Author Topic: MAPS? Try this out!  (Read 1007 times)

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
MAPS? Try this out!
« on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:57 AM »
I do not know a lot of the back lake areas very well - and I'm having a really hard time finding the roads, lakes, launches etc that everyone is referring to on google maps...it's especially bad at identifying lakes.

I came across http://www.openstreetmap.org/ which has proved quite usefull....plus it's user editable!  I think this could be a very powerfull tool for us fisherman, as well as anyone heading out to obscure areas.  The maps will grow and get better as people update the backwoods areas....
Tight lines

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here....fishy.....fishy
Re: MAPS? Try this out!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2011, 01:29 PM »
I guess it would be ok for southern ontario but for northern ontario there is hardly any lakes marked

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2011, 01:44 PM »
I guess it would be ok for southern ontario but for northern ontario there is hardly any lakes marked
well...you could mark them?  This is an open-sourced project - it's only as good as we make it.
Tight lines

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here....fishy.....fishy
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2011, 01:56 PM »
That's an awful alot of lakes to mark lol

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2011, 02:08 PM »
all the more reason to be out there ;D
tell the wife you're on an important geological survey expedition ::)
Tight lines

rickl1968

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2011, 06:43 AM »
well...you could mark them?  This is an open-sourced project - it's only as good as we make it.

Why would you want to mark them? Wouldn't that attract more people to your favorite or good producing lakes and put more pressure on them? Hence you would have to go farther to catch quality fish.

Ask anyone in the States what kind of fish they used to have in there lakes until people started talking, especially on the internet. I think when you help someone out you think a little bit about the person, is he or she ethical? or if they are going to tell alot of people etc. Kinda like would you tell your bait store operator your secret lake?
When you put info on the internet it is there forever and you don't know if they are ethical or not.

Just my two cents!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:35 AM »
rickl - good point I guess.  You're the kind of guy that hides your tracks and holes aren't you ;)

I just thought the map site was helpfull, the lakes are all present in google maps and satellite images, but the naming is terrbile on those sites, so I find this site more usefull

hey you - you're on my spot! lol ;D
Tight lines

rickl1968

« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:35 AM »
LOL, not that anal, but I only share my spots with a select few, not the whole world. :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.