Author Topic: NJ Ice  (Read 17690 times)

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: NJ Ice
« Reply #30 on: Jan 21, 2007, 09:58 PM »
Took  "icerina" up to areoflex area for hiking/ exploring Saturday. Did not realize Cranberry was on the way....found twin lakes by accident too. TL boatramp was solid lock up and as far as I could see. Could anyone PM me what is in twin lakes as well as those nearby. 

Offline Red eSox

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ~ Promote Catch & Release ~
« Reply #31 on: Jan 22, 2007, 07:54 AM »
Just drove by Budd as well....middle of the lake is open but saw two nuts on the ice by the beach LOL....and a flag was up!! lol

Next week for me for sure!!!!!

if i didn't have my daughter's christening yesterday it would have been 3 nuts.  those 2 nuts (and no offense taken at all) are my friends and they landed 5 pike and 1 pickerel by 11:00am.  the first pike of the morning was about 5-6 pounds.  i don't think i can wait until saturday to go.  maybe tomorrow morning before work for 2 hours.  thursday taking the afternoon off for sure.  i'm goin' nuts knowing that they're ready to bite !   :tipup:

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #32 on: Jan 22, 2007, 08:17 AM »
if i didn't have my daughter's christening yesterday it would have been 3 nuts.  those 2 nuts (and no offense taken at all) are my friends and they landed 5 pike and 1 pickerel by 11:00am.  the first pike of the morning was about 5-6 pounds.  i don't think i can wait until saturday to go.  maybe tomorrow morning before work for 2 hours.  thursday taking the afternoon off for sure.  i'm goin' nuts knowing that they're ready to bite !   :tipup:

Oh i meant "nuts" in the nicest way! lol At least they werent too nuts and stayed pretty close to the docks.. I was jealous actually......Saturday will be the earliest for me. One of my kids goes to school a half day so there is no way i could get there during the week as much as im itching...grrrrrrrrrr. ...
If you go during the week good luck!

Offline jiggingfoul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 22, 2007, 10:28 AM »
gonna give woodport a try sunday.hey web,i hear the gang  is planning a cookout
for saturday at that end of the lake.

Offline kuz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 22, 2007, 05:23 PM »
haha. you guys think you got it bad... after waiting all this time for ice, my clutch went on my truck and im vehicle-less for at least a week, maybe two. Of course that waited for first ice! I was all rigged up, cleaned everything up, gassed up the auger, whole nine yards.

I seen some guys out on Lk. Musconetcong Sunday, my girlfriend and I drove by the lake in her car on the way to dinner. Almost brought a tear to my eye.   Good luck and be safe, ice is thin!

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2007, 09:04 AM »
Looks like with this arctic air coming down for Thursday and Friday it should make this weekend great for getting out....time to make the leaders!!!!  ;D

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #36 on: Jan 24, 2007, 12:42 PM »
Know one has a report on
Cranberry Lake
Lake Hopatcong  State Park
Budd Lake Beach
Lake Musconetcong
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline steelchaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 24, 2007, 01:38 PM »
State Park at Hopatgong 3" black ice... Woodport 3" black ice..  As of today Main Lake.. Wide Open again...

Muscenetcong....  Got this off of newjerseyhunter.com 

"One of my buddies back door looks over Lake Muskenetcong he said guys are out there ice fishing,he went out to take a look and see how they were doing, with about 3-4 inches of good black ice 4 guys, ALL almost had thier limit of crappies..with my nephew about to be born any minute it may be hard for me to get out this week,hopefully next week.. I'm looking forward to catching some good eating perch and crappie.."

Don't know about the other lakes mentioned...

Oh yeah.. Silver Lake in Hamburg... 4'' black ice..

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #38 on: Jan 24, 2007, 02:49 PM »
Not sure i would go out with 3"...thats just me but with the cold coming it should add to that in the next couple days no?

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #39 on: Jan 24, 2007, 03:00 PM »
If you have 3 to 31/2 today you should have a good 5 to 6 on Sat AM

Offline doodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You gotta love the hard water.
« Reply #40 on: Jan 24, 2007, 03:07 PM »
3" wont do for me either. I like atleast 5.With a very cold day on friday that is very possible. I am going to give it a shot this weekend. Not sure which day yet.

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #41 on: Jan 24, 2007, 03:16 PM »
If you have 3 to 31/2 today you should have a good 5 to 6 on Sat AM

If that happens i would be very happy...from Thursday night through Saturday morning it looks like a nice deep freeze.
Thanks!

Offline steelchaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 24, 2007, 03:46 PM »
Just keep an eye on the wind. If the wind lays down (which it isn't supposed to  >:() then we should have 5-6 on Saturday in the bays I would imagine....

