Author Topic: last weeks fishing.  (Read 752 times)

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
last weeks fishing.
« on: Mar 17, 2008, 08:38 AM »
Hi Y'all,

Well i have been out most days this week fishing and its been great!! We did not catch much considering the time put in...WHO CARES

Went out the front of the house on Wednesday 12/03/07 (Lake Wabigoon) even though the fishing is very poor right there from February to late March, but its convenient as a venue when you only have an hour or so, and ya never know what might be lurking under the ice...lol. There are spots on Wabigoon that are good icefishing all winter, but the predominent fish walleye seem to like our little bay for spawning and they all but dissappear it seems until Late march .

I did remember though that it must have been about this time last year that i started to catch bigger pike there so i was hopeful, and sure enough withinn half an hour this beastie nearly pulled the rod through the hole......

NICE 26 INCH PIKE

This raised my hopes and i started to think that perhaps the Walleye had started to move in to the bay in numbers again, but for the next half hour i did not get a nibble. Just as i was packing away one of my rods i heard the bell on my other rod jangle, turned around and saw the rod tip being pulled slowly downward ..........

AHHHHHH.....A BABY ONE

Give it 2 weeks and the Walleye should be making a comeback, cant wait really cuz its wicked fishing litterally on your doorstep. I called it a day after that little guy as i was heading off early with my mate Dave in the morning.

Beaver Lake and Bear Narrows 13/03/07

On thursday i headed off with my mate Dave to a Beaver Lake, Dave wanted to try for walleye and said that he had done really well there in the summer....so despite having planned to spend my birthday trout fishing ( have you guessed i like fishing for trout yet?) i thought it would be good to try because of the chance of catching some BIG walleye .

It is only a little lake close to town so did not bother bringing the sled when the exercise would do us good , well boy did we get some excercise!!! Unlike Stormy Lake where i fish often, it had no snowmobile tracks to walk on, so we walked about 1 km through 3foot of snow....very tiring, especially with a sleigh with 100lbs of ice drills etc...and a back pack each.

Then we spent the best part of the 3hrs we stayed there searching for an underwater reef that Dave had found in the summer, not so easy to do on the ice....must have drilled around 20 holes, and even with the sonar we never found it. We did catch a couple of smallish pike and lost nearly half our bait to small perch before calling it a day and deciding to try Bear Narrows about half an hours drive away.

DAVE WITH A BEAVER LAKE PIKE

We got to Bear Narrows at around 3 pm, and there were a few other people fishing there already. They had a few pike and one guy had 2 18" walleye but said he had been there since 8am. But 18"walleye would do...lol. Well the bite was very slow to say the least and i caught one small enough to use for bait and Dave caught some small ones too, great day out all in all, more fish always welcome though.

DAVE CATCHING ANOTHER LITTLE ONE

Stormy Lake 14/03/08

Headed back to Snake Bay on Friday. This time i went with Matt my fishing buddy, it was his Birthday today and this was his venue choice....fine with me!!!! As usual the 5 day forcast was wrong and suddenly the night before the weather report changed from showing ....sunny, -2, and wind 5kmh to cloudy, 4-5cm snow, -10 and the worst bit..30kmh winds!!! A bit dissappointing but i suggested we take a tarp . What a good idea that was..... it shielded us from the wind which howled all day and just made the day so much more relaxing, it got even better when the sun came out and stayed out most of the afternoon.

VERY COMFORTABLE FOR A CHANGE

After we got our little shelter set up i was the first one to register a bite, i watched the fish on sonar chasing my bait up and down the water column as i jigged and tried to trigger a strike, i hooked into it but agonisingly it caught on the underside of the ice hole and i got to watch a decent sized one swim away....DOH!

Then it was Matt's turn, as we sat chatting about this and that we noticed his hand line spooling off the reel, Matt raced over just in time as it almost spooled him and got away....i managed to grab my camera and catch the epic battle......

MATT'S BIRTHDAY TROUT

I managed to catch another tiny one but that was the only real action of an otherwise perfect day in glorious sunshine out on the ice fishing for trout.....LOVE IT!!!

Sunday 16th March...Stormy Lake....again

Had a few hours to spare Sunday and since I left Stormy Lake 2 days ago happy that Matt caught his birthday trout, i felt somewhat cheated and had to get back there to get one myself, like i need an excuse...lol. So i headed off around 9:30am, glorious sunshine!!! and it was a balmy +1 again!!! spring is in the air....AT LAST!!!

Got set up by about 10:30am and watched huge shoals of bait fish on sonar for the first 2hours, had a couple of followers, but they were just window shopping, hey at least i knew there were fish around. So i started to change jigs, lures bait size to see how the fish reacted on the screen. At about 1pm the action started....but it wasn't fish....seems like Sunday afternoon on Stormy is rush hour, as there is a camp about 8 miles up the lake and for half an hour the people i guess that have been there all week for March Break were returning home. Once the last of the traffic disappeared the first bite hit, I was attending to my other rod at the time so did the well practised 25 yard dash................

GOTCHA!

Well that was the only fish i caught today, had a nice run, but the circle hook did not do its magic this time and despite the fish spooling about 50yrds of line before i struck the hook did not set. Happy with my catch and one eye on the clock (work tonight  ) i headed off home pretty happy.

I was not the only one with fishing planned today it seems, as coming across the ice road near home this lot were out doing the local ice hockey teams charity Walleye competition, might be warming up, but from the amount of trucks parked on the hard water i think we'll have ice for a while yet!!

FISHING 'DERBY' ON LAKE WABIGOON ICE ROAD

"SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: last weeks fishing.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2008, 08:39 PM »
Hey Simon,
Awesome post. Looks like you've been busy. Happy Birthday bud.
Lots of ice left for some walk-on fishing if you're interested. I seized up my sled yesterday so I will only be on foot for the remainder of the ice fishing season. Oh well!!
Again, congrats.
Glen

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: last weeks fishing.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2008, 06:43 AM »
Great read and pictures as well Viciouscirlce ;) :laugh:
Andrew

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.