  You don't have to know a lot about ice to get away with that.  If you know what you're doing and take the necessary steps I think you can do a lot crazier stuff than that. 

I was out on a river yesterday and set up on 8" of ice 50 yards below a dam.  We walked out on 6" of clear ice, but to the left of us about 30' was a patch of white ice/slush that you could put a spud through.  Two of us had it all checked with a spud, a ton of test holes drilled, bad spots marked, picks in pockets.  Stay on the ice you know and I don't think that is a crazy risk.  To me it's all about whether or not you put in the extra effort to absolutely KNOW what you're standing on.  That's why I don't like hard and fast rules for how much ice.  Too many variables. 

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:38 AM »
I am also a big man. But I think I still move pretty well. You will never see me on less than 6" of ice. Just not worth it to me.

I also always have kids with me. Whether it's ice fishing, hunting upland, waterfowl or big game. We owe to the next generation to teach them. Do you want your kids on 2" of ice? I don't.

That's just my .02

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:40 AM »
I am not a risk taker, not by a long shot but I'll fish three inches, maybe two but that's pushing it for me.  I'll stay puckered up most the time and keep my guard up at all times.  I'd say if your waiting for five inches then in a lot of cases your missing some of the best action of the year.
Use caution and use your head.  Take precautionary measures.  If your out on ice that you know ahead of time is going to be thin and your not wearing picks your asking for trouble. 
As for not thinking about the others around me who would be affected by my mistakes.  Believe me I have that in the back of my head all the time.  I have a daughter and I don't want some other dude raising my daughter one day because I was an idiot!
I have a spud bar and use it.  I have a flotation suit and use it.  I have picks and I wear them.  I have yet to fall through.  I hope I never do and I will continue to take precautions to keep me above the water.
In our area I think the real danger is driving on the ice.  People do and that's their business.  Just about every year a vehicle falls through and all to often someone losses their life.  It's sad, very sad. 
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 09, 2013, 05:39 PM »
pushing it and staying puckered sounds like taking risks to me.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Jan 09, 2013, 05:58 PM »
Jignut, you're an idiot!

My friend Gary died going through the ice on Sodus a few years back. I wish he were still here.

Those risking it for a "great day" have no sense at all.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #35 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:05 PM »
I feel safe on 3 inches of ice.
Master Laker taker.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2013, 06:10 PM »
I feel safe on 3 inches of ice.
So do I. 3" of hard, black ice is good!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline outlaw5oo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2013, 11:57 PM »
People think of themselves as smarter and better fisherman just because they take all the precautions they need to go out on 2 inches of ice, guess what just like the people who drive in the snowstorms oh I have 4 wheel drive and they speed passed ya then a couple miles down the road their in a ditch or off the road. Is a fish really that important your gonna risk your own safety? I guess to some people it is

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:35 AM »
pushing it and staying puckered sounds like taking risks to me.

Maybe your right, who knows.  I said puckered up.  I think anybody who has been on thin ice knows the feeling.  When I said pushing it for 2 inches I would say that is the very least I would go on and that's questionable.  I would be talking 2" (2.5 preferably) good clear ice with cold weather on me, teens anyway.

Lot's of things in life are risk.  A lot of life is balancing risk and reward.  Archery hunting elk in Montana is one of my most favorite activities.  I could be attacked by a grizzly while elk hunting.  Does that keep me from going?  Maybe, depending on location.  Again the balance of risk and reward.  The largest bull in the world isn't worth my body moving through the digestive tract of grizzly bear. 

The thing about opinion poles if everyone has their own opinion to which they are entitled.  To me, if a person chooses to wait until they think the ice is good so be it.  If I choose to "risk" it with a spud bar, flotation suit and ice spikes that's my choice.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline Mistabray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:06 PM »
My theroy:
No fish is worth my life.  :nono:
I don't walk on any water that dosen't have at least solid foot of ice on it.
Call me a wuss I don't care.
You won't see me on the evening news with a toe tag.
Everybody has to believe in something.
      ... I believe I'll go fishing.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:15 PM »
I've been out on 3" of clear black ice as well and have no problems about safety on it.
If it's not clear  I'm not on it @ that thickness.
I spud my way out every step and if the spud pierces through it's time to back up.   ;)2

In this picture I'm on 3" of clear black ice.
That's open water in front and the ice at the edge is just under 2".

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #41 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:28 PM »
If I go out on 2" it is with the mind set that I am prepared to go through, that is why it would only be in shallow water, with another person and a throw rope. Anyone who goes out over there head in deep water on 2" is crazy. First ice I have caught walleye in 2 feet of water. No need to go out very far off shore. 3" clear solid ice is a whole other story, but still better be prepared to go through. The ones who drown are not prepared at all to go through.

Offline dthughes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 10, 2013, 12:31 PM »
fortunately there are sites like this which help you make an informed decision on the ice conditions.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.