Author Topic: Ice fishing snowmobile  (Read 3531 times)

Offline Pathfinder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice fishing snowmobile
« on: Oct 27, 2013, 10:46 AM »
its time for a snowmobile. My question is what options should I look for in an ideal ice fishing snowmobile. Anyone have pictures of their "perfect sled" or any suggestions of a good model to look at?

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Re: Ice fishing snowmobile
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2013, 10:53 AM »
I would look at Ski-Doo Skandics, Tundras or Polaris Wide Tracks.  Personally though, I've opted with the tracked ATV option due to the dynamics of greater carrying capacity, greater utility, increased flotation and single machine use.  Yes, I realize that it's more expensive than looking at a used sled, but...
Chris Raymond

Offline Nozzlejocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin...where God goes to relax!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2013, 11:02 AM »
I have to second the thought of looking at the Skidoo Skandics.  Having had one for a number of years, I can say they make a great fishing sled.  Great power, stable platform, and good running.  There are others like it, but I can't really comment having no actual experience with them.  One thing to look for though, is electric start.  I don't have it, but really wish I did.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2013, 12:13 PM »
Electric Start and reverse are a must! Fan cooled sleds have some merits on sparsely snow covered lakes. Almost everything else is only limited by your imagination and your wallet. This is my ice machine...

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2013, 12:25 PM »
Bart - great looking set up you have.  Chris - I agree - I went the ATV with tracks, direction, and do not regret it.  My two biggest concerns are total weight (at certain times of the season, early and late ice) and not able to cross water, if it's more than 24-30" deep.  Sleds can skip some open water relatively easily.  Open shorelines also present a problem, tracks need a little ramp to get up on the edge of ice (there ain't no pulling wheelies with tracks, to get up on) :woot:
The Skidoo Expedition, I've heard, makes for an excellent machine, for ice fishing.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2013, 07:26 AM »
Bart - great looking set up you have.  Chris - I agree - I went the ATV with tracks, direction, and do not regret it.  My two biggest concerns are total weight (at certain times of the season, early and late ice) and not able to cross water, if it's more than 24-30" deep.  Sleds can skip some open water relatively easily.  Open shorelines also present a problem, tracks need a little ramp to get up on the edge of ice (there ain't no pulling wheelies with tracks, to get up on) :woot:
The Skidoo Expedition, I've heard, makes for an excellent machine, for ice fishing.

True on the skipping water, but I don't think I would be doing that even if I had a sled...I'll go fish someplace else at that point.  ;-)
Chris Raymond

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2013, 07:56 AM »
Not many will agree with me, but I have a bit different idea of an ideal ice fishing sled. Cheap. This one cost me $200 total. No e-start or reverse, but it's light and so simple it's not even funny. Fan cooled Yamaha 340 long track 2 up:

I ride performance trail sleds all winter, but this one I don't care if I ride it on dirt, pavement, bare ice for miles and miles, towing too much weight... it's nice having a 2 up beater long track that weighs less than 375lbs. Good utility machine. 
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2013, 08:18 AM »
I like the Skidoo Sleds also. They are a proven machine for quality and durability.
If you are just icefishing many models will do what you want. If you also want to use it for trail riding etc. then you will want one with better suspension.
I have a 2008 Tundra 550F and a 2011 expedition sport 600ACE. The Ace is an expensive option but I love mine for the fuel economy quietness torque and lack of oil burning smell like my 2 stroke.
If trail riding is also in you plans or you ride long distances to the lake then I recommend the ecxpedition sport.
Other wise a tundra or even a scandic would serve you well.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2013, 08:21 AM »
A 2 up, long track are better in deep snow, also a studded track is necessary on glare ice, like beginning of season or late season a non studded track will get you no where fast. If you just want it for ice fishing you should be able to find a desent used one for less than $1,000

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2013, 08:42 AM »
Skandics are great machines no doubt, But their little brother will out do them hands down.  The tundra is absolutely the best machine for the dollar. Find a tundra II with reverse and you will keep it forever. I have one and would never get rid of it. Problem is finding one used. People who have them NEVER sell them. I got mine at a dnr sale. They are light enough so that if you ever do bog her down all you do is put your snowshoes on and tamp out a ramp and drive her right out.  They wont win any races, But will go anywhere. A buddy has a elan and it works great. Takes a little more "body English" in deep snow, but works great for a fishing sled. Whatever you buy, Make sure it is a long track and you can pick up the front or the back to move it around.   Steve

Offline NorthernFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2013, 09:23 AM »
I used to run a snowmobile, but recently switched to a 4-wheeler with chains and have never looked back.  If I HAD to use a snowmobile, I would go with the cheapest 2-up, fan cooled sled I could find.  That's just my 2 cents...

