New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Finding your own fish  (Read 2350 times)

Offline sirandmrsperch

• IceShanty Rookie
Finding your own fish
« on: Feb 06, 2011, 05:25 PM »
Anyone else have to find the fish for everyone else? You go to a spot you have fished every year just you and a friend. You go back to the spot the next weekend and low and behold there is your friend and 16 huts there waiting for you. You go to a different spot because you know the fish have been scared out of there and there is someone sitting there just  waiting for you.  What happen to the day when people found their own fish instead of   waiting for someone to find them for you. Have people really gotten that lazy. It's called fishing as in finding the fish and having fun. It's not called follow the leader. I just want to fish not have to worry about  someone drilling 20ft away from me and there goes my fish. Sorry if this sounds like I'm complaining. I'm not, just tired of getting chased out of a nice quiet fishing spot.

adam2000

Re: Finding your own fish
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2011, 05:42 PM »
then dont bring anyone

Offline sirandmrsperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2011, 05:46 PM »
Got that right!!!!!!!!

Offline Ed D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2011, 06:13 PM »
tight lips----leave decoy spots

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2011, 06:17 PM »
it also amazes me about the reports page, with the way people blab about locations.... hello, this is the internet....there are hundreds of lurkers just looking to take your spot

Offline fishfeind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2011, 06:20 PM »
That is so true! A friend met me at a lake last weekend set up 10' away which isn't so bad.  then I proceed to spankem (15 perch 20 min LIMIT)he then proceeds to complain about only cathching 4 before the school moves on. So today I go back and low and behold he shows up an hour later sets up 4' from me Again I catch 15 he and his 2 buddies catch 7! and he says he needs to find a better spot! BS!
Getem caught

Offline siyakadog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2011, 06:25 PM »
Very true- u only take friends that you trust.  Im not a huge fisherman- but duck hunting my buddy and I  only go together and we made a pact-we never ever take anyone to our honey holes.

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2011, 06:32 PM »
Those guys aint your friends man.!!!!!! ;)

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2011, 06:42 PM »
Sooooo true.    I took a so called biddy to a spot after he complained about not catching any fish we had a great day of fishing.     The next weekend comes and " he had plans" so I said I'll stay home and do things around the house.    Well after a couple of hours home and a good day out I decided to go back and do some fishing in that spot only to find a group fishing there   One guy was nice enough to meet me and ask me what I thought I was doing?  That his buddy found this spot and I should keep moving.     Let's just say I learned my lesson but I did stay around and caught some fish.   Boy was my suposive buddy surprised to see me.   Never again has he fished with me.     As for posting.   The bodies of water are large enough that people still have to work sometimes to find the spots were the fish like to hang
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

adam2000

« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2011, 07:59 PM »
it also amazes me about the reports page, with the way people blab about locations.... hello, this is the internet....there are hundreds of lurkers just looking to take your spot

X2 , no offense to anyone here but im never gonna post where i am getting fish

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:07 PM »
Finding your own fish is the best way to fish. Why go fishing over picked over fish ? It never works for me, I always go where there is nobody or at minimal drill where is no other holes and usually always find fish.

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2011, 09:44 PM »
generally, the less you say and the fewer/more select people you fish with the better off you are. Telling the truth is important and all but I straight out lie through my teeth if i'm trying to protect a spot. i'll tell you it's slow when i've got a bucket full without thinking twice.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2011, 12:36 AM »
The best 2 inventions, a flip over hut and 5gal bucket lids. Giving info on a well kown communiuty spot is one thing but giving up info shared with you in confidence is in my opion punnishable by multiple nutshot. Even on community spots if I'm on good fish I'll flip the hut and keep the lid on the bucket or my buffer zone between others could shrink from 50ft to 5ft, seen it too many times. I'll admit it doesn't really feel right being that way but when the alternative is having some jackhole come over with his gas auger slamming holes around me spooking fish in 7ft of water or less you gotta do what you gotta do although I have invited guys over if they have kids with them because it's important they have fun to keep them coming back instead of glued to the xbox.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2011, 07:03 AM »
i share spots with certain friends and thats it.  i hate being crowded and shanty followers.  i try to stay away from people i wish people could give a mutual respect.  it doesnt happen though.  my buddy went out with another friend to a spot that he has never been to where a friend was fishing.  first thing out of his mouth was this is one of my spots no need to be giving it out to everyone.  i am the same way.  If i go out to a spot and get out there late and someone is there i move somewhere else or give them over 150 yards of room.