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #43 on: Jan 24, 2007, 03:53 PM »
Just keep an eye on the wind. If the wind lays down (which it isn't supposed to  >:() then we should have 5-6 on Saturday in the bays I would imagine....

Now i know the wind is bad for open water turning to ice but would the wind even matter for already established ice?  I would think it would still get thicker as long as its cold no matter how windy it gets...i hope im right lol 

Offline steelchaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 24, 2007, 03:55 PM »
Well the problem is that the main lake is open again... So with that being open it starts to rip the bays up if the wind is really strong.

Offline doodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 24, 2007, 05:55 PM »
Thanks steelchaser I was just starting to get excited and you burst my bubble.

Offline 4inch_ok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #46 on: Jan 24, 2007, 06:56 PM »
There has to be a mathamatical formula that considers time below freezing; actual temperature below freezing= ice thickness.

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #47 on: Jan 24, 2007, 07:48 PM »
Thanks steelchaser I was just starting to get excited and you burst my bubble.

I wouldnt worry about that...im sure he is referring to Hopatcong and im sure no one planned on fishing the main lake this weekend anyway...the coves will be fine...

Offline steelchaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:07 PM »
The coves should definatley be fine ;)

Offline steelchaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:11 PM »
There has to be a mathamatical formula that considers time below freezing; actual temperature below freezing= ice thickness.

I've heard that when temps are in the teens it should make an inch of ice overnight... And when in the single digits 1.5 inches... Don't know where or who I heard that from but I try to stick by that rule and it seems to work for the most part..

Offline steelchaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:12 PM »
I've heard that when temps are in the teens it should make an inch of ice overnight... And when in the single digits 1.5 inches... Don't know where or who I heard that from but I try to stick by that rule and it seems to work for the most part..

Hey What do we know.... We're all a bunch of rookies anyway... (ice shanty rookies that is) Nice talking to you guys..

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #51 on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:20 PM »
I guess we all should of payed attention in science class ???

Good luck to all wherever you head this weekend

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #52 on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:40 PM »
OK guy's if the lakes or bays are frozzen the win will only help. Some where on here there is a chart about temp & frezzen time. But wi th tomorrow hi only being 25 to 30 & low 10 & Fri HI 14 & low 7 win chill going to be -20 to -30 :o .That can make 2 to 3 inches more be Sat.

Offline doodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 24, 2007, 09:23 PM »
Now thats the attitude we need.

Offline helf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 24, 2007, 09:34 PM »
Hey Shawn:  Not sure if this is what you meant, but I'm fairly certain "wind chill" is strictly the effect that wind has on cooling your body.  Has no effect on the freezing temp of water.  You'll never see ice on a 33 degree day with a wind chill of 15 degrees, and I don't expect you'd see MORE ice made on a closed-up lake with a howling wind than you would with no wind.

But here's hoping we get some decent ice soon!  Stay safe and be patient ;)

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #55 on: Jan 25, 2007, 08:12 AM »
Helf,
I don't think so there have been a lot of time that the temp was around 34 to 35 & the wind was making it feel like 20. And my wholes would still freeze up. So sorry to say yes the win will help on a closed lake

Offline DonW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:22 AM »
Getting close Guys!! :clap: Got a call from a buddy in North Jersey says he got safe ice and I should try toi make it up on Saturday. I'm gonna try to make it up to see you Shawn, but I got to get my license. 

Tight Lines,
DonW

Offline Red eSox

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ~ Promote Catch & Release ~
« Reply #57 on: Jan 25, 2007, 10:14 AM »
i got a C+ in earth science once.... :roflmao:  ha ha!

what i do know is that wind is our worst enemy when making fresh ice over a lake.  in fact.......it blows!
water needs to be still to freeze.  wind moving the top of the water keeps it from freezing.  hopatcong should have a good amount of ice over it based on this past weeks temps but almost all of it is water still because it's been windy.  once that first layer is on, then the wind doesn't matter as ice builds downwards.  these single digit temps we're supposed to get over the next 2 nights might do nothing (at least for large unprotected lakes) because winds of 10-25 mph are expected.

3-4 inches is good for me as i'll be on budd lake today from 3pm on.
with one buddy on tuesday morning, we caught 1 crappie, 3 pike in the 2-4lb range, and lost 2 nice ones.  one was a musky guessing 7-10lbs right at the hole.  bit through my plastic coated dacron braided 20lb leader.  yesterday rerigged with all steal leaders.  let's goooooooooooo!

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #58 on: Jan 25, 2007, 10:53 AM »
It does stink for people who like to fish the deep water but for me as long as ice is getting thicker at Budd which is where i will be Saturday and Sunday i will be happy.

I cant wait!!!!!

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #59 on: Jan 25, 2007, 03:00 PM »
I would say that most lakes/Coves that have been frozen for a week now will be safe by  Sat. :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.