The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hyalite is hot!  (Read 11786 times)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
Re: Hyalite is hot!
« Reply #90 on: Feb 20, 2020, 08:20 PM »
Great post Steve!! Appreciate it!!

Offline BloodShotP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Feb 20, 2020, 09:21 PM »
 :bow: :bow: couldn’t be more well stated.

Offline PablitoPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Feb 20, 2020, 09:52 PM »
Everybody wants “free” crap these days. “Free” healthcare, “free” college, “free” fishing and hunting honey holes. The truth is you get exactly what you pay for and put into it. There’s nothing more gratifying than putting the work in and finding your own honey hole. The struggle is what makes success so sweet. People need to quit looking for shortcuts and put their own time in. Those who give away hot intel are just feeding into people’s impatience and need for instant gratification

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Feb 20, 2020, 09:53 PM »
fantastic words....maybe someday the younger generation will truly know the heart felt beauty of your words....I am hoping...

Using your terminology, I don't know what constitutes the "younger generation" but I'm 31, and some of us are listening!  I enjoy the trial and error; it makes the success that much sweeter...why spoil it with a crowd?

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Feb 20, 2020, 09:54 PM »
There’s nothing more gratifying than putting the work in and finding your own honey hole. The struggle is what makes success so sweet.

I believe we shared the same wavelength there Pablito!

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Feb 20, 2020, 10:45 PM »
Im on both sides of this argument.... 2 years ago i posted 2 small fish i caught on here from an incredibly common spot everyone knows of... The next day i showed up and there was 6 times the trucks as usual.... This year i posted a certain lake was one of my favorite panfish lakes... 2 weeks later the dnr report said the lake continued to see a larger than normal amount of angler pressure... I drove there a few days later and there were trucks from ohio indiana illinois and even a pennsylvania..... This lake is not nationally renowned ill tell you that... But i yearn to help other fishermen because i know the strugglenof getting your hopes up to come home empty handed... Ive fished 8 trips this year and on 1 trip brought home 7 keeper panfish.... Thats it.... That sucks..... I do t like feeling like that and im sure no one else does either..... I dont know what to say.... To each his own i suppose
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #96 on: Feb 21, 2020, 05:35 AM »
An interesting topic. A long time ago before the internet was a thing, there was the "Hunting and Fishing News". In the beginning I thought it was awesome! People talking about where the hot spots were! There were so many Great spots that were DESTROYED by all of that publicity. We started to learned in those days that maybe having your picture on the front page wasn't worth a great favorite place going down the tubes. The internet is exponentially more powerful! I try to be very careful about blowing up my favorite spots, and even so, still find myself unwittingly "letting the cat out of the bag" from time to time. Had to learn about that "location" setting on the phone. That damn thing labels everything with a really accurate location! I didn't even know it! For myself and my brother, we love our outdoor time. We approach it in a far more hardcore way than a lot of people do, and to a lot of people it must look like work. That means when we find a really good place we put a high value on it. When I see people asking where and how, I just laugh and ignore it. Maybe that makes me an A-hole; don't know and don't care. Sometimes a respectful and carefully worded P.M. will find me in a good mood and result in some useful information, but you can be assured that you ain't getting specific locations! Who knows I could even lead you in a different direction! Pictures of fish are taken by us because of the beauty of the fish. To me they are a marvelous creation. My wish is for everyone to find that beauty too, but I ain't holding your hand. The real sense of pride comes from doing myself. I wish more people were that way. I cringe when I see someone spouting off about a place I like to hunt or fish, but it's a free country. I just hope that like most things it will blow over and disappear. Usually it does, but occasionally that great place goes down to pressure. Too many people here now to prevent it. That's one reason that I rarely put pictures here now. I'd rather keep my places good than show the pictures. It used to be about sharing, but anymore it's more like a shark tank and I'm the bait fish.   

Youtubers, tic tockers, and Facebook fishermen...please read these words and let them soak in. A well written and thoughtful response to this thread. Thanks for your contribution SRA61
So many fish, so little time.

