Author Topic: Lake Aeroflex & Swartswood  (Read 25803 times)

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
Lake Aeroflex & Swartswood
« on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:49 AM »
Lake Aeroflex is frozen over but not safe as of today & Swartswood the middle is open the dam cove is frozen & the camp ground cove is frozen
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline perchskinner

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Aeroflex & Swartswood
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:52 AM »
Where on aeroflex did you check the ice , the back always seems to freeze best , around the powerlines.

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:58 AM »
the back or by the boat ramp freezes good.On my way home last night I check the boat ramp. Tonight I will check the back.It help's to live only 1 mile from the good lakes

Offline kuz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2007, 01:02 PM »
I'm mildly surprized that Swartswood is taking so long to get going. Aeroflex ususally takes some time, but I cant wait to get out on both those lakes. I love them both open water, but never got a day on the ice on either one yet, well, except for one day on Aeroflex that could barely account for a day of ice. It was more like sitting on an iceberg in shallow water.

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2007, 04:44 PM »
I hear they do really well through the ice at Aero, I went once 2 years ago but couldn't get out near the middle cause it was end of season and i wasn't takin any chances. Swartswood is good through the ice the times I have fished it too.

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2007, 08:30 AM »
I would really like to get back on Swartswood this year. I've only fished Aeroflex once and had a monster Trout follow my bait up twice while reeling in to re-cast. Would'nt mind bringing one up through the ice.
:icefish:

Offline projoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2007, 06:15 PM »
any one no how much ice

Offline Icefishr17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2007, 07:33 PM »
any one no how much ice

Anyone fish Aeroflex in the last week with an ice condition report?  Thanks.

Offline Icefishr17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2007, 09:24 PM »
any one no how much ice

Aeroflex has about 9-11" of ice near airport section with recent hard/soft snow (4-6 inches) on top.  Lots of guys out fishing that area by 1:00 pm.

Offline Dusty R

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2007, 09:01 PM »
Fished Swartwood on Saturday morning.  Parked at the public access area at the end of the lake opposite the beach.  As you walk along the edge toward the island, 12-14 inches of ice.  Went out about 150 yards past the island, in the middle and still had 12-14 inches of ice.  Started at 7:15am and caught first Perch at 8:45am.  Caught 2 more perch and one pickeral by 12:00pm.  The only open water we could see was from a bubbler by a dock across the lake.

Offline Howyahittinem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2007, 02:14 PM »
I have fished both lakes and they seem to be safe at this point.  Aeroflex just froze over good last week inthe main part of the lake so the warm weather will probably hamper any attempts to fish the main lake later this week.  Fishing at Swartswood by North Shore House on Sunday was very slow, two guys three flags in 4 hours!  Aeroflex and Lake Iliff in Andover Twp were both very good to me up until this weekend but I have heard no good reports on either since Saturday.  Fished Aeroflex day before snow storm and had tree hours of flags ended up with 13 fish myself.  Fished Iliff on saturday and had another good day several large crappies, 4.5lb largemouth, and 4.5lb bullhead, was very crowded though most guys I have ever seen there!  There is a contest on Swartswood Sunday 25, its being run out of the Boathouse Restaurant(formerly the Last Stand) and is $20 per person, I can't tell you anymore than that cause I can't seem to find out anymore.  Good luck and tight lines!
Good Luck and Tight Lines!

Offline Howyahittinem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2007, 02:34 PM »
For all you guys who fall in love with fishing Lake Aeroflex don't forget that there is a Trout Club on this lake that helps make this lake one of states prime fishing spots for trout.  The Lake Aeroflex Trout Club stocks aprox. 600 16-17 inch fish every spring and are looking for more members or even donations to help fund our stocking.  If anyone is interested in becoming a member our yearly newsletter and membership sign-ups will be available at YOJ and Simon Peter in the beggining of March.  If you guys like the hardwater fishing here you should try open water!  Thanks for all your support.  Good luck and tight lines.

Offline BLACKMOUSIE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2007, 05:55 PM »
I spoke with a guy Sat on LH.  He told me there was landlocks in this lake.  Is this fishery established? :-\

Offline Howyahittinem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2007, 10:51 AM »
The state introduced the landlock salmon this past spring.  They stocked about 400 6 inch fish,  I heard someone caught one that was 12" through the ice a couple weeks ago.  They have to be 15" before you can keep them!, and God only knows how many survived the huge pickerel in this lake.
I was on Aeroflex today had two flags in the first hour and that was it,  the moon change really seems to have put the fish on hold!

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2007, 11:01 AM »
Howyahittinem1,
 landlock salmon only have to be 12 inches to keep & you are alound two a day. The one they put in were around 8 to 10 inches not 6 inches.& they put in 1000 in Aeroflex. I live down the ST & fish it a lot on my boat

Offline Howyahittinem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2007, 11:53 AM »
I am sorry to rain on your parade, but I live on the Lake in one of the private homes and I was at the boat launch the day of the stocking and it was only 400 the rest went to Wawayanda State Park.  And the also publicized that they were 8-10 inches and trust me they were not, more like 6-7".  But you are right I was incoorect about size it is published as 12".  Besides fishing this lake for thirty years I am one of the executives of the Lake Aeroflex Trout Club and have contact with the fish and game as to stocking times and numbers because we assist them with stocking of both there fish and our own.  I am possitive of the stocking numbers because we were very upset that the stae decided to rob us of there last trout stocking last spring and replaced with these landlocked salmon which if they survive will take 4-5 years to be a couple pound fish, who the hell would keep a 12" SALMON!  The state also began gill netting to study these landlock and instead of netting any salmon managed to kill several of our club brown trout(2-3lb fish usually) in the process.    By the way I still have my tip-ups out in front of my house and have mamaged to get one flag a false alarm!  Dead Water Today!

