Author Topic: Gloomy Monday Slabs  (Read 1754 times)

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Gloomy Monday Slabs
« on: Mar 04, 2008, 02:02 PM »
Matt and I met at the river at 9AM, the plan was to target crappie and bluegill. Weather called for a day of rain so we decided to tail close to home and target panfish at a local haunt. Armed some new jigs a good buddy of mine in Florida poured a few weeks back and a bay all to ourselves I couldn't wait. I had high hopes for fun fish filled day as I didn't to to bad here on Saturday. The jigs were prototypes and have never been used so I was anxious to give them a whirl. Only three exist and will ever so I tried to keep them away from the darting pike and weeds..turned out it was the only bait I used all day. Fished over a completely new spot for the morning hours and did well, catching a few crappie here and there. The size were on the small side but a sure sign of activity in the area. When I thought it was time to move Matt caught a good fish..giving us some confidence to stay put just a bit longer. I believe he was using a small pink jig and tail from Custom Jigs & Spins, meanwhile I was pounding away with my friends jig. I caught another one around 9'' and then the fish vanished.

We were working a steep drop right off of the weedline in 10-13 feet of water. Bottom was hard  and very weedy. The morning went on and we decided to move to another spot I had marked some fish earlier on in the day. Once we started working our jigs in the water column it was clear that crappie were on and nipping baits in full force...I 'flipped' the  trap and started raising fish. Matt then hooks into a good fish, needless to say we didn't have to move the rest of the day. The sun started to set and the crappies were getting more aggressive. Fish averaged 10-12'' and were keying into white, pink and chartreuse pattern jigs and plastics .

One of the biggest crappie I have ever seen was almost landed as well. Matt was fiddling with some gear in his tackle box when his rod got a good smack....he fought the thing right up to the hole and the hook popped right out, fish still in hole we both kind of just starred at it in amazement before it clicked to grab it...must have been at least 13'' - 15''. Just dogging' it at the hole. We were screaming. You probably would too if you had a crappie fill your entire 8'' hole and get stuck

Matt with a few slabs caught early in the morning

Smaller of pack...

I would like to give credit too...

Got into a couple of nice bluegill as well

Double SLABS! Released...

But not all, heres Matt with his 'take' on the day

Can't wait to get back at it this week  :)

-Andrew Cameron

Andrew

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
Re: Gloomy Monday Slabs
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2008, 06:41 PM »
Nicely done. 

Do ya know if Matt happened to pick up those hockey tickets outta my mailbox?  I'm working in Kingston this week...

D.

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2008, 07:37 PM »
Nicely done. 

Do ya know if Matt happened to pick up those hockey tickets outta my mailbox?  I'm working in Kingston this week...

D.

Don, It was a good day out and nice to see the bite starting to pick back up again. Matt had mentioned something about grabbing the tickets off of ya but I have no clue if he did yet. I will post tomorrow after chatting with him.

Andrew

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2008, 09:26 PM »
Andrew

Offline Icekimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2008, 10:49 PM »
crappiez! oh my.. one of my favorites for sure, good job guys!

Offline matt_aid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2008, 08:27 AM »
hey andrew are we heading off for some slabs???

let me know

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2008, 06:51 AM »
Nice Pile, I got know where near enuff crappie fishing in this season

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2008, 07:30 AM »
Nice Pile, I got know where near enuff crappie fishing in this season

Come out to Ottawa for a day this weekend. I can gaurentee ya a pail full of pannies  :D
Andrew

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.