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:35 AM »
Always amazed about people bragging (or not) just put it out there on the web " bite was so so, 25 keeper perch, and 6 lakers....." ....really? your spot will be crowded next day. For me I just give out ice condition, then again I might be the worst fisherman out there  ::)

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:52 AM »
I'm all for people catching fish. I have no problem giving a general area , ie. northeast side. I'll also give them depth and what I used. I won't say where I accessed from. Point them in the right direction and let them do the rest. I don't like it when people don't give u your space though. Fishing shanty town is like hunting a pressured buck. These fish are very spooky. You'll have better like finding your own fish away from shanty town.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline woodroce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:40 AM »

I give general information.  I tell small secrets in messages, not in threads.

Telling someone where I railed some smelt is different than a few other secrets that I will NEVER tell

I help without giving too much away.

Sometimes, however, you could tell a guy EVERYTHING and he ain't going to get the fish.  You can take him to your spot and give him your pole with your favorite rig and he just won't get them; he ain't got the touch.

I love when you watch a bunch of fellers fishing in one of your favorite spots and they aren't getting much.  Then, right after they leave, you move in and nail them.   

God, I love fishing.

"Women fear me & fish love me...  er, I mean..."

Offline timdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:47 AM »
Im new to the ice game...
 but as a long time steelheader ive learned to respect the time other guys have put in to find spots. ive burned thousands of miles worth of gas and gone thrue toomany Gazetteers to just give up spots freely. i even know not  to ask where guys are hammering fish, becuse they may send me on a wild goose chase anyway! LOL!!! when im shown a spot by a friend, its an unwritten rule that you dont kiss and tell!!! "How-to" is different than "where-to". and i have no problems helping guys out with technique and tactics.

Offline flukeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2011, 10:06 AM »
I always laugh when people complain about spots like they own them or they are secret. With today's maps and electronics people can easily find good spots to fish. I really start rolling when they want to complain about fishing when they are chasing schooling fish like perch and walleyes. Someone is always going to be at the spot the school passes, and someone is always going to be 10 feet away and miss the school completely. Or have the hot bait choice or not.

I don't sell fish and hardly keep any. I take people new to the sport quite often and give them the fish if we do keep them. I am lucky and get to fish often and catch so many perch and walleye during the fall it is not an issue of filling the freezer so to speak. I go to socialize with people who have the same interest as I do and get a tug on my line every now and then. I also believe that in life "you get the benefits of what you give in this world". I have no problem reporting on the board what body of water I was on, or what lure I was using to be successful. I guess I don't really give spots so to speak, you would have to look at my map and GPS to see that I suppose.

I guess if I sold my fish or needed 100 baggies of fish in my freezer I may think differently. And with anything in this world there will always be jackholes around to pester people. I guess I must just be lucky, because there are guides who don't get on the water soft/hard as often as I do and the jackholes are definitely not the norm. So either my axiom on "getting what you give" is true or like souls like to hang out together. It's fishing after all.

So if you don't want me to bother you, just let me know when I say hi and I'll move on. I know I can find someone out on the ice that will want to share a cup of my coffee or a can of my beer   ;D

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2011, 10:14 AM »
I always laugh when people complain about spots like they own them or they are secret. With today's maps and electronics people can easily find good spots to fish. I really start rolling when they want to complain about fishing when they are chasing schooling fish like perch and walleyes. Someone is always going to be at the spot the school passes, and someone is always going to be 10 feet away and miss the school completely. Or have the hot bait choice or not.

I don't sell fish and hardly keep any. I take people new to the sport quite often and give them the fish if we do keep them. I am lucky and get to fish often and catch so many perch and walleye during the fall it is not an issue of filling the freezer so to speak. I go to socialize with people who have the same interest as I do and get a tug on my line every now and then. I also believe that in life "you get the benefits of what you give in this world". I have no problem reporting on the board what body of water I was on, or what lure I was using to be successful. I guess I don't really give spots so to speak, you would have to look at my map and GPS to see that I suppose.

