Author Topic: NJ Ice  (Read 17689 times)

Offline kuz

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: NJ Ice
« Reply #60 on: Jan 25, 2007, 05:28 PM »
How much of Budd is still open? At the initial freeze were the shorelines pretty much frozen all around? Looks like Budd will be jammed this weekend, like usual at first ice. Just wondering if there will be enough good ice to spread out a bit, or just at the beach.

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #61 on: Jan 25, 2007, 05:43 PM »
How much of Budd is still open? At the initial freeze were the shorelines pretty much frozen all around? Looks like Budd will be jammed this weekend, like usual at first ice. Just wondering if there will be enough good ice to spread out a bit, or just at the beach.

I havent checked this week but last Sunday it was frozen all around with the middle open....
Your right,looks like there will be alot of people but as long as there is enough safe ice and space for everyone i enjoy seeing alot of people out..that being said i'll be there early!!! :D

Offline kuz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Jan 25, 2007, 06:12 PM »
I havent checked this week but last Sunday it was frozen all around with the middle open....
Your right,looks like there will be alot of people but as long as there is enough safe ice and space for everyone i enjoy seeing alot of people out..that being said i'll be there early!!! :D

I like to see a lot of guys too, safety in numbers and good times, but I'd really like to see a lot of safe ice!!!
I'd just hate to see guys moving out for space and putting themselves in an unsafe perdicament. I'm gonna check some spots tomorrow morning, maybe just bring the hand auger and a jiggin pole to set my plan for the weekend.

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #63 on: Jan 25, 2007, 08:44 PM »
I like to see a lot of guys too, safety in numbers and good times, but I'd really like to see a lot of safe ice!!!
I'd just hate to see guys moving out for space and putting themselves in an unsafe perdicament. I'm gonna check some spots tomorrow morning, maybe just bring the hand auger and a jiggin pole to set my plan for the weekend.

i agree...its funny,when there are other people around it is reassuring..to me anyway lol
Even if my flags arent flying i do like to see others chasing flags...

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #64 on: Jan 25, 2007, 08:56 PM »
Rite now it is 8 out & still dropping ;D
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline 4inch_ok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #65 on: Jan 25, 2007, 10:16 PM »
Drove by Lake Mohawk today...open in the middle

Offline Sub Zero

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #66 on: Jan 26, 2007, 06:24 AM »
Thermometer says 7 deg. this morning! That's gotta help things along--   ;D
People think we're crazy but we know better!

Offline doodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You gotta love the hard water.
« Reply #67 on: Jan 26, 2007, 07:12 AM »
7 deg sounds very promising. I am hoping to get out on Sunday at the state park on LH.

Offline NJ_ICE_HUNTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Come on Cold!
« Reply #68 on: Jan 26, 2007, 07:50 AM »
it was 1 degree at 7 am  here this morn and is at about 7 degrees now

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #69 on: Jan 26, 2007, 07:54 AM »
it was 0 at 5:30 Am thank god. When I left for work. John & Doug the ice is good on my lake will call you later with a time & where to meet up
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #70 on: Jan 26, 2007, 08:03 AM »
You know its cold when while driving my kids to school down rt 57 i look over and see chunks of ice in the Musky River....even iced over in some of the real slow moving spots... All this in one night!!!
Should of added decent thickness to already iced over areas and we still have today and tonight to help as well...ITS ON!!!!!

Offline kuz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Jan 26, 2007, 08:28 AM »
Stopped by Budd this morning. Cut 2 holes out from the parking lot by the castle.  first hole was about 25ft out with 4-4.5 inches. cut another another 20ft out with about 3.5- maybe 4 in. nice clear black stuff. only soul up there, not enough for me by myself. and it was cold!!  :). if there was someone else i would have fished. still a good amount of open water. stay away from 46 side except by beach. LH state park looked good out to the right. ice as far as i could see, with the exception of some open water in front of and a spot out from the spillway. Stopped by Mt. Hope pond and that was locked up, but didn't look too thick. Spot usually is good to jig some trout, but the perch are small in that joint. Musconetcong was locked up, guys have been out there. Saw some holes cut on Budd, they were froze over enough that I couldn't break through with my foot. Weekend is looking promising for safety, fishing is definately on (for the brave)

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #72 on: Jan 26, 2007, 08:34 AM »
Stopped by Budd this morning. Cut 2 holes out from the parking lot by the castle.  first hole was about 25ft out with 4-4.5 inches. cut another another 20ft out with about 3.5- maybe 4 in. nice clear black stuff. only soul up there, not enough for me by myself. and it was cold!!  :). if there was someone else i would have fished. still a good amount of open water. stay away from 46 side except by beach. LH state park looked good out to the right. ice as far as i could see, with the exception of some open water in front of and a spot out from the spillway. Stopped by Mt. Hope pond and that was locked up, but didn't look too thick. Spot usually is good to jig some trout, but the perch are small in that joint. Musconetcong was locked up, guys have been out there. Saw some holes cut on Budd, they were froze over enough that I couldn't break through with my foot. Weekend is looking promising for safety, fishing is definately on (for the brave)

Nice work!!!!..it'll only get thicker from now until tomorrow morning...Budd is a go for me tomorrow,probably alone and with a buddy on Sunday...wow in less than 24 hours i will be chasing flags hopefully lol

Offline iceman_4432

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 26, 2007, 11:03 AM »
You know its cold when while driving my kids to school down rt 57 i look over and see chunks of ice in the Musky River....even iced over in some of the real slow moving spots... All this in one night!!!
Should of added decent thickness to already iced over areas and we still have today and tonight to help as well...ITS ON!!!!!