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2007, 12:27 PM »
I am sorry to rain on your parade,NO NO . No parade here just saying what I heard from Terry if you are a executives you know who he is . So you are a executives of the Lake Aeroflex Trout Club :flex: :roflmao:. And if you have contact with the fish and game you should know if you leave your tip-up you can get a ticket :callcops:. In New Jersey ice anglers may use no more than five devices, i.e. a combination of tip-ups and /or jigging poles. All devices not hand-held must bear the name and address of the user and can’t be left unattended.   ;D ;D that mean not watch it from your house. Have fun be safe

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2007, 12:32 PM »
lol yeaaa but think of how nice it would be if it WAS legal, you could just hang out inside and watch, although I hope it's not a far walk/run to your tip ups than, think of the workout though!!!

Offline Howyahittinem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2007, 12:55 PM »
Sorry if I offended the Ice Fishing Police!  Its about a 20 yard run from my porch to the tip ups and tha are not unattended because I am sitting here watching them out the window!  Yes Terry at YOJ is a great guy and he is a great help to the trout club!  But his facts are confused, the state recieved 1400 salmon altogether of which 1000 wnet to Wawayanda and the remaining 400 went in Aeroflex, as I said before I was there and witnessed the stocking and spoke personally with Pat Hamilton a bioligist with the NJ fish and Game.

Offline kuz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2007, 01:26 PM »
wawa got 1000, Aeroflex got 400.  My opinion is that the salmon stocking will take longer then expected to produce a quality return. I can only imagine how many of the initial stocking will be kept due to mistaken identity by inexperienced anglers come this spring. I dont know much about salmon, but it is my understanding that they dont get that big, and take a long time to get there. I would rather see some Kamloops in Aeroflex. 400 salmon in that place will seem non-existant.

Offline harpua

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2007, 01:28 PM »
Kamloops ??? ??? ???

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2007, 01:37 PM »
Don't be sorry.Just stating the rules

Offline Howyahittinem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2007, 02:25 PM »
Kuz, that is exactly what I am saying.  By the time those salmon are worth catching a state stocked brown trout would a beautiful wall hanger!  But you can't tell this state what to do with our money!

Offline projoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2007, 02:56 PM »
salmon grow extremly fast as long as they have food becasue all they will do is eat just like bluefish in saltwater  but if there isnt a good amount of herring they will grow extremly slow all depends on the food base

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2007, 02:58 PM »
there is a lot of food in both lakes

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2007, 03:35 PM »
Yea I don't think they are going to have a problem finding food, especially herring in either of the lakes.

Offline Howyahittinem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 20, 2007, 04:08 PM »
Aeroflex is loaded with herring,  but the big question is how many of the 400 original fish survived not being food themselves?  Even though they grow fast they first need to be big enough to eat herring, which I was informed would take aprox. 8 months, and at that age they would be a 10-12 inch fish.  I was also informed that it would be several years for them to reach the 3-4 lb range, most holdover state stocked browns reach that size in a couple years.  I just think the state has a proven trout program on this lake and should stick to what works, not make the lake a big experiment at the cost of NJ outdoorsmen. :tipup:
Just picked up for the day, had a small run on the pickerel this afternoon around 2 the flags started going up, ended up with 7 pickerel, 2 over 3lbs.  My friend came by and did some jigging only caught some sunnies and one small perch. :)
By the way DaveM, Terry from YOJ actually was the one to turn me on to this website. 

Offline kuz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 20, 2007, 04:53 PM »
I have another concern about the landlocks... admittedly not having much experience with them. The state started stocking lakers in Round Valley and Merril Creek and it seems that the herring fell out in those lakes. If landlocks feed as aggressively as the lakers, I would assume that overstocking landlocks would hurt the forage base for the trout. Obviously 400 wont put too much of a dent in that, but how many are slated over the next few years?  I think aeroflex has a strong fishery in it, and should be left as a trout fishery. It has deep water, but isn't all that big, compared to RV. Aeroflex for me at least hasn't been producing those truly large holdovers as it used to, but maybe I've just had bad luck in the past 2 seasons. I've seen and had football browns and rainbows in there that were bigger than any landlock would get. I think landlocks maybe right fish wrong lake.

Offline Howyahittinem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 21, 2007, 04:40 PM »
I fished today near my house caught 7 pickerel again!  Only used tip ups.  I had a friend stop by and he went to the main lake and cleaned house.  Left at 8 am came back around two he caught 6 largemouths, several perch,  a couple pickerel, and a rainbow trout about 15";  he caught most of the fish jigging and said he lost a couple nice bass and one large trout.   Better hit it while you can though; the main part of the lake only has 5-7 inches on parts and will probably open back up if the warm weather continues. :tipup:

Offline Howyahittinem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 21, 2007, 04:50 PM »
Just a reminder for anyone interested!
There will be a tournament at Swartswood and Little Swartswood this Sunday.  It is being run by the Boat House Restaurant( formerly the Last Stand)  located on the northwest corner of the lake by the bus company.  You must sign up there by saturday night; $20 per person three heaviest fish all the money goes to the prizes.  Weigh -ins begin at 12:15 @ Boathouse and end @5:15.  Hope to see you there! :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.