Author Topic: Portables being registered (if above a certain size)  (Read 3740 times)

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Portables being registered (if above a certain size)
« on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:03 AM »
I read on quintefishing about portables (those bigger than 21.5 square feet when set up) will need to now be registered in Ontario. Since I have an Otter small den that has a "footprint" of 26.833 square feet, I figured I better call and verify. Sure enough, they're requiring it now. I called a toll free 800 number (1-800-667-1940) and told them I'll be icefishing in the quinte area. They forwarded me to the Peterborough office (705-755-2001) and I talked to a girl named Shannon there. She asked me for my name, address, phone #, date of birth, and driver's license number.  I was given a 6 digit number.  The numbers and letters must be bigger than 2.5" tall. This has to be displayed on the outside of your portable. This is free of charge, except you have to call them.  I asked how long the numbers would be good for, and she initially said forever, but then said to check back next year just to make sure nothing has changed. So, I guess anybody(residents and non-residents) will need to do this.

To figure out the square footage of your portable, find out the set up size. (Length x width) divided by 144 = sq.ft.
Heres 2 examples: 
Fish Trap Scout: 75" long x 30" wide = 2250 sq.inches   divide that by 144 to get 15.625 sq. ft.  (so that one doesn't need to be registered)
Fish Trap Pro: 78" long x 43" wide = 3354 sq. in. which equals 23.29 sq. ft. (so it needs to be registered)
Ken                                          

Offline csklaus44

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Portables being registered (if above a certain size)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:17 AM »
This has to be done to fish with your portable for one day?  I am planning a trip up soon and bringing my portable.  Do I need to call?
Work is for people that don't know how to fish!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:23 AM »
I would if I were you, just so you don't have a CO give you a hard time if they do check you. Hopefully it will be a once and done thing so if you go back next year, you'll already have it.
Ken                                          

Offline Jeff_C

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bay of Quinte
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2008, 12:44 PM »
If you get the voice menu, leave a message and she will call you back.  I received a call back within a couple of minutes.

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2008, 05:52 PM »
Couple guys I know have contacted the MNR and the answer they get is they only need to be registered if left overnight and unattended.

Let us know if you find out anything to the contrary.

D.

Offline Sluggo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On the ice it's twice as nice!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2008, 06:09 PM »
I would go ahead and register it. It is free to do so.

I can assure you that I know one CO who will have their measuring tape out in my area.......

Lombardy, Ontario, Canada

Offline who me lost?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2008, 08:33 PM »
Past practise in this neck of the woods...you could use the same number on multiple huts, so can i use the same number as I have been using for the last 20 years on my hardsides?
At least Dalton hasn't caught wind of this, we would have another user fee, no doubt!

Offline Jeff_C

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bay of Quinte
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:42 PM »
The CO that I talked to agreed with the "over night only" theory, however he did say that technically it probably should be registered.  He said to find out for sure, to contact his supervisor and he would give you a definite answer.  So I called the supervisor and the supervisor said that it needed to be registered no matter if you take it home with you each time you leave the ice.  Either way, if you register than you won't have a problem.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:16 PM »
The worst part of the rule as written is the registration # is only good for the Fisheries Management Zone that you register it in through the local MNR office. If you fish in different zones you required to register it with each local MNR office. Not sure if they will register it with the same #. This change to the regulations was not thought out at all. ::) ::)

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2008, 06:35 PM »
Well I won't be affixing any lettering to my FT Pro.  I know my call numbers off my hardside, if a CO is gonna want digits, I'll recite those to him... Woodsman has a great point... they're not gonna want to field thousands of additional calls of folks wanting new numbers for each region they travel to.

