Author Topic: Tipup spacing and patterns?  (Read 3080 times)

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Tipup spacing and patterns?
« on: Jan 26, 2004, 11:28 PM »
What do you guys find is the best spacing,and pattern you use for tipups. And the fish you target using your pattern.?
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
Re:Tipup spacing and patterns?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2004, 12:24 PM »
When I had good legs I would cover anywhere from 300-500 yards of water with my 5 allowed tip-ups. Now that i can't walk so well I cover 200 to max 300 yards.

I have always tried to use a v pattern covering the shallow to deep water drop offs.

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
Re: Tipup spacing and patterns?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2004, 12:44 PM »
I have always had good success with this pattern. My old man taught it to me a while back. You really can see a pattern sometimes to right where they prefer to feed that day.

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2004, 05:03 PM »
I'm jealous we can only have 3 in WI.I like the triangle for jumbos pretty close together. You have to be within 150yds of your spread and I set my stuff up reasonably close as to present a small school effect,but it also depends on the structure I;m on,For example ,if I know the eyes like to run at a specific depth along an island or shore sometimes I just leap-frog down the structure concentrating on key areas. Sometimes a straight line seems to work the best,I just let the fish tell me what to do.Keep your gloves dry and don't let your beer freeze. Plenty of time on the ice to make up excuses for why your late again! :'(
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2004, 10:43 AM »
I sometimes start a pattern of some kind but always end up with some staggered vshapes and some rows and I keep mine pretty close(10-15 yards apart). Here on Lake Champlain we can have total of 15 tipups. Which is great, but we have no limits on how far people can spread them. This is a big problem because people will literally spread tip ups a half mile across the lake and run their 4 wheelers, sleds, or trucks to their tipups.Should have run to tipups unless you have a disability :'(
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

pikelane

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2004, 05:12 AM »
what a crock, in michigan you can have only 2 lines out at once, whether jigging or tip ups, so it really doesn't matter for me...new regulations only allow to keep 2 pike as well...

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2004, 10:41 AM »
I use the V shape going from shallow to deep if with a buddy using half a dozen tip ups. If I am alone I follow the structure going from shallow to deep or right along the edge of a dropp off if I can find it. :'(
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2004, 08:59 PM »
I generally run my TWO allowed tip-ups in somewhat of a line.  ;)

trapperdirk

« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2004, 03:51 AM »
 Were only allowed two lines too so I guess I'm with Tipup and they are in a line . We must also keep ours to within 197 feet of the fisherman with an unobstructed view .  :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.