Author Topic: Kenora region whitefish report  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Kenora region whitefish report
« on: Mar 03, 2008, 12:23 PM »
Hi folks,
Just a report to get Viciouscircle kicking himself for not taking a sick day ;D

Sunday morning saw me and my friends Mark and John snowmobiling form Kenora and hitting a lake west of here. We got there about 09:30 and drilled a bunch of holes and got to fishing. Almost immediately I tied into a tulibee. Shortly after that I got a small perch. Then it was like we were sitting on the Dead Sea.
Nothing, not even a bite for over an hour. I was starting to get the urge to move on when I tied into a nice whitefish of about 20". Soon afterwards I got into a succession of 3 more including my largest of about 24".
After a slow start Mark began getting some fish and we were not long until we were taking turns hauling up whiteys. John was getting mightily peed at this point ::)
Mark and I managed a double header to really set John off.
At about 2pm we agreed to wrap things up by 3pm. John said that right now would be good :embarassed:
Right afterwards John managed his first and only fish of the day so the skunk was off for him. Too bad really because you have got to know him to appreciate how bad it would have been to be on the other end of the ribbing.
At the final bell the whitefish results were: Snakehunter with 9, including 2 of 24", Mark with 6 with 1 of 24" and John with 1 good sized one.

Simon, you missed a good day here. Maybe we can hook up for some trout action soon though.
Here is a picture that should ring a bell and remind you of what you missed.

Regards to all,
Glen

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
Re: Kenora region whitefish report
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2008, 02:16 PM »
Hey Glen!

Nice one geeza, damn i'm gutted i could not go, was sitting at work yesterday afternoon with a pile of school reports to sort out thinking....'bet they have already got their limit'. Is that a ploughed ice road behind Mark in the piccy?

Anyway, i'm off for 3 weeks starting today, up to Winnipeg tomorrow (gonna get me one of those lowrance LMS-522c iGPS icemachine fish finders while i'm there :) ) I'll be back by wednesday so anytime your ready!! By the way, i'm sledless again cuz the windscreen i smashed last time we went still aint fixed, ordered the parts just waiting for them to arrive.

Laters....

Simon

PS, nice fish.....and its good to see Mark in the piccy again.
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2008, 04:15 PM »
I should have mentioned the 'One that got away' story - I think it was a big pike. I was talking to John when a fish almost took the rod out of my hand. I pulled up, it slammed it down. I told the guys I figured I had a big pike on when the darned thing bit through the line. I've pulled a lot of big pike up through the ice and this felt huge. Wish I could have landed it just for a photo.

Let me know when you are up for a fish. We'll see if our schedules mesh. You don't need a windshield for a few spots where the ride is short and not too fast if you can manage it.

When you are in Winnipeg have a look at the new Showdown by Aqua-Vu. It is a vertical ice fishing graph with a heated LCD display. From all the reports I've seen it looks like the dogs boll***s :D

Take care,
Glen

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2008, 10:14 PM »
Yeah those showdowns look awesome, i really like the heated screen cuz i dont think alot of these so called icefishing fishfinders with LCD screens take into consideration that idiots like us will go out in -25 or -30 not including windchill....lol. But i want fishfinder that will double up as  an upgrade for my boat this summer and this pricey one covers both, anyway...my wife says i can have it...lol. I'll sneak one of those Showdowns  into the Sainsbury's shopping trolley in the summer when she's not looking:whistle: . as for the sled i dont have the nerve to ask to borrow it again before i fix what i smashed the first time i borrowed it. The canines testicles...lol....ain t heard that one in a while.

Offline GEOMAX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2008, 08:27 AM »
Ive spilled less blood cleaning moose, lol!

Nice whitefish.  I've been looking to get into some in my neck of the woods around Ear Falls.  What depths do you fish for these whiteys?

Thanks

Offline Icekimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2008, 05:38 PM »
blood bath!! i love it! way to go snakehunter!

Offline Homer Jay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2008, 08:13 PM »
oh the carnage!  nice bloody pile of fish.

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2008, 09:21 PM »
Great haul or should I say 'Slay' SnakeHunter  :tipup: :tipup:
Andrew

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2008, 07:28 PM »
I thank you all for your kind words ( even the bloodbath references ;D)

For Geomax - the spot where I fish for whitefish seems to produce well between 40 and 50 feet deep.
You can get them anywhere in the column up to about 10-15 from bottom but they prefer the deeper water in my experience. I never seem to tie into them at walleye depths for some reason.

If I can I will go out next weekend or next Monday. I have a busy slate ahead for fishing ( around work schedule and kids karate tourney). I'll report the catches if any later.

Regards,
Glen

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2008, 07:48 PM »
you goin fishin for whities tomorrow Glen?....i'm up for it.....e-mail me if you get this

Offline AzuluSpookd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2008, 02:15 PM »
Nice report! I haven't been on the site for a coupla years....things are still looking good!

Sick day, eh? Sounds like you guys may work for the government up there in Kenora? ;D ;D ;D

Snakehunter, were you on AO a few years back or do I have the wrong guy?

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2008, 10:02 PM »
Hey there,
I am not sure what AO is so it may not have been me. I have used this handle since about 1995 and at one time or another have lurked on the Bowsite, Ontario Hunting Lodge, Fishontario, Huntontario and a few US hunting sites. I used to live in Guelph and was active in online battles against the bear hunt ban and the fiberal gun registry. Me and the family were members of the Royal City Bowmen archery club and we used to shoot 3D archery all over southern Ontario. We may have bumped into one another at one of those venues perhaps. Now I hunt, fish and scuba dive in Kenora and region.
Regards,
Glen

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.