Why are there so many gray areas in the new regs?  They had 3 years to get stuff figured out, no?  :laugh: :laugh:

Don

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2008, 07:10 PM »
The worst part of the rule as written is the registration # is only good for the Fisheries Management Zone that you register it in through the local MNR office. If you fish in different zones you required to register it with each local MNR office. Not sure if they will register it with the same #. This change to the regulations was not thought out at all. ::) ::)

I was told the opposite by Shannon in the Peterborough office. She said it would be good throughout Ontario. But I'll probably only ever icefish around the quinte area anyway.
Ken                                          

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2008, 04:32 AM »
I was told the opposite by Shannon in the Peterborough office. She said it would be good throughout Ontario.
Her interpretation. Maybe even her offices policy. No guarantee all officers or MNR offices will see it the same way. Call first.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline mcwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2008, 08:49 AM »
Her interpretation. Maybe even her offices policy. No guarantee all officers or MNR offices will see it the same way. Call first.

bingo!  that's it woodsman, it's all interpretation of the language.  better to register and avoid needless hassle.

Offline csklaus44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2008, 11:28 AM »
I am coming up from buffalo ny.  What do I need to do to be legit?  Who do I call and what do I ask for?  Any info?
Work is for people that don't know how to fish!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2008, 12:01 PM »
I am coming up from buffalo ny.  What do I need to do to be legit?  Who do I call and what do I ask for?  Any info?

Read the first post. All the info is there. Tell them you want to register your portable iceshanty.
Ken                                          

Offline Higgsy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2008, 04:34 PM »
I got a warning about registration #'s on my portable hut. I was in Long Point bay returning to my pickup after a day on the ice. My 2 kids which were riding inside the hut at the time because of the bitter cold wind that day and I was stopped by the long arm of the law. I had no idea a portable hut needed to be registered. He checked the inside of the hut and wanted to see our fish and also gave me another warning for not having helmets.

Offline acer7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2008, 06:36 PM »
i say screw it just fish. If your portable is 26  square feet what do you think they are going to measure it. the mnr is to lazy to do that, they won't even care if it is that closes.  :icefish: :icefish:

Offline wallyboss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2008, 06:42 PM »
I am sure that they will measure might be the only way they can put gas in there vehicles this year.  If they go on a lake they will have a Quota of fines to meet, just for pay for gas used!!!
When Hell freezes over !!!!  I'll be there icefishing!!!

Offline Sluggo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On the ice it's twice as nice!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2008, 07:52 PM »
I am sure that they will measure might be the only way they can put gas in there vehicles this year.  If they go on a lake they will have a Quota of fines to meet, just for pay for gas used!!!

Sad as it is, I have to agree 100% with you wallyboss.

Lombardy, Ontario, Canada

Offline who me lost?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2008, 07:23 PM »
Spoke to the MNR CO enforcement guy today mid CIFC,  he said it was not a concern unless they were being left out overnight, but not likely anyone would do that anyways.

Offline wallyboss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2008, 08:08 AM »
That seems to be the problem!!! Every CO has his way of interpreting the regs. One says you need it, one says you don't, one says you have to call everytime you change lake, one says soemthing else. It would be a lot easier to follow the regulations if they were clear.  I have a number for  mine now plus I have a printed response from the MNR that I don't need one.  So either way I am covered.
When Hell freezes over !!!!  I'll be there icefishing!!!

Offline getnjiggywithit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:12 AM »
Ive been stopped twice this year by CO's and there wasn't any mention of registering my hut...   A permanent shack is one thing but a portable...  I doubt anyone is stupid enough to leave an expensive portable on the ice overnight!  The thought of having to call the MNR everytime you want to change locations is ridicules!  What would the MNR do if they got a few thousand calls per day from people wanting to change locations :laugh:

Offline mcwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2008, 02:28 PM »
i was out on simcoe week before last and had a CO come by to check me for my license.  i was in my FT Guide.  neither one of us said a word about registration of portables.

Offline monty1963

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2008, 09:25 AM »
i registered mine was easy,  no hassle at all. 1 number for life  dont have to register again if decide to put out hut overnight (not portable one). use same number.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.