Author Topic: Current ice conditions at Hopatcong?  (Read 10638 times)

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
Re: Current ice conditions at Hopatcong?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:20 AM »
Anyone know what the recent warm spell is doing to the ice at hopatcong? Melting it obviously lol, but think we'll still have safe ice for the rest of the week, or would you not risk it?  Was thinking about heading out Wednesday morning, but would be going alone, and don't feel like ending up on the 6 oclock news if it's not safe.

If you fish the state park u will be fine....fished way to the right of the beach on Friday and Saturday and it was 10inches...fished Sunday down the shoreline left of the beach and it was 8-9 inches.

Offline fatheads

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:10 AM »
How do I get to chat on this room!?!?....tougher than fishing in the wind!!!!  >:(

Offline jiggingfoul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:13 AM »
my son just called and he is on his way off the ice.said the ice is in good shape,6-8inches.said the bite was
great this morning. ;)

Offline shupa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:09 AM »
If you fish the state park u will be fine....fished way to the right of the beach on Friday and Saturday and it was 10inches...fished Sunday down the shoreline left of the beach and it was 8-9 inches.

I was out there Sunday morning as well, was just worried that by Wednesday most of the ice would be gone.  Sounds like it should be ok though, thanks jiggingfoul and KingKool  ;D

Offline jiggingfoul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2010, 01:03 PM »
my son is now on the ice by dows bait shop.says the ice is good.gonna fish till dark he said

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2010, 01:48 PM »
my son is now on the ice by dows bait shop.says the ice is good.gonna fish till dark he said

Now the question is will there be a KDC tourny this weekend??? I am doubting it..i remember 2 years ago there was 14 inches in the coves but a part of the main lake was open and they cancelled it(mostly for safety reason for any numbskulls who would walk out near the open spot).
Going to be in the low 20's at night all week so maybe we'll get lucky!!!!

Ok...if you go by accuweather it will be in the low 20's at night...if you go by weather channel its higher...

Offline jiggingfoul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 21, 2010, 01:33 PM »
my son fished woodport again today and said the ice is good.making allot of noise.the bite was off today.

Offline fishingrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:48 PM »
Second that.Got a late start today ,fished from 1 to 5 .1 perch ,1 gill ,alot of lookers verrry lite bite but I was getting paid the whole time and even got 3 hours overtime .I'll take it.
If your going to go out with the boys,You better get up with the men.

Offline samoyan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 29, 2010, 10:07 PM »
Hi! What are current ice conditions at Hopatcong?

Offline hungryvolk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fishing the russian way
« Reply #39 on: Jan 30, 2010, 02:55 PM »
  Id like to know that too !! How many inches guys ?!

Offline punkinhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 30, 2010, 04:35 PM »
I was on Hopatcong on 1/29/10---Open edges at the State Park.  I was able to get on at the Windlass and fished near Halsey Island.  Had a steady 6" of ice.

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #41 on: Jan 30, 2010, 05:15 PM »
I guarantee the edges will be fine at the State Park tomorrow...this is major ice making cold.

Offline Quint

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH ON!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 31, 2010, 01:17 PM »
Went out this morning at the State Park, edges were still only like an inch. Shore was good over by the rock pile at the right side of the beach. Wanted to get on the main lake at Barnes but the entire beach area was open like 50 feet out

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #43 on: Jan 31, 2010, 05:23 PM »
Yup...most of the beach was skimmed over....you could get on by the first jetty by walking over it and there was good enough shoreline to walk on by the other jetty..it was solid.

Offline FishinHardWater

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keepin it on the dry side since 2000
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2010, 08:56 PM »
i walked on next to the open water by the boat ramp, no problem, a four wheeler went there in the afternoon too, saw the tracks in the snow  :tipup:

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #45 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:59 AM »
Ice was 6-7" off beach
thicker to the right :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #46 on: Feb 01, 2010, 08:18 AM »
We fished way to the right yesterday..ice was 9-10 inches.  Lots of action.

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #47 on: Feb 02, 2010, 06:43 AM »
We tried to the left this time
action was slow :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline shupa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:49 AM »
Anyone been out to Woodport area recently and know if the ice is still safe out there? Planning on heading out in a little bit, would appreciate any info. Thanks  :tipup:

Offline jiggingfoul

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 03, 2010, 11:00 AM »
my son took a comp day today and is up there right now.just watch the bubblers

Offline shupa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:11 PM »
Not to sound stupid, but what is a bubbler, and how would I spot one?

Offline Crawlerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 03, 2010, 01:00 PM »
Not to sound stupid, but what is a bubbler, and how would I spot one?
They are pumps that pump air and or water to keep the area from freezing. Many properties on Hopatcong have them to prevent ice damage to docks etc. Some are on timers so you might not see anything but open water. Stay away from the edges by the shores. Keep your eyes open, they are usually obvious. I was there Sunday and there was anywhere from 4.5-6.5 inches of ice in the areas I was. A nice crack opened about 2 inches while I was there as ice was being made all day. Snowmobiles racing seems to indicate some strength to the ice. There is open water around though.  Watch where you are going. If you stay on the beaten path you should be OK. I would guess that conditions have much improved ever since Sunday.
Good Luck!

Offline shupa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 03, 2010, 06:58 PM »
Thanks a lot for the info, I've seen those before, bit of an idiot I just kind of assumed there was a hot spring or some warm water in those areas.

