New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Runners for shanty's with sled bottoms  (Read 2245 times)

Offline kyhdeo09

• IceShanty Rookie
Runners for shanty's with sled bottoms
« on: Jan 31, 2010, 02:44 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas on if I should put runners on my shanty or not. I'm afraid to put holes in the bottom of mine. Shouldn't matter. Just wondered if it made them pull easier? Thanks

Offline prayingforice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Runners for shanty's with sled bottoms
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2010, 02:57 PM »
My worry was those days when parking doesn't let you dump your sled on the ice.  Dragging on pavement or gravel will wear it out fast and rough it up so that it drags harder in snow.  I went to Salvation Army store and bought old pairs of downhill snow skis.  Cut them to size, remove the bindings, and you can screw them on from inside sled into the skis with small self tapping screws.  They take the abuse and the sled bottom is protected and stays waxed for the snow and slush.  The metal edges of the skis help keep the sled tracking straight on glare ice also.
Jesus and Peter walked on 70 degree water!  How cool is that?

Offline 600RevX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2010, 02:58 PM »
Definitely not a bad idea- I HAD to put on set on the bottom of my fish trap guide this year- its only 3 years old but I put alot of miles on it and the bottoms were starting to wear through and get thin  :o - it tows alot easier now and they aren't to bad to install, paid $45 w/ shipping from red rock for them-
Why work when you can fish?<br />

Offline prayingforice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2010, 03:43 PM »
The skis cost me $4.00 a set at the S.A. store.  I'm to cheap to buy the skis that are made for them!
Jesus and Peter walked on 70 degree water!  How cool is that?

Offline nicetohaveice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2010, 06:56 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas on if I should put runners on my shanty or not. I'm afraid to put holes in the bottom of mine. Shouldn't matter. Just wondered if it made them pull easier? Thanks
:flex:
Was having the same problem, especially when the ice is rough and dragging on the road,  my neighbor and I came up with the idea of using 1 1/4" black plastic water pipe.  We ran 2 runners of it from the front top of the sled to the back.
I'm going on the 2nd yr, and I use it 3-4 days a wk, when the weather and ice is good,
It keep the sled high enough so that you don't  plow much if any snow.
 :icefish:
tight lines

KeepMove'n

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2010, 08:01 PM »
No matter what you use for runners, they are a good idea for jet sleds and hard bottom shanties, especially if they are being towed by machine. Saves the bottoms from excessive wear.

Offline jekross42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2010, 10:42 PM »
just make what looks like a toboggan with skis, i put my shanty and jetsled loaded with all of our gear and it drags easier than either of them by themselves, its a little heavier but it sure gets the job done, drug it out 1/2 mile each way for bout a month straight with no problems
if you got a ATV make sure you make the skis wide enough for the tracks if you get into some deeper snow, that should help too,

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2010, 10:47 PM »
clam makes thoes white tefflon or what ever there made of runners i got a big set enouf for 3 more shantys if anyone wants some let me know there 1 1/2 inch wide 1/2 inch lift and really easy to intsall!! and there really slick
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2010, 05:22 AM »
I use cross country skis and counter sink them with screws and washers,nylon nuts,pick them up at lawn sales in the summer :tipup:

Offline skidplate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2010, 03:11 PM »
X country skis out of somebodys garbage, 4 carriage bolts, furring strip on the inside and a 1x2 on the outside between the skis and the sled.  Works great, and CHEAP.  Think it cost about 8 bucks.
I'm Gonna go to bed...I'm gonna change my pants and go to bed.

Offline numbtoes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • numbtoes
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:21 PM »
Use skis also which makes it MUCH easier to pull as well as saving the bottom of the sled. To keep the ski bottoms from wearing out on bare ground I also put heavy duty rollers on next to the skis that go just 1/4 inch below the ski bottom which does not seem to interfere when on snow on the ice. On glare ice and wind I have to put the tow cord over an anchor screw. I know this sounds like a lot of trouble but I'm just throwing it out as another option to think about. $4 used replacement skis that were mentioned would be a better choice if you can find them.

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:28 PM »
X-country skis are the way to go. Specially garbage picked..... i put them on years ago and they work fantastic. I use to have water skis but that Idea was terrible and it pulled hard.

:icefish: :tipup:
A bad day fishing is better than being at work.

Offline moose464

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2010, 10:01 PM »
I put the white teflon type on my frabill and was surprised how easy it pulls on snow,ice and on grass .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.