I guess if I sold my fish or needed 100 baggies of fish in my freezer I may think differently. And with anything in this world there will always be jackholes around to pester people. I guess I must just be lucky, because there are guides who don't get on the water soft/hard as often as I do and the jackholes are definitely not the norm. So either my axiom on "getting what you give" is true or like souls like to hang out together. It's fishing after all.

So if you don't want me to bother you, just let me know when I say hi and I'll move on. I know I can find someone out on the ice that will want to share a cup of my coffee or a can of my beer   ;D

Well at least you have the courtesy to say hi when you roll up on someone

FrankM

« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:27 AM »
I have never considered them to be "my spots" or "my holes".  They don't become "my fish" until I catch them and put them in my bucket. Thes lakes I fish are big enough for everyone to have a chance to get some fish.  I have no problem catching enough fish and I have no problem sharing info.  If I go out and find someone else in the spot I had originally intended to fish I just go find another spot. 

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:40 AM »
I agree with you all to a certain degree. I watch this site because I want to catch fish and I will share where I was fishing. I don't want to drive from North Tonawanda to lets say Honoye Lake and not catch a fish and waste all that gas on nothing.
I thought this sites purpose was to communicate with other fishermen and help them with possibly locating fish. share information and tell some stories.
Would you like to spend $50.00 for fuel and not have anything to show for it?
I go to my normal fishing grounds like Longpoint at Chautauqua or the ponds of Rochester but if some other lake is doing better I would be willing to go there and try it.
A bad day fishing is better than being at work.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2011, 12:00 PM »
when im shown a spot by a friend, its an unwritten rule that you dont kiss and tell!!! "How-to" is different than "where-to". and i have no problems helping guys out with technique and tactics.

Could not agree more with this !

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2011, 12:57 PM »
I have no problem finding them here. They have a big sign next to the meat section.. ;D

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:44 PM »
I have never considered them to be "my spots" or "my holes".  They don't become "my fish" until I catch them and put them in my bucket. Thes lakes I fish are big enough for everyone to have a chance to get some fish.  I have no problem catching enough fish and I have no problem sharing info.  If I go out and find someone else in the spot I had originally intended to fish I just go find another spot. 
My point exactly

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline Windknots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:11 PM »

If there are 16 shanties in the place I am going, I'm likely going to be somewhere around them or nearby.  I went 2 weeks ago, set up outside the main group of 10 shanties and a guy was setting up 10 yards from me.  He fired up his gas auger, drilled his holes, I watched him all the while I was catching fish.  (He didn't know I was catching fish, but I was).  Doesn't bother me, like there to be people around.  Went out to talk to some people who caught a 26 and 30" pike, that was cool. 

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:57 PM »
That's like the people that glean this site for info but never give any.Where did you learn all those spots from?? Was it just luck? And when you find them do you really think your the first one and how long do you think you should have the area to yourself.Good luck and stay dry..
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline Wind Flag

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2011, 05:58 AM »
I'm still learning the sport of ice fishing, so I'm not fortunate enough to have my own secret spots and tricks. But there has been a lot of good people both on this site and in person who have been nice enough to share information with me. Those tricks will stay between my father and I, in respect to the wishes of those who were willing to share.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:25 AM »
  when I go to a friends spot gps stays off , if i see some one close to one of my spots i just move on its theres for the day but that doen't happen very often because the lake is quite large , I to have lots of time to fish so i fill my freezer during the winter with eyes and perch ,almost never keep them the rest of the year , if you have a micro hump that you found just don't share ,and not everything is on a chip or map ,after almost 40+ years still finding new things

Offline flyfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:27 AM »
If i want to fish an area where someone else is fishing I always ask if they mind first.  i cant say that I've ever been told to move on.  Most of the time folks will invite you to go ahead and fish.  Likewise I don't care if someone fishes near me.  I don't have a deed to the lake in my pocket and neither does anyone else.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.