Author Topic: Best brand of ATV battery  (Read 13866 times)

Offline BROOKIEGILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best brand of ATV battery
« on: Dec 14, 2012, 08:26 PM »
I have a polaris so=portsman 500 and go through a battery a year can you reccomend a good quality brand?

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best brand of ATV battery
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2012, 08:33 PM »
Yuasa! I can guarentee you have a BatteriesPlus near you somewhere, and they will have them. Ask for an Absorbed Glass Mat battery for your vehicle, they will set you up. It's not widely known, but there are less than half a dozen powersports and motorsports battery manufacturers out there. All the rest are made by them and rebranded and resold. Do you use a battery tender in the off season? Or does this wheeler get used all year round? A battery doesn't like sitting for months without being charged. It will actually die faster sitting doing nothing than it would being charged and discharged frequently.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Anytime it isnt loaded on the trailer or in the back of your truck it should be on a battery tender. If you do this, it really doesnt matter. All batteries will get about 3-4 years with a tender, 1-3 without.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BuckFish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2012, 08:40 PM »
get a cheap one from walmart i do the same thing every year..

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2012, 09:13 PM »
The word is out, 30 years of battery life with the best charger.

But, $200, ouch.          http://teslachargers.com/

As always, I may as well cast pearls before swine.  Read on.    :roflmao: :cookoo:

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2012, 09:30 PM »
get a cheap one from walmart i do the same thing every year..

That is what's called reverse economics. I go to BatteriesPlus for my motorcycles and sleds, and I'm kinda a motorsports nut. Here's the thing... a cheap Walmart battery is gonna cost you $39 anyway (not for most of my stuff, but maybe a wheeler? doesn't matter anyway) and a good, sealed AGM battery is gonna cost you $69-79 I'd bet. Now follow me with the math... a Battery Tender is gonna cost you $50 or so... so add the AGM battery and you are at $129. The battery tender is gonna last you forever and I get like said above, 3-4 years out of heavy, but SEASONAL use (hard on batterys). The annual $39 walmart batterys is gonna cost you $160 for the 4 years. Basically twice what I pay for my quality AGM batterys. It cost me a lot of Walmart batterys to get it myself! Now you can get more time out of a Walmart battery using a tender too, but unless you are really dilligent with the water levels (I aint got time for that LOL) I never got more than a few years. You are still ahead with a sealed AGM battery by not having to replace it every 2 years.

BatterysPlus is all over the country, I don't work for them, but they have great prices on Yuasa made AGM batterys and always have what I need in stock. I don't even call anymore, it's pointless- they have it. But of course you should call with you application. 
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline outlaw5oo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2012, 12:17 AM »
Bikemaster trugel battery 2 year warranty got one on my outlaw well worth the 80 I paid

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2012, 05:24 AM »
I have a 07 Honda 4x4 rancher, still has the original battery, and do not use a tender. use it all the time on the farm. And for hunting fishing. I must be on borrowed time, but I will get the same as whats in it when the time comes.
:icefish:

Offline BROOKIEGILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2012, 06:32 AM »
That is what's called reverse economics. I go to BatteriesPlus for my motorcycles and sleds, and I'm kinda a motorsports nut. Here's the thing... a cheap Walmart battery is gonna cost you $39 anyway (not for most of my stuff, but maybe a wheeler? doesn't matter anyway) and a good, sealed AGM battery is gonna cost you $69-79 I'd bet. Now follow me with the math... a Battery Tender is gonna cost you $50 or so... so add the AGM battery and you are at $129. The battery tender is gonna last you forever and I get like said above, 3-4 years out of heavy, but SEASONAL use (hard on batterys). The annual $39 walmart batterys is gonna cost you $160 for the 4 years. Basically twice what I pay for my quality AGM batterys. It cost me a lot of Walmart batterys to get it myself! Now you can get more time out of a Walmart battery using a tender too, but unless you are really dilligent with the water levels (I aint got time for that LOL) I never got more than a few years. You are still ahead with a sealed AGM battery by not having to replace it every 2 years.

BatterysPlus is all over the country, I don't work for them, but they have great prices on Yuasa made AGM batterys and always have what I need in stock. I don't even call anymore, it's pointless- they have it. But of course you should call with you application.
Thanks I will see what I can find in a Good sealed battery and I have a tender already.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2012, 06:36 AM »
Anytime it isnt loaded on the trailer or in the back of your truck it should be on a battery tender. If you do this, it really doesnt matter. All batteries will get about 3-4 years with a tender, 1-3 without.

That what I just did for the snowmobile.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Kip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2012, 08:09 AM »
Interstate
Drilling Lakes out Since 1975 !

Offline Crash1433

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2012, 08:23 AM »
I think your time is better spent trying to figure out why your machine is chewing up and killing batteries. I have an 07 arctic cat that is still on the original battery. My 2000 honda superhawk would still have a 5 or 6 yr old battery if I didn't slip up and let it freeze last winter in storage. Is there a draw somewhere killing it? Will the batteries take a charge from any other machine after they come out of yours? As with anything else you will def get what you pay for when it comes to batteries. Spend the extra and save yourself the headache of changing a dead battery in the middle of winter

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2012, 08:39 AM »
INTERSTATE!

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2012, 08:47 AM »
I think your time is better spent trying to figure out why your machine is chewing up and killing batteries. I have an 07 arctic cat that is still on the original battery. My 2000 honda superhawk would still have a 5 or 6 yr old battery if I didn't slip up and let it freeze last winter in storage. Is there a draw somewhere killing it? Will the batteries take a charge from any other machine after they come out of yours? As with anything else you will def get what you pay for when it comes to batteries. Spend the extra and save yourself the headache of changing a dead battery in the middle of winter
X2
:icefish:

Offline smontague

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up, ass down
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:12 AM »
Interstate.

Have one in my brute force for 3 years now. Lots of juice and never charged it once.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2012, 10:03 AM »

All newer ATVs constantly draw from the battery for the electronics board unless you unhook the battery leads. That is why it needs to be on a tender to keep it at full charge all the time.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2012, 10:40 AM »
Sorry for you but Interstate doesn't make batteries. 

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2012, 10:44 AM »
walmart brands. I have been running them in everything from my harley, quad, vehicles and boats. consumer reports placed them one of the highest in satisfactory and cost

Offline smontague

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up, ass down
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2012, 02:01 PM »
Sorry for you but Interstate doesn't make batteries.

I`ll post the photo of my interstate ATV battery tonight bud.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2012, 02:20 PM »
I didn't say, they don't sell batteries, they don't make them. ;)  Most are made by Johnson controls and re label them for a large number of companies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.