Ended up going to Woodport for about an hour, didn't get a nibble.  Ice was ok though, around 6-7" near the island.  There was a weird vertical line extending about 100 yards with no snow on it, which looked much weaker.  Went up to it very cautiously, heard a crack as soon as I put a little weight on it, booked it out of there and didn't venture within 50 yards of it again. No idea what it was, anyone care to enlighten me?  :)  It wasn't from a sled being dragged along it, much wider than that, and the top was wet, as if all the snow on top of it had been melted.

After getting sick of Woodport went to the state park from 4-6 PM, did a bit better with 3 perch and 5 gills jigging, didn't bring the tipups today.  Fished straight out from the boat ramp about 100 yards, ice was a solid 8-9 inches.

Offline Crawlerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:51 PM »
Thanks a lot for the info, I've seen those before, bit of an idiot I just kind of assumed there was a hot spring or some warm water in those areas.

Ended up going to Woodport for about an hour, didn't get a nibble.  Ice was ok though, around 6-7" near the island.  There was a weird vertical line extending about 100 yards with no snow on it, which looked much weaker.  Went up to it very cautiously, heard a crack as soon as I put a little weight on it, booked it out of there and didn't venture within 50 yards of it again. No idea what it was, anyone care to enlighten me?  :)  It wasn't from a sled being dragged along it, much wider than that, and the top was wet, as if all the snow on top of it had been melted.

After getting sick of Woodport went to the state park from 4-6 PM, did a bit better with 3 perch and 5 gills jigging, didn't bring the tipups today.  Fished straight out from the boat ramp about 100 yards, ice was a solid 8-9 inches.

If it was running parallel to the shore and running toward the Island it  may have been the crack I was talking about. The ice has been cracking a lot there and it's unnerving when one runs under you. That was an unusual crack, I assume pressure from both ends of the lake caused it to split. It was like a torn piece of lunchmeat. Not pretty, I stayed away from it and it was refreezing when I left. People beware it may be dangerous around that crack.
 Due to water expanding as it freezes is what causes it. Also the ice can shift from the wind due to the fact that some places there is no ice at the edges.
 The pressure can cause heaving into a ridge, in bad cases, and pull aparts in other places.

Use caution in those areas.

Offline projoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:51 PM »
ive seen cracks lake that on smaller lakes that go directly across the lake. IDK what casues them but on the smaller lakes water comes through them refreezes and its all good after that, at least ive walked over them without a problem. when it refreezes it is a white ice so idk the strength of it.

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #55 on: Feb 04, 2010, 07:00 AM »
Theres a need to take extra care in low light when ice is making fast and your hear extra sharp loud cracking. You don't want to walk right into a fresh crack or wedge in the dark.

Offline shupa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 05, 2010, 12:59 AM »
Theres a need to take extra care in low light when ice is making fast and your hear extra sharp loud cracking. You don't want to walk right into a fresh crack or wedge in the dark.

Yup definitely will do, I'm pretty cautious out there already, first season and all.  Still get nervous when I hear the ice groaning and shifting, even if I know I'm standing on a good 8+ inches.

If it was running parallel to the shore and running toward the Island it  may have been the crack I was talking about. The ice has been cracking a lot there and it's unnerving when one runs under you. That was an unusual crack, I assume pressure from both ends of the lake caused it to split. It was like a torn piece of lunchmeat. Not pretty, I stayed away from it and it was refreezing when I left. People beware it may be dangerous around that crack.
 Due to water expanding as it freezes is what causes it. Also the ice can shift from the wind due to the fact that some places there is no ice at the edges.
 The pressure can cause heaving into a ridge, in bad cases, and pull aparts in other places.

Use caution in those areas.

Yup I'm pretty certain we're talking about the same one.  I'll second that recommendation of taking extra care near it, newbie that I may be, it definitely did not look normal or safe.  On a brighter note, nice cold stretch coming up, should make some nice ice  ;D

Side bar - I feel like I read somewhere on this site that snow is bad for the ice.  True? False? If true, why is that, does anyone know?

Offline Crawlerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 05, 2010, 07:33 AM »
When people say snow is bad for the ice,  I would say they mean the snow will insulate the ice and it doesn't thicken as fast. I think there is some truth to it, however it helps protect it from rain and warm weather also I think, so not so bad.

It makes travel on foot harder and also the weight of it causes water to come up and flood the top of the ice however. Standing in water sucks!

And then you got to move it away from the holes or it fills them in.

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gut pile.
« Reply #58 on: Feb 05, 2010, 08:57 AM »
I don't mind 4-5 inches of solid black ( clear no bubbles ) ice. I go 280 as a jaybird and push 300 with the gear on. What I don't like is when you go out and the ice is good, then coming back you have to step over the leads that open up. Seems to get me more puckered up the wider they are. When on Greenwood some years back, and had one about a foot wide, I spend some time looking for and not finding a better option to cross. That's game though, learn from the old timers and don't do dumb, now where did I put that 10 inch wide plank???

Offline 4inch_ok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #59 on: Feb 05, 2010, 01:52 PM »
I bought those thingamagigs that you wear around your neck with the nails so if you fall through you can pull yourself out. There are two kinds. The ones where the two handles fit into each other and the ones that have a spring loaded little scabbard around the points. Don't get the spring loaded ones, get the fit together ones. I have the spring loaded ones and they are a pain in the a$$ because they get in the way when you are working on tipups and such.  I tried stuffing them in my pockets and pulling them out by the string and the connection to the device broke. I retied them with clove hitches and fixed that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.