New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: respectable distance from other shanties?  (Read 3061 times)

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
Re: respectable distance from other shanties?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:24 PM »
I have done this in the past, go up to the people that are fishing in the spot you would like to fish near ,ask them if they are having any luck ???.then I ask them  do not mind if you set up close by ???you like the spot 90% of the time they don't care and you get to fish close by,maybe make some new friends,On the other hand the other 10% act like a-holes, no one owns these lakes put it were you want ,you already tried being nice ;D I like to stay as far away as they are between there tipups

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2010, 06:55 PM »
it all depends were ur fishing if its an area where threre lots of walkers it will be more crowded but what gets me is when the lake is large like oneida and there is good ice every where guys come set up right near u, if i have a spot where i got them the day before and when i get out there the next day threres people there i start cutting in new areas threre always more fish, and i would rather fish away from people

Offline papa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 23, 2010, 06:47 AM »
like SSminnow said, his shanty is is almost 300 yards away from the people's shanty who are complaining about us being "right where they set up".  when you spread your tip ups out over 400 yards, it's hard to tell someone their shanty is "where we set up".  maybe as booker said, they don't want people knowing what they are(or are not)catching on tournament days. hmmm.... :nono:  i'm not trying to start any B.S., i'm just sayin, yaknow?  i can see where people take fishing serious, but being over 200 yards away, what's the real underlying issue here? :tipup:
i have know issue if someone fishes within 15feet of me. i do not own the lake;but this year when a guy had 400yards of tip ups on a small body of water that sucks.we all need to use a little common sense and just get along

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 23, 2010, 03:34 PM »
One thing these guys with permanent shantys have to understand is that WE don't know when they are going to be fishing next. I wait all week long to ice fish wherever I may head. The last thing I need is to stay away from a permanent shanty only to find that he's not there that day!!!!! As I mentioned earlier, I have no problems 10 yards away. If my line gets tangled with yours cut it. Same for me. A friend and I fished Tupper Lake the day before the Northern Challenge to "sharpen" our skills. The wind was howling that day. We when about 1/4 off the north end to fish. While setting up I thought I saw a tip-up about 75 yards away. Well after setting up we went to the shanty to get warm. Five minutes later we see a guy on a 4 wheeler checking their tip-ups. With binoculars we followed him to where they were set up. Almost a 1/2 mile away. They didn't say anything to us but a 1/2 mile is a long way to say you are fishing too close to me. My 2 cents............
      Kim :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 23, 2010, 05:56 PM »
If I am jigging anyone,as long as they are not a-holes can fish right beside me. In most cases, if I am fishing alone and it is a nasty day out people can feel free to come on in and warm up a bit. In shallower water I just hope to be respected. Tip-up fishing is a different story, but not really I just would rather no one sets up inside my spread.

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:16 PM »
years ago i was told as long as you can raise your voice to talk to the next guy without yelling you are a good distance for tip-ups 

Offline water_wolf

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A water_wolf in sheepheads clothing
« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:01 PM »
If I am jigging anyone,as long as they are not a-holes can fish right beside me. In most cases, if I am fishing alone and it is a nasty day out people can feel free to come on in and warm up a bit. In shallower water I just hope to be respected. Tip-up fishing is a different story, but not really I just would rather no one sets up inside my spread.

+1
Rich Ferguson

Offline fish up!!

• IceShanty Rookie
  • which one of you guys ate all the minows!!!Thanks
« Reply #37 on: Jan 23, 2010, 10:09 PM »
Marcus well said man, i feel the same way. I think we should all try to enjoy the short time we have on the hard water!!!!   good luck guys !!!
Thanks Dale    Stay on top!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.