New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: gulp! waxie or maggots  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Z-Ray

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "love them crappies"
gulp! waxie or maggots
« on: Jan 05, 2009, 08:16 PM »
has anyone tried the new gulp waxies or maggots? i just started using the gulp products this year on open water & they worked great. hope the same is true on hard water.
R.E.J.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: gulp! waxie or maggots
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:51 PM »
used the gulp glow maggots when i ran outa real ones..i did catch perch but the bite slowed way down when i switched. ended up just using eyes instead.. only tried them once but i wouldn't take them as my primary bait..

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2009, 04:53 AM »
Gulp pink waxies worked fine for crappies and gills last weekend. I'd switch up with a few spikes too but the fish hit the gulp well.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2009, 05:32 AM »
trying them for the first time myself this year.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2009, 05:54 AM »
I've been using Gulp Waxies in white with some good success, but the Gulp Maggots in Natural white just not working for me??? They don't outfish natural baits. They are good when you are in a pinch or forgot your natural bait at home, very convenient and durable.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline adkwiley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2009, 09:04 AM »
I haven't had any luck with the maggots.  I have a few containers, one in chartreuse and one in orange.  Any one ever use the gulp alive minnows on tip ups?  I have some bodies of water up here where use of bait fish is prohibited.  I'm gonna give them a go today due to not having the receipt for my bait fish i have in  my bucket.  Heard of a guy out and didn't have a receipt, the DEC gave him a 90 dollar fine and dumped chlorine in his bucket to kill his bait!

Offline skyphix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2009, 09:18 AM »
Ive been using the gulp alive! maggots in white. They work but you've gotta jig a little more often to get the bite. Don't work quite as well as real maggots but last three or four times as long. Going to try the waxies once this jar runs out. They're a little expensive but after ~17 hours of fishing and spilling half the jar on the ice I still have a little over half the jar left.
Eric

Offline Ice Shark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2009, 09:28 AM »
Used both but like the waxies better.  The perch have been really into the chartreuse color lately. :)

Offline Z-Ray

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "love them crappies"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2009, 04:46 PM »
thanks for the info. i just got some pink gulp alive waxies this morning! im going out this weekend to try them on some pan fish. i will let you know how they work. thanks again, be safe on the ice & happy fishing!!!
R.E.J.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:21 AM »
i used gulp maggots in white yesterday, and they worked. didn,t have real maggots to test them against though.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:27 AM »
Used both but like the waxies better.  The perch have been really into the chartreuse color lately. :)
we use the chartreuse maggots  as a attractatant with real maggots on a spoon jigging for crappies i think it helps   mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.