Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake YBB  (Read 4564 times)

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clear Lake YBB
« on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:24 PM »
The YBB is next weekend. Is anyone one here participating? I will be trying this out for the first time. It looks like a blast!

Offline bheyer21

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clear Lake YBB
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:06 AM »
ME :tipup:

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2018, 11:42 AM »
Sounds like you picked the worst year since the inception of this event to make your appearance lol.  Event overall is great fun but from the sounds of it this is the worst year in awhile for catching yellows.  Should be a lot of fun regardless!!

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2018, 12:39 PM »
I've heard the bite has been tougher. Sounds like things started picking up this last week.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:45 AM »
I’ll be there again as usual! It’s always a good time.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2018, 03:31 PM »
I’ll be there again as usual! It’s always a good time.

How is the meeting and dinner the night before? Do I need to have cash on me?

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2018, 04:25 PM »
How is the meeting and dinner the night before? Do I need to have cash on me?

Yes the meeting is the night before.  Yes, you will need money if you want additional drinks and you want to participate in the optional raffles.  They also have vendors there selling different ice fishing products. 

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Yes the meeting is the night before.  Yes, you will need money if you want additional drinks and you want to participate in the optional raffles.  They also have vendors there selling different ice fishing products.

How is the meeting /dinner? Do they have a lot of vendors set up?

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:34 PM »
IMO the raffles aren’t worth it. Haven’t been the last couple years. They are expensive to enter and the odds are horrible.  There are a lot of vendors and products for sale. I’ve done every one of the YBBs except for the first year and each year it gets more and more expensive. We always would get a table up front and it’s gone up in price every year. This year it’s gonna be up to the point where we we aren’t getting one. And the field gets bigger and bigger and the payouts stay the same.  Sad to say it but this might be my last one. For what it cost anymore I could go to SD for a three day trip.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:40 PM »
The best part is all of these people who make such a big deal about yellow bass. One of the worst fish for Iowa lakes. Oh but it's a easy fish to catch and great table fare, still going to ruin multiple lakes. This is only my opinion.

Offline 1tohuntandfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:41 PM »
how are the snow conditions? will I be able to use my atv with the additional 3-5 inches predicted? Fishing the tournament with my boy and pulling our sled by hand wont be doable due to physical restrictions. any help would be appreciated.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:03 PM »
I'm hoping you will be able to use your ATV still. A message to Clear Lake Bait and Tackle may help you out. My dad and I will be on foot for the tournament.

Does anyone use hub shelters during this or is it mainly run and gun?

Offline 1tohuntandfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Thanks, I will be calling tomorrow.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:13 PM »
I'm hoping you will be able to use your ATV still. A message to Clear Lake Bait and Tackle may help you out. My dad and I will be on foot for the tournament.

Does anyone use hub shelters during this or is it mainly run and gun?
It’s mainly run and gun. People will bring their flip overs mainly to haul gear. Atv traffic will be fine. There are pickups all over the ice there. Just use common sense.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:26 PM »
I'm really looking forward to the weekend. Saturday nights dinner and meeting should be a good time as well. Do they have any speakers?

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:45 PM »
Thai year there will be a comedian.

Offline SchlitzBeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:54 AM »
Whats the best way to get from the little lake to the big lake via quad? i keep hearing about staying away from the channel that connects the two...Areas to avoid with a quad?

Offline baogongmeo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2018, 01:50 PM »
We cross at the sandbar... you'll see the path in the coming snow. It's to the north of the narrows, the channel is more to the south. Avoid the channel. Follow the herd.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:11 PM »
The best part is all of these people who make such a big deal about yellow bass. One of the worst fish for Iowa lakes. Oh but it's a easy fish to catch and great table fare, still going to ruin multiple lakes. This is only my opinion.

So isn't this tournament a good thing? Gets the yellows out of the lake. They should do the same kind of tournament on East. Are you too good of a fisherman to fish for yellows? Is your pallet to sophisticated for eating them?

I take it we won't see you at the YBB?

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:35 PM »
Question.. do you have to take the fish you catch after the weigh in?

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:57 PM »
Uh.. nobody is making a big deal about how great yellow bass are. We are simply talking about the upcoming tournament. The guy who puts this on makes quite the deal about how yellow bass are an invasive species and the whole reason for this tournament when it started was to bring awareness of that to this lake and pull out a huge number of them. How many forums have you been kicked off of in the last couple of years for voicing your opinion? Some people never learn I guess.

Question.. do you have to take the fish you catch after the weigh in?
Yes.  It’s usually pretty simple to find someone who will take them. Just start asking around. They make good trapping bait!

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2018, 10:25 PM »
Uh.. nobody is making a big deal about how great yellow bass are. We are simply talking about the upcoming tournament. The guy who puts this on makes quite the deal about how yellow bass are an invasive species and the whole reason for this tournament when it started was to bring awareness of that to this lake and pull out a huge number of them. How many forums have you been kicked off of in the last couple of years for voicing your opinion? Some people never learn I guess.
Yes.  It’s usually pretty simple to find someone who will take them. Just start asking around. They make good trapping bait!

Thanks!

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:13 PM »
Well we didn't do so hot during the YBB today. Only Perch for us today. We had a prettt good day Saturday during the prefish, just couldn't find the yellow today. Still had a blast this weekend. I would definitely do this again. Kevan Paul and the guys at Clear Lake Bait and tackle did a great job.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:21 AM »

what on earth is this guy talking about.  this tournament literally rids the lake of thousands of fish as that is its entire purpose.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:49 AM »
It appears that it's doing a good job of thinning the population.

Offline bheyer21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2018, 10:08 AM »
WE CAUGHT 34 FISH WEIGHED THE 30 WE COULD AND CAME IN 37TH PLACE.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2018, 10:14 AM »

Nice work! Were you inthe little lake? How many holes did you drill?  I wasted all my luck Saturday.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 12, 2018, 10:31 AM »

Win anything for that finish?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Chili

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Heard around 4K fish caught Sunday. Our team weighed 9.25lbs which left us well down on the leaderboard but still managed to win a FLX12 Vex thanks to the tiered prize pool. Great tourney as always.

Offline bheyer21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:08 AM »
Nice work! Were you inthe little lake? How many holes did you drill?  I wasted all my luck Saturday.
we were in little lake drilled about 15 holes found them stacked in 12' of water

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.