The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Need your help  (Read 1107 times)

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
Need your help
« on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:36 PM »
My dad is mostly bound to his wheelchair.  We love to ice fish, but I have to drag him out on a sled.  Don't have a wheeler.
Only been out once this year because of my two little kids.
Any spots you've been around Missoula without much snow that has safe ice that I can get him to?  Remember, I have to drag him out on the ice.

Thanks! Matt

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: Need your help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2020, 04:25 PM »
you could make a sled/chair or strap skis on the wheel chair. ?  a smity sled base for the chair mite be the ticket.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2020, 04:27 PM »
My dad is mostly bound to his wheelchair.  We love to ice fish, but I have to drag him out on a sled.  Don't have a wheeler.
Only been out once this year because of my two little kids.
Any spots you've been around Missoula without much snow that has safe ice that I can get him to?  Remember, I have to drag him out on the ice.

Thanks! Matt

Make a Smitty Chair! Be the first and post your photos.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2020, 05:46 PM »
I would suggest trying to make some contacts in the ice skating/hockey community...or someone in the ice fish community who has a quad with a plow to create easier access.......maybe there is some money out there for this.. I will talk to a few people I know who are pretty talented at writing grants...there definitely should be some regional sites that are maintained for people with disabilities and elderly..its really a shame that these type of places don't already exist....if there was fishable ice around polson bay ..I would take him there......lets see what the weekend weather does..maybe some spots around Missoula will be better... a quad from the state park at lmr is an option...sorry I don't have a quad....

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2020, 06:54 PM »
Matt, I talked to Zimmer today and you mite have best chance on LMR.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline Piltzviller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cruising through life one ice hole at a time...
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2020, 07:11 PM »
I was gonna suggest LMR as well. Just a small skiff of snow on Monday.

Offline Baitslinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2020, 10:30 PM »
http://montech.ruralinstitute.umt.edu/

http://recreation.ruralinstitute.umt.edu/mt/

Both of these sites have a lot of good info about Montanans with disabilities and getting them outdoors.  Based in Missoula, all free, and associated with the University of Montana.
Fat, Drunk, and Stupid for over half a century

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2020, 10:42 PM »
Thanks for your help guys!  A few places I like to take him don’t have safe ice

Offline Fat perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2020, 09:02 AM »
If he’s into fly fishing there is a guide that has a Driftboat that is built for wheelchair access. There is a door in the stern that you roll right up on and then he straps the chair down and your off! He does a ton of work with disabled vets and would love to take your dad I’m sure. I believe he’s out of Polson or Missoula, I’ve met him on the lower Flathead river many times...

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2020, 11:37 AM »
If he’s into fly fishing there is a guide that has a Driftboat that is built for wheelchair access. There is a door in the stern that you roll right up on and then he straps the chair down and your off! He does a ton of work with disabled vets and would love to take your dad I’m sure. I believe he’s out of Polson or Missoula, I’ve met him on the lower Flathead river many times...
I know who he is.  Believe his name is Steve.  I get my dad out in my drift boat quite a bit, and we use my dads lake boat a ton in the summer.  He just loves to ice fish.  Had back surgery 8 years ago and came out of it with no feeling below his knees.  Doctor "accidentally" nicked his spinal cord.
We get to ice fish once or twice a year.  It's no fun dragging him out in my shack, and I sure as hell am not driving on the ice.

Offline BloodShotP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:07 PM »
Wow that’s tragic man. Best wishes and stay safe out there. I’m not up that direction so can’t help w easy access location ideas. PM me if you ever come down towards YNP.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.