Author Topic: Road to Moosonee?  (Read 3706 times)

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Road to Moosonee?
« on: Feb 02, 2008, 01:22 AM »
hello Everyone,

I'm from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and am planning a trip out to Ontario some time this Summer, Probably in Late Aug, Early Sept.

Last year I took a holiday to Banff, Alberta, and into B.C.  This year i'm plannig on heading East to Explore the other half of Canada. lol.   I'm thinking of heading out to visit Toronto, Ottawa, Salt Ste Marie, Niagra falls etc, and all other Major attractions in Ontario. I might even take a quick drive through Quebec.   

Iv'e never been East of Sask.  The furthest East Iv'e ever been is Flin Flon, Manitoba.  That's also the furthest North I've ever been.  I'll be travelling alone and probably take 3-4 weeks off.   

Iv'e been doing some research on attractions and what not, and I've already picked out a few good places.  however when I look at a Geographical/road map, there's something that caught my eye.  There's a few places on the southern most tip of Hutson Bay called "Moosonee" and "Moose factory."  When I look at a road map it doesn't appear there are any major roads that go up that way, just a Major river.  So my question is this:  Is there even a road that goes up that way? 

I love comming accross "Big" wild animals in the wild.  When I watched the TV show "Survivorman" With Les Stroud, one of the places he was abadon was near Moosonee.  From what I saw, it was Major Moose Territory.  I'd love to see a place like that.  But would it be worth the drive North and is it accessible by car?  Any info appriciated.

Fishnut.
fishing - It's a religion, not a sport.

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Road to Moosonee?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2008, 01:25 AM »
correction...It's actually James Bay, not Hutson bay.

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2008, 05:53 AM »
There are no roads to Mooseonee. We tried to see if there were any trails or logging roads which would take us there on Atvs. The biggest problem for any type of road is the endless amount of Muskeg.  We talked to numerous people who were in Moosonee to confirm this. There are a few road once there and vehicles have been brought up on the train. So you can travel the rivers or take the train to Moosonee. Now in the winter when everything freezes you can snowmobile there and farther north/west.

If you want to see Moose and bear Head to Hornepayne. I lived there for a year and the sightings were endless. Good Walleye and Pike fishing at the Provincial Park there as well.

Good luck in your adventure
RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2008, 11:48 PM »
thank you.  Just a few more questions...

1. How often do trains leave and depart from Moosonee?
2. Are there good places to fish from shore near Horneplane, or would I be better off to rent a paddleboat or canoe or something?

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2008, 02:31 PM »
The Polar Bear express leaves Cocharne once a day and it is about 5 hrs to Moosonee. It only comes back once a days as well. There is Tide Water Provincial Park there. Other lodging is limiited so research your trip first.

Fishing in Hornepayne can be great. A canoe or boat is best but you could always shore fish. A boat just ups your chances and allows you to get to the structure. There is a Provincial Park there called Nagagamsis.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2008, 02:05 PM »
I grew up in Timmins, and there's no shortage of moose up in that area, you want to see bear, go to any dump on a cottage road and there's tons of them, sad but true. If you want good fishing, try the Red Pine Lodge on Ivanhoe Lake near Chapleau, theres a provincial park nearby, and i know they rent boats and even have guides that are willing to point you to some good spots on the lake. Every time i fish that lake in the summer i always catch something, plus there's some great beaches in the park and it's not usually too crowded.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2008, 04:50 PM »
The Polar Bear express leaves Cocharne once a day and it is about 5 hrs to Moosonee. It only comes back once a days as well.

What time does The polar bear express leave and depart from Moosinee and Cocharne?

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2008, 05:21 PM »
Here is the link.        http://www.ontarionorthland.ca/polarbearexpress/index.html                                                   
 You can also get a guide to take you down river for some great Walleye or Northerns fishing. There is a barge that goes to Attawapiskat which is really remote.

Hope this helps

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2008, 08:11 PM »
Well just found out today they put an ice road from Fraserdale to Moosenee.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2008, 08:32 PM »
They just put one in now??? It's almost March! lol.  They should make a paved highway.

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2008, 03:39 PM »
Ice road means it's made of "ice" Most of the land in the James Bay low land is bog. Can't really put a road in at any time. They need the ground to freeze to support vehicles. This is quite common to reach some of the outposts.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2008, 04:15 PM »
But they should make a paved highway instead of an ice road.

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2008, 07:38 AM »
On what? Muskeg ?

RR
Be safe, Float!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.