Author Topic: Dead baits  (Read 1636 times)

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Dead baits
« on: Feb 05, 2007, 10:47 AM »
how do you all rig up for running dead baits on the bottom. I remember reading that some put a nail in the bait's body cavity and lose the sinkers. just wanted to know what different methods people use.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Dead baits
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2007, 10:53 AM »
I usually hook a dead smelt right behind the head and put a small sinker right next to the hook.  This will keep the bait in a "natural" position.  I also make a small slit in the belly to let out any air in the bladder and to disperse more scent.  I've found lake trout to take most bait head first.  I don't lose too many with this set up.  I've yet to catch a brown trout with dead bait.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
Re: Dead baits
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2007, 07:23 AM »
Putting nails in dead baits is unethical.  I caught a pike last year that must have been caught earlier in the day.  When I cut it open, it had a smelt with a nail in it in it's stomach.  If I did not keep it, this fish may have died of been seriously injured.  I just squeeze the air out of them and add a couple split shot 1 1/2' above them. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.