Author Topic: Split-shot question  (Read 1183 times)

Offline benny4117

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Fishing
Split-shot question
« on: Feb 18, 2011, 09:36 AM »
Newb to tip-up fishing here so any help is greatly appreciated....But my question is when using a split shot on your tip ups, where do you guys place them?  I've read to put where the tip-up line meets your leader, other say closer to the bait.  Any suggestions or does it not really matter? (i know some people if use drop sinkers on tip-ups as well)

Thnx

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Split-shot question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2011, 09:47 AM »
Depends on what your fishing for and the mood of the fish. A weight placed farther away from the bait gives the bait more freedom to move,and if the fish are sluggish they may not chase it,so placing the shot closer keeps the bait anchored so the fish does not have to chase.When fishing for pike I place a 1/8 oz rubber twist on weight about 2 ft from my big 6-8 inch bait,that gives the bait some room to show off and attract Mr pike.When fishing for eyes or perch,I place a shot 6-8 inches above the bait.

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2011, 04:25 PM »
Depends on what your fishing for and the mood of the fish. A weight placed farther away from the bait gives the bait more freedom to move,and if the fish are sluggish they may not chase it,so placing the shot closer keeps the bait anchored so the fish does not have to chase.When fishing for pike I place a 1/8 oz rubber twist on weight about 2 ft from my big 6-8 inch bait,that gives the bait some room to show off and attract Mr pike.When fishing for eyes or perch,I place a shot 6-8 inches above the bait.
i always rig my leaders like this: i take a small red swivel and tie my tipup line to a 6ft section of 11.5# frog hair fluorocarbon line and put on a daichi gold hook about a size 8 with a eagle claw green split shot about 2 fett above the hook. rig the minnow behind the dorsal but not too deep and kill almost every time now that is witches to flouro

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2011, 04:37 PM »
i alway put mine 2 feet up on my 4 foot leader

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2011, 04:45 PM »
Where ever you decide to put it, just make sure it will slide back and forth fairly easily ! The reason being, if you are fighting a fish close to the hole and the split shot is squeezed down tight and the split shot hangs up on the ice when the fish runs, Pop goes the line !! Also the little bit of pouring slag in the bottom of the line groove of the split shot can cut the line like a knife if they are squeezed down too tight !

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2011, 05:03 PM »
Do you guys ever have the issue of gills hitting the sinker-no interest in any bait? I've fished with a camera for a few years and seen it happen. They hit the sinker and as soon as I move the bait up in front of their nose, they turn... I've tried downsizing to the smallest fly I can find but they still shy away. Is it the hook that scares them?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.