Offline CaptHoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Feb 21, 2020, 11:44 AM »
If you guys don't want attention drawn to hyalite/this post, stop commenting on it and let it die in the threads.  However, glad to see hyalite is fishing well.
The ice is always safe. The question is, are you?

Offline ribka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Feb 21, 2020, 07:37 PM »
It is helpful to post  ice conditions and road reports. It can help people be safe. But when you report how great a place is, all it does is put so much pressure on an area it ruins it. A few years ago reports and newspaper articles about how good Holter Lake ice fishing for perch was, it ruined it. Within a couple weeks there were hundreds of people fishing and you could not even find a place to park. Think about what you are doing with your articles and reports.   Alan, Belgrade

yep

Offline FinalSwim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Feb 24, 2020, 04:35 PM »
I remember when this site used to be about sharing information and helping each other out. Seems like every year it becomes less and less about fishing and more about policing what people should and shouldn’t post. I appreciate the select few who have shared info in the past.

Offline OTTOCAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Feb 24, 2020, 10:54 PM »
Just thank social media.....

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Feb 24, 2020, 11:16 PM »
Do away with all of it. All social media and all hunting and fishing info sites. Go back to the way it used to be

Offline mtgrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Nov 19, 2021, 10:08 AM »
The truth is that 5 % of fishermen catch 90% of the fish. You can put some fishermen on the greatest Glory Hole their is and they will get skunked. Fishing sites and info. only lead a horse to the water but can't make them drink. On most of my fishing trips, I see very few other anglers catching anything. They may say different but their truth is not the reality. What I love most about ice fishing are the fishermen that I meet. Our group are the most helpful and friendly anglers of any other fishing group. There are few fishermen that always seem to be unsatisfied, and selfish. Oh well.
In the case of Hyalite, there are fewer fish because the state stocks way less. At one time they stocked 10,000 fry a year, usually in June. Now the number is down to less than 4,000. Check the stocking records. The Cuts are also reproducing as are the other species.
In a society where folks hoard, cheat, and can be selfish, its nice to be a part of a sport where most members share, teach, and celebrate the fellowship and sport.
I still read about the anglers that complain the road to Hyalite is plowed. In the old days, only anglers with snowmobiles could get there. Even when the road is plowed, the road is sketchy and 4wd is a must. Those without end up in the ditch.
Fishing is way different than catching. Often, just the hope of a positive fishing report is enough to enjoy the day. Not all fishermen need to catch a fish.
Tight Lines,
Montana Grant

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #103 on: Nov 19, 2021, 11:06 AM »
There are no "glory holes" in Hyalite...move around until you find fish. Some days are great other days not so much - I don't think it has anything to do with being a better fisherman at Hyalite. Now CF or other bodies of water with more structure/different fish I would agree that you need to find the right spots.

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish, and than fish some more!
« Reply #104 on: Dec 14, 2021, 03:57 PM »
The truth is that 5 % of fishermen catch 90% of the fish. You can put some fishermen on the greatest Glory Hole their is and they will get skunked. Fishing sites and info. only lead a horse to the water but can't make them drink. On most of my fishing trips, I see very few other anglers catching anything. They may say different but their truth is not the reality. What I love most about ice fishing are the fishermen that I meet. Our group are the most helpful and friendly anglers of any other fishing group. There are few fishermen that always seem to be unsatisfied, and selfish. Oh well.
In the case of Hyalite, there are fewer fish because the state stocks way less. At one time they stocked 10,000 fry a year, usually in June. Now the number is down to less than 4,000. Check the stocking records. The Cuts are also reproducing as are the other species.
In a society where folks hoard, cheat, and can be selfish, its nice to be a part of a sport where most members share, teach, and celebrate the fellowship and sport.
I still read about the anglers that complain the road to Hyalite is plowed. In the old days, only anglers with snowmobiles could get there. Even when the road is plowed, the road is sketchy and 4wd is a must. Those without end up in the ditch.
Fishing is way different than catching. Often, just the hope of a positive fishing report is enough to enjoy the day. Not all fishermen need to catch a fish.
Love this take, we need more people with attitudes like this.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #105 on: Dec 14, 2021, 04:36 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Love this take, we need more people with attitudes like this.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.