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2013, 11:12 AM »
The snow was so deep last year the guys with 4 wheelers where very limited where they could go, the snowmobiles went anyplace they wanted.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2013, 11:21 AM »
The snow was so deep last year the guys with 4 wheelers where very limited where they could go, the snowmobiles went anyplace they wanted.

Thats how it usually is here in Alaska too every winter.
It was funny to watch one fellow get pulled out while hooked to two smowmobiles. He was bouncing across the top of the snow trying to get those guys to stop. It was hilarious.
He was going along fine on the trail the snomachines packed but once the trails fanned out on the lake he broke through the crust and was stuck instantly.
Now if I lived where deep snow was rare I would consider a 4 wheeler but otherwise it is snowmobile all the way for me.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2013, 11:42 AM »
I was "grounded" from fishing with my wheeler a few years back; because of rhe snow.  Even chains were a NO-GO!  I went for almost a month before the conditions changed the snow on the ice.  That following fall, I had a set of tracks mounted.  Now I tow the sleds out of their predicaments.  :flex:
I know - I could have purchased a good used sled for what I paid for the tracks - BUT - I already had a lot of time and work invested in customizing mounts and boxes on my ATV.  The tracks were an easy decision for me.
Best thing would be to have both, a wheeler and a sled - both set up for the ice.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2013, 11:37 PM »
Depends on where you live, how much snow and the cold temps you get.  My wheeler doesn't like starting in cold temps, but he snow machine does well.  I need a work horse and run a 4-stroke skandic for hauling my shanty many ah miles through at times rough conditions. 
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline justicemedic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2013, 12:12 AM »
I use a 4 stroke wide track Bearcat so I can go way out to the remote lakes with a lot of gear and not use a ton of fuel.

Offline ranger_fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2013, 05:52 PM »
i went with a regular polaris 550 fan then i geared it down a bit put a 144" long 1.25" studded track. its light and so far unstopable, just have to finish the rack this fall

Offline ff318

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2013, 06:48 PM »
Im not trying to hijack the post but What year Polaris 550 fan did you gear down and lengthen the track? And what kind of pulling power would you say that has? 

sleds are great when you have snow. Quads tend to get stuck when towing something in one foot plus of snow on the ice with my limited ice fishing experience.
flag em and tag em

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here....fishy.....fishy
« Reply #18 on: Oct 29, 2013, 07:30 PM »
This is what i just bought

2014 Expedition sport 900 ace 16" x 154"

This is what i use to use and I could take this thing anywhere cant wait to see what the new one can do 

2004 Arctic Cat sabercat 500 lx  13.5" x 129"

Offline PaperMouthPersuer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 30, 2013, 10:39 AM »
Nice setups!

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2013, 11:19 AM »
I pull two sleds if heading out solo on the snowmobile for a longer trip, short trips I just pull the frabil shuttle and leave the jet sled at home. I don't like racks on my snowmobiles as I do a lot of recreational riding as well so everything is hauled on the sleds. I run all liquid cooled polaris's except the old Kawasaki intruder 440 fan cooled because rarely is not enough snow ever an issue up here and if its minimal snow cover the Honda 3 wheers and Polaris sportsman atv take over fishing duty if the ice isn't thick enough for the truck.
I'm a big fan of triple's because of the extra torque and run these two as my main ice sleds
1996 Polaris Ultra 680cc 136"x1 3/4" track

And the 1996 Polaris XLT SP 600cc 136x1 1/2" track

Offline ranger_fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Oct 30, 2013, 05:46 PM »
i did a 04 550 classic for gearing i think i went down 1 tooth on the small gear and up 2 on the big one. so far its been awesome for pulling I've got a clam x2 fully loaded with gear for 2 people  and i hardly noticed it was back there.

Offline stratos122

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 02, 2013, 06:57 PM »
I have a quad and a snowmobile i use them both allot for icefishing my snowmobile is a 1997 z440 i really like its very light and my quads a Polaris sportsman 850.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 02, 2013, 07:28 PM »
I use a 2001 Arctic Cat ZR800... It's a pretty big bruiser to get unstuck with my little 170 pound body, but it sure tows anything I want it to!

Go Beavers!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Nov 03, 2013, 06:31 AM »
I run a tundra It's is quite a work horse , and love it my back gives me fits from time to time so reverse is wonderful and my very first , I believe was a 1972 Attic cat lynx 292 it was great but from an old timers point any sled or wheeler that gets you out and back is a wonderful thing , remember the days of dragging my crap out a couple miles, so if I see someone doing this I always offer them a ride , never know when you may need a favor or a  hot spot is tossed your way ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.