O yea it is cold.  The South branch was iced over in Califon this morning .. ducks were walking on it. 

Offline Sub Zero

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #74 on: Jan 26, 2007, 02:47 PM »
Played hooky from work today and went for a ride to a few Lakes. Here's what I saw. We're gettin close! Though I was shocked
that Swartswood was 90% open water the rest faired better.

People think we're crazy but we know better!

Offline 4inch_ok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #75 on: Jan 26, 2007, 09:10 PM »
Is that"Y" on Hopatcong open water or a shadow?

Offline Papa Dukes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 27, 2007, 06:03 AM »
that's open water

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Jan 27, 2007, 08:31 AM »
was that open warter at cranberry in front of the dam

Offline doodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 27, 2007, 04:49 PM »
Come on, anybody out today on LH state park or Bud lake? What where the ice conditions. I want to go tomorrow but dont want to take a long ride for nothing. If I dont get to drill some holes soon I may go postal.

Offline lwfinj

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishfully your
« Reply #79 on: Jan 27, 2007, 05:27 PM »
Have been passing Bud Lake today. People freely move and fish from the ice on the shore from the beach to the theater , as I long as I could judge. Deeper placed still open

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Jan 27, 2007, 06:26 PM »
i called dows they said 5 in state park and wood port and they open at 6 am im heading to hopatcong if anyone wants to hook up and i have a couple of extra tip ups if some never went and want to try it out ill be going to woodport

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #81 on: Jan 27, 2007, 06:36 PM »
i called dows they said 5 in state park and wood port and they open at 6 am im heading to hopatcong if anyone wants to hook up and i have a couple of extra tip ups if some never went and want to try it out ill be going to woodport

I was told this morning they open 5:30 on weekends and 6am on weekdays...i was there 5:45am today and they were open

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Jan 27, 2007, 06:41 PM »
how did you make out king kool

Offline 4inch_ok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #83 on: Jan 27, 2007, 07:04 PM »

Where exactli is Woodport?

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #84 on: Jan 27, 2007, 07:17 PM »
If im correct Woodort is basically the North end...North from Bradys Bridge.

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Jan 27, 2007, 08:23 PM »
wood port  is the very north end its alittle more sheltered than the rest of the lake the yellow perch bunch up back in that cove big time yull see guys that just keep moving trying to locate a school and when they get on the they load up and lots of crappie and blue gills gigging as well and tip ups it can get crazy running after flags but you do get slow days but i never get skunked back in their always catch someting I'm going sunday if you want to hook up your welcome to come along i can meet you at dows if you know were that is if not the shell station on rt 15 by berksirevalley road ill check back latter

Offline doodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Jan 27, 2007, 08:31 PM »
Not sure where woodport is so I am going to be at the state park first thing in the morning.

Offline 4inch_ok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #87 on: Jan 28, 2007, 07:49 AM »
wood port  is the very north end its alittle more sheltered than the rest of the lake the yellow perch bunch up back in that cove big time yull see guys that just keep moving trying to locate a school and when they get on the they load up and lots of crappie and blue gills gigging as well and tip ups it can get crazy running after flags but you do get slow days but i never get skunked back in their always catch someting I'm going sunday if you want to hook up your welcome to come along i can meet you at dows if you know were that is if not the shell station on rt 15 by berksirevalley road ill check back latter

I have been to Dows before, but I forgert exactly where it is. Now that Buck N Bass is gone I guess I need to ger bait there.
I seeem to recall that it is near Weldon Road.

I looked at the north end of the lake where 181 crosses a narrow section on Google Earth. The shore looks like all houses and marinas where  do you get on?

Offline perchskinner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Jan 28, 2007, 09:15 AM »
If you are going to woodport , just a little advice , don't park at the old smitty's tavern[oh sullivans pub] the owner was leaving notes on the cars yesterday saying if you want to park there you have to pay $20  , or come in and eat and drink $20 worth, She was telling me that people were leaving garbage and fileted fish all over the place making a mess.
Woodport has close to 6" of ice all black , but the fishing wasn't that hot , although we did manage a few nice perch. There was close to 40 guy's out there ice fishing yesterday.

Offline 4inch_ok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #89 on: Jan 28, 2007, 05:37 PM »
If you are going to woodport , just a little advice , don't park at the old smitty's tavern[oh sullivans pub] the owner was leaving notes on the cars yesterday saying if you want to park there you have to pay $20  , or come in and eat and drink $20 worth, She was telling me that people were leaving garbage and fileted fish all over the place making a mess.
Woodport has close to 6" of ice all black , but the fishing wasn't that hot , although we did manage a few nice perch. There was close to 40 guy's out there ice fishing yesterday.

I parked there today no problem

Caught about 10perch

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.