Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 824112 times)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"
« Reply #1470 on: Dec 30, 2016, 10:33 AM »
A fairly simple question----do you make the holes in the support that's attached to the skis much bigger than the bolt dia? I have now made mine but I'm having trouble getting the bolts line up with and go down into the holes. There is a certain amount of 'slop' in fitting the X-beams into the supports. IMO, there needs to be so that it's readily assembled once you take it from the vehicle. That 'slop' seems to make lining up the bolts a bit of a prob. The dilemma is that if I make them too big the whole ass'y will be too loose fitting.

I think I'll need to label the beams 'back' and 'front' as well as 'right' on the end that goes right anyway.

Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1471 on: Dec 31, 2016, 01:50 PM »
A fairly simple question----do you make the holes in the support that's attached to the skis much bigger than the bolt dia? I have now made mine but I'm having trouble getting the bolts line up with and go down into the holes. There is a certain amount of 'slop' in fitting the X-beams into the supports. IMO, there needs to be so that it's readily assembled once you take it from the vehicle. That 'slop' seems to make lining up the bolts a bit of a prob. The dilemma is that if I make them too big the whole ass'y will be too loose fitting.

I think I'll need to label the beams 'back' and 'front' as well as 'right' on the end that goes right anyway.
I use the same hole diameter as the bolt for a snug fit......once you get it assembled in the risers......letter or number each joint so it can go together the same each time.....hope this helps you.....tight lines.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1472 on: Dec 31, 2016, 02:07 PM »

I marked the underside center of the cross braces with an arrow ---> for forward and a Letter "R" rear "F" front brace. EZPZ
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1473 on: Dec 31, 2016, 03:29 PM »
Thx, guys. I think I had trouble because I had inadvertently switched them around(I think) after drilling. Once I got them sliding up and down easily I maked them LF, RF, LR, RR so it doesn't happen again. I might take a rubber mallet along the first couple of times in case a little 'persuasion' is needed.  :)

Offline Lrains

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1474 on: Jan 03, 2017, 12:20 PM »

Offline joechicago

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ...if it's frozen drill it.
« Reply #1475 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:15 AM »
It must upset these plastic tub makers to see their products carried onto the ice on homemade sleds ;)
God does not count in man's allotted span, the days spent fishing.

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1476 on: Jan 04, 2017, 01:40 PM »
It must upset these plastic tub makers to see their products carried onto the ice on homemade sleds ;)
I don't use my smitty when there isn't any snow. I just drag the plastic tub across the grass.
Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline Niki

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1477 on: Jan 12, 2017, 03:10 PM »
Hello dear sobratya.Ya live in Russia in Perm krae.Dumal that only we like tinkering with their fishing equipment for you is too rukami.A loggerhead rebyata.Ochen interesting ideas have been laid out on the forum.

Offline Niki

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1478 on: Jan 12, 2017, 03:23 PM »
 Hello dear sobratya.Ya live in Russia in Perm krae.Dumal that only we like tinkering with their fishing equipment for you is too rukami.A loggerhead rebyata.Ochen interesting ideas have been laid out on the forum.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1479 on: Jan 13, 2017, 09:17 PM »
I finally built one, and they are as awesome as everyone on here says.  I used someone's 4 colors of spray paint to mark the cross bars location.  Used 2x8s which are perfect height, I don't need to bend over as much to get things out of the bottom of my sled.  Also the seat is at the perfect height to sit on it on the sled (I'm 6'2").  Used newer side cut skis which seem to work well (160 length). 
As smitty mentioned long rope is perfect, 16-18ft.
Also I found that you might wanna cut your notches for the 2x4s in the 2x8s before doing the diagonal cuts, so it's easier to clamp to your bench. This thread is a wealth of info for anyone wanting to build one, but I am sure the plans are great as well.  And of course, thanks smitty for the idea! Friends and fam are like "why is it a smitty sled?" And I do my best to explain!

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1480 on: Jan 15, 2017, 09:36 AM »
I finally built one, and they are as awesome as everyone on here says.  I used someone's 4 colors of spray paint to mark the cross bars location.  Used 2x8s which are perfect height, I don't need to bend over as much to get things out of the bottom of my sled.  Also the seat is at the perfect height to sit on it on the sled (I'm 6'2").  Used newer side cut skis which seem to work well (160 length). 
As smitty mentioned long rope is perfect, 16-18ft.
Also I found that you might wanna cut your notches for the 2x4s in the 2x8s before doing the diagonal cuts, so it's easier to clamp to your bench. This thread is a wealth of info for anyone wanting to build one, but I am sure the plans are great as well.  And of course, thanks smitty for the idea! Friends and fam are like "why is it a smitty sled?" And I do my best to explain!

