Author Topic: Ice Shanty or flasher?  (Read 6212 times)

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Shanty or flasher?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 08, 2017, 09:21 AM »
Flasher first, most of the time I leave my shanty at home. Unless wind chill is below zero you can dress warm enough to not need a shanty. I have two shanties that are at home 75% of the time.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Oct 08, 2017, 10:04 AM »
Start checking Craig's List and the For Sale area on this site! Good luck!!
And e-bay , and classifieds in your area

Offline Iceballs204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Oct 11, 2017, 10:57 PM »
I agree with the posters that mentioned by used. You might be able to find a deal if someone upgrades for the new season.
I purchased a shelter first. I'm glad i did bc I want my wife and if guests comes to stay warm. The coldest I've endured was -49*c with 70 k winds. Good luck and stay warm

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Oct 11, 2017, 11:09 PM »
keep an eye on CL, people want to unload gear for new stuff

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Oct 12, 2017, 10:24 PM »
Hey all,

So I really don't have much equipment yet, but Im going to add to my equipment this winter.  My dilemma is that I dont have enough to buy both a ice shanty and a flasher. Im not really big on freezing on the lake, but also it gets frustrating drilling a million holes and not knowing where the fish are. What do you think would be the smarter purchase for a new ice fisherman?

I could probably set you up with both.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Oct 13, 2017, 12:01 AM »
   I could probably set you up with both.
Amen brother. I was thinking the same thing, but I am quite a ways away.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Oct 13, 2017, 10:17 AM »
flasher.  when i first started i had everything but a flasher and i ice fished for 2 years before i was like, never again.  i bought a bunch of equipment 2nd hand and a flasher was in it a few years later.  i tried again and with a flasher in hand i was hooked. 

you can find used equipment pretty easily.

i'd much rather pick my days or bundle up and fish with a flasher than be able to fish everyday without one. 

Offline Team_Reload

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Oct 17, 2017, 09:00 PM »
Hey all,

So I really don't have much equipment yet, but Im going to add to my equipment this winter.  My dilemma is that I dont have enough to buy both a ice shanty and a flasher. Im not really big on freezing on the lake, but also it gets frustrating drilling a million holes and not knowing where the fish are. What do you think would be the smarter purchase for a new ice fisherman?

I know it has been suggested a lot already but get both. I found a frabill recon one man flip over a year or so ago at and auction for $25. It was almost new condition. Find a used vexilar fl-8 or look for sales. If you can swing one or the other spend your money on a flasher and buy a use one man flip over. You can buy hub shelters cheap but they are a pain to move. I bought one my first year and hardly used it because of this reason. With a one man flip over you can drill a hole, drop your electronics in, and check for fish. If you find fish flip your shanty over and stay warm, if not move on. Hun shelters are heavier and are at least 3 times slower. You will find a cheap one man. Spend your money on electronics. I got an LX-7 last year and words can not explain how many more fish I caught. No because it’s an lx-7 , a fl-8 would about do the same exact thing with nearly the same exact results 95% of the time. Enjoy your time out with both items you mentioned. You won’t regret getting both even if the shanty is an old recon. Good luck

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Oct 18, 2017, 06:58 AM »
For the first couple years I was on the ice I fished sitting on a bucket. Sometimes the weather was pretty nasty too. The first year I ended up with a cheap old fish finder and I knew I wouldn't want to be out there without electronics. The second year I had an ice-45. The third year I got the clam. The clam is comfy and gets me out of the weather but half the time I fish with it open so I might as well be sitting on a bucket... well, except that swivel seat is way more comfy and I can flip any time I want to go dark or the weather changes. I'll ice fish without my flip, but I won't go without my flasher!

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Oct 18, 2017, 06:03 PM »
I use an FL8 and it does everything that I need it to do. Haven't even thought of upgrading.

If I had to do without my one man flip over or my FL8, the decision would be easy. I can always dress warmer, but the FL8 is my eyes below the ice!

Offline wideerlaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Oct 20, 2017, 03:53 PM »
My vote as most of the other posts would be a flasher.  I rarely take a shanty out unless the windy is really bad or it is really cold. I'd say 80+% of the time I don't take a shanty, but I 100% of the time I take my flasher.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Oct 20, 2017, 04:39 PM »
I have everything you could imagine for fishing. Sometimes I even catch and keep my own chubs for pike. I'd say shack, then flasher. Cold people catch more fish because they can't afford to be bored.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Oct 25, 2017, 04:03 AM »
you get anything yet pro fisher

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Oct 25, 2017, 08:31 AM »
http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=12 check here for some excellent deals on used fish finders
Look at facebook ice fishing for sale groups too, you can often find very cheap flips and hubs on there

You should have no problem getting both items used for the price of a new shelter or finder. I started out with no electronics, no shelter...it was a huge waste of time! I got a cheap fishtv camera at a yardsale, hated it, upgraded to a fish finder - it completely changed the game! Having a fish finder meant more time spent on the ice, being productive, so I added a 1 man flip soon after.

Catchin' Fish

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #44 on: Oct 25, 2017, 09:26 AM »
My story I bought a shelter first ...a Clam 6800...my buddy bought a SM Mag 2000 chipper  at the same time ...both changed the way we fished ....tip up fished...for pickerel  ...then came the Mr Heater Buddy ...even better ...did a little jigging inside that without much success .Then came my Vexilar FL18 ...that was due to a bigger interest in ice fishing via In-Fisherman TV,Video and their magazine ...then came a flip over HT Polar Escape...once again a game changer . Then an even more increased interested and focus on jigging when some buddies became involved . With todays information highway filled with tons and tons of information ,reviews and deals it would be easier to be a great jigging fisherman now then it was when I was first introduced . My many many tip ups, which I still have, have been replaced with tip downs. My prey has changed from pickerel to pan fish. I believe your choice boils down to what kind of fisherman are you or aspire to be ....a good seven gallon bucket ,a flasher and a good rod and reel will bring in more fish and make you more productive overall .My biggest takeway/advice for jigging ...scale down your line to match your prey..your lures in your tackle box will be like new lure ...acting much different .Good luck with your choice ...keep us posted.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Oct 25, 2017, 10:48 AM »
get a fishing buddy who will always go with you, and buy one of each of equal price. best of both worlds and someone to fish with.
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline adieatrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Nov 02, 2017, 10:11 AM »
https://stcloud.craigslist.org/spo/d/vexilar-fl-18/6370003324.html

Good deal on a FL-18 if he will ship it to you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.