Author Topic: Water level at Spruce Run??  (Read 4708 times)

Offline GiantSquid

• IceShanty Rookie
Water level at Spruce Run??
« on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Last time I tried to fish Spruce Run this summer the lake was really low.  I had to drive on the dirt to launch my boat because the ramps were high and dry.  Has anyone been there lately or heard about the level of the water?  I'd love to fish the ice there this winter.

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
Re: Water level at Spruce Run??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:25 PM »
Drove by it a few weeks ago heading to daughters cheer comp in Belvidre and i couldnt believe how low it was.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:25 PM »
I don't have specifics but would guess that levels would be normal since the streams have been up lately with all the rain. Here's a USGS summary:- http://nj.usgs.gov/special/monthly_summary/archive/2010/10/

Lower levels might mean the fish have fewer places to hide ;D ;D

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:44 PM »
Here's more info. I'm not sure how to read it though. LOL

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nj/nwis/uv/?site_no=403824074545601&PARA_cd=00045;

I believe this is the out flow in CFS that leaves Spruce Run at the present time.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?01396800

Offline Wizzofd69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard Water 2012
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:51 PM »
well i can tell you this. I drive by round valley reservoir on a daily basis and i have never seen the water levels so low before in my 24 years of existence. Furthermore pretty much if round valley is low then so is spruce run. I saw it this summer and it was almost a shock at were all the water went since it isnt a real deep reservoir. Anyway im guessing its still low. I wonder if the ice will form faster and if the fish will be more active to hunt for more food this year? Slow there last year.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:03 PM »
well i can tell you this. I drive by round valley reservoir on a daily basis and i have never seen the water levels so low before in my 24 years of existence. Furthermore pretty much if round valley is low then so is spruce run. I saw it this summer and it was almost a shock at were all the water went since it isnt a real deep reservoir. Anyway im guessing its still low. I wonder if the ice will form faster and if the fish will be more active to hunt for more food this year? Slow there last year.

We fished RV when it was almost full earlier in the season and by September it was really low. I think it was at about 80% capacity.

Offline Wizzofd69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard Water 2012
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:05 PM »
yeah it was beautiful early spring. it was 100 %, now its dropped about 20 feet. reall bad. they need to flood it back up. I remember this happened like 3-4 ago and took about 3 years to fill it back to 95 %.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:21 PM »
yeah it was beautiful early spring. it was 100 %, now its dropped about 20 feet. reall bad. they need to flood it back up. I remember this happened like 3-4 ago and took about 3 years to fill it back to 95 %.

Wow, that's incredible. We fished RV alot this past season. 1st year I had a boat to do so.

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2010, 06:15 AM »
still very low
prob close to what you saw in the summer :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline Leedz49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2010, 10:34 AM »
If we get a lot of snow it will fill up faster. The feeder creeks and rivers entering Spruce never stop flowing and they have slowed the water coming out of the Reservoir. I plan to fish it a few times, sticking to the creek channels and deeper basins.
Follow Ice Action in The Fisherman, by Fishermen

Offline Gorilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:42 AM »
When I drove by in October I could not believe how low it was, the inlet by 31 looked like you could build a baseball field if you just cut the grass. 

One good thing about low water is that it helps concentrate fish in basins and along channels.  So if you find a spot it should be loaded with fish!

Do Not underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State

Offline Tom_K_from_NJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2010, 06:33 PM »
Spruce Run is about 8' below full pool, which is about 75% full.  It's just a bit higher than it was in the Fall, even after all the rain we recently had.  They keep releasing water from it into the Raritan River.
Code: [Select]
http://www.njwsa.org/data.htm

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2010, 07:03 PM »

Offline Sub Zero

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2010, 07:04 AM »
I've been by Spruce Run recently and it's only slightly higher thans it was in October. I love fishing there! In August a caught a 7lb Brown near the power lines while trolling. I was really looking forward to fishing it this winter but I think it might be a lost cause.
People think we're crazy but we know better!

Offline punkinhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2010, 11:35 AM »
Drove by spruce run 12/20/10 and the water is still pretty low, however it looks pretty well froze.

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2010, 05:29 PM »
they pump water out every year thats why theirs no real weed line most of the shore line is barren flats and round valley the past couple of years wish they would stop its makes shore line fishing tougher normal hot spots no longer pruduce

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2010, 05:58 PM »
The lowest I remember it was about down to 30% capacity probably close to 9 years ago.  Fishing was really good because it concentrated the fish but then it got pretty lousy afterwords for few years.  It gave me a chance to mark all the creek channels and Christmas trees. Anybody do good on panfish there? I always strike out   :(

Offline FearNoFish27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2010, 08:14 PM »
I do really well on Crappies in the spring and at night during the summer. used to be real good Perch through the ice and open water, but after the first really low water about 20yrs ago, it must have kill them and the Browns off. caught some really small Perch the past couple of years in the spring, only 4-5 ins. but it shows they're still in there and making little ones. could be a good many years before they come back, if they ever do
If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2010, 09:14 PM »
FearNoFish27.....in answer to your query about the smurfs. They turn white if you choke them.  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.