Great looking "Smitty" Spoon.......hope you will have a lot more fun experiences with it, thanks for posting pictures.......tight lines

[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #1481 on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:10 PM »
I have been noodling around in my head a plan to build a custom "fishin' box" for my ice fishing schtuff, well, last weekend I built it....kind of a beast but it has room for everything we need and then some. The portable tent would simply ride on top, there are eye bolts on the sides for tying stuff down if needed.
free picture upload

picture hosting

images

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #1483 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:10 AM »
I've had thoughts of making a big box like that but adding an Ontario style shanty on top, then I'll have a place to fish from instead of out in the elements, and also have all my gear covered.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1484 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:18 AM »
That came out great Lav. 

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1485 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:35 AM »
Spoondangler, can you buy just the seat for that tub or is that off a flipover? I would love to have the back support and not use a regular folding chair. Nice SSled too!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1486 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:47 AM »
I've had thoughts of making a big box like that but adding an Ontario style shanty on top, then I'll have a place to fish from instead of out in the elements, and also have all my gear covered.

That would be cool. One drawback is that if the parking lot where you are deploying from is bare ground the heavy box has to be carried to the ice - or wheeled. I gotta figure that part out. I think I can dream up a simple 2 wheel dolly with a long draw bar that will be easy to use.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1487 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:48 AM »
That came out great Lav.

Thanks Pete, Little Lav was pulling it around the yard Sunday with relative ease so my two mule team should be good to go on long hauls  ;D ;D

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1488 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:16 AM »
Thanks Pete, Little Lav was pulling it around the yard Sunday with relative ease so my two mule team should be good to go on long hauls  ;D ;D

Just pack an extra bag of Sour Patch Kids and/or gummi bears to keep them moving across the parking lot and up the hill. 

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1489 on: Jan 17, 2017, 01:55 PM »
That would be cool. One drawback is that if the parking lot where you are deploying from is bare ground the heavy box has to be carried to the ice - or wheeled. I gotta figure that part out. I think I can dream up a simple 2 wheel dolly with a long draw bar that will be easy to use.
that's where sleds and quads come into play,

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1490 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:03 PM »
that's where sleds and quads come into play,

Good point

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1491 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:10 PM »
This is sort of what I have in mind. Something very simple, set the Smitty onto this and the two non-union mules can easily cart the whole sled to the ice then put this cart back in the truck and lock it up.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1492 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:03 PM »
You could add a long bar to the front with a wheel on it that would contact the ground when brought down into the towing position and at the same time lifting the front of the box off the ground allowing your non-union mules to pull the box to the ice. Somewhere on IS was a smitty sled with wheels, had lawn mower wheels and axle through uprights, wheels were only about a 1/2in. under ski's looked like it would do the job on concrete or dirt.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #1493 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:49 PM »
This is sort of what I have in mind. Something very simple, set the Smitty onto this and the two non-union mules can easily cart the whole sled to the ice then put this cart back in the truck and lock it up.

(Image removed from quote.)

That's cool you could pin skis to the axles and have the best of both worlds!
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1494 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:21 PM »
Spoondangler, can you buy just the seat for that tub or is that off a flipover? I would love to have the back support and not use a regular folding chair. Nice SSled too!

The seat is part of that popover shelter, I love that the smitty makes it higher of the ground

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1495 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:10 AM »
That's cool you could pin skis to the axles and have the best of both worlds!
Consider this design......all-in-one....... http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=333848.0

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1496 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:26 AM »
Consider this design......all-in-one....... http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=333848.0

Hmmmm, more food for thought! Thanks Smitty  @)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1497 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:57 PM »

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1498 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05:31 PM »
Or you could check out post 69-74 at this link.

http://www.lakesimcoeoutdoors.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22047&hl=smitty%20sled&st=60

Gotta be a member to see pictures there...

<°)))>{

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1499 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:38 AM »
Gotta be a member to see pictures there...

<°)))>{

Yup, could not see pics, can you repost them here?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.