The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Northern Pike fishing Canyon Ferry?  (Read 3668 times)

Offline CaptHoss

• IceShanty Rookie
Northern Pike fishing Canyon Ferry?
« on: Feb 17, 2020, 02:45 PM »
I just got the new regulation book for 2020.  Canyon Ferry will be open for pike spearing next season, making me think there's a decent/fishable number of fish in there.  Has anyone been catching any/any more than years past? Was going to try around the south end of the reservoir duck creek bay, the bays up from the silos maybe? I would definitely like to see a fishable population of pike in SW Montana but not going to be good for the walleye or perch fishing in there. I think it would be worth trying through the ice this season but also will try this spring along the shore, exchanged emails with a fisheries biologist for CF and he thinks it would be worth a shot in those areas.
The ice is always safe. The question is, are you?

Offline Bhoesl

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Northern Pike fishing Canyon Ferry?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2020, 07:57 PM »
I don’t know about canyon ferry specifically, but just because they opened it to spearing may not mean there’s a population of pike in there.  I know of atleast a couple lakes around here that have been opened to spearing just because a pike or two was found, and not wanted in that body of water.

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2020, 09:18 AM »
pike love to eat salmon, none in CF. But there cuz. Trout live there and are quite healthy. Have personally caught pike n been with people that have got some giants trolling for walleye. Just stop by Bent Willow tackle shop in Townsend. Or KOA. Pics of my buddies was in there 39”
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline lkn4nibls

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2020, 01:56 PM »
I have been seeing them for years with my camera in shallow water on the south end. I have had pike that I thought were going to eat my camera 2 in from it. The most I saw in one morning was three ,two about 5# and one about 15#. So they are there in fair numbers.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2020, 04:31 PM »
You'll have to forgive my ignorance on Canyon Ferry, as I've never fished it.  Does it have the habitat to support a pike explosion?  Those of you with cameras should head to CF's shallow water weed beds (if there are any to begin with) once they kick into spawn mode.  It would be interesting to see if you notice a few more than throughout the rest of the year.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2020, 04:34 PM »
The reason I ask is that pike have been caught in Koocanusa, but that doesn't necessarily indicate a pike-takeover.  There are so few weed beds for them, and those that are there are few and far between.  The pike that are there are impressive in size, but their numbers aren't.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2020, 09:52 PM »
I don't think there's gonna be a Pike explosion in the lake, but has a good enough habitat to sustain them and they're numbers have been rising over the years. One thing to consider is that anything other than trout is frowned upon in that lake, so opening spearing may be a device to try and help eradicate them from that body of water.

Offline CaptHoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2020, 11:16 AM »
lookin4nibbles, Thats one of the better reports I have heard in that 3 pike swam by just your camera. There easily could have been more around that you didn't see, might have been worth putting out some tip ups!  Any chance you could point us in the direction where you saw those denizens? I feel there isn't a ton of grass in there except the south end so I was definitely thinking about trying out from some of the ponds down there.  Also was considering some shore fishing after ice out in the small bays south of the silos and off the pond berms. Would be neat to figure out a relatively new fishery in that lake.

Offline lkn4nibls

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2020, 01:35 PM »
Just off of the dykes I about 5 ft of water. All I had was worms and circle hooks, they would keep coming back and starring at the worm moving but would not touch it. The only thing I usually fish for is trout but this year has been a bust for me. good luck.

Offline CaptHoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2020, 11:47 AM »
Thanks lookin4nibbles, I will have to give it a try before we loose our ice. Might not be a bad starting point for some shore fishing either!

Offline remyjames23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2021, 10:05 AM »
Thanks lookin4nibbles, I will have to give it a try before we loose our ice. Might not be a bad starting point for some shore fishing either!

Did you ever make it out? I am interested in trying it this winter up on Canyon Ferry and any more intel would be great. That means we have to get ice first of course >:(

Offline Petoskey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2021, 03:22 PM »
The winner of the Big Pike side pot on the Canyon Ferry Walleye tourney this summer was something like 44-46 inches. They’re in there, and there are some big ones!
Fern got sick in ‘94 and missed 6 weeks on the hardwater with mono, don’t know what that means but I’ve used braid ever since

Offline remyjames23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2021, 01:07 PM »
With no live bait I am curious what to put under a tip up for them in Canyon Ferry. Just a smelt on a quick strike rig maybe? Definitely going to have to give it a try soon.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2021, 09:03 AM »
big suspended sucker minnow might be worth trying   :tipup:
Dont ask

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.