The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Brand new here, with cordless drill questions  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
Brand new here, with cordless drill questions
« on: Dec 20, 2018, 10:08 PM »
Hi guys hoping you can help me I haven't gone ice fishing in the last 8yrs due to a permanent disability, as a result I can no longer lug my gas powered auger. So After watching some You Tube videos I went to Home Depot online and bought a Ridgid R86008 drill driver it has a 2 speed switch & an auxiliary handle along with 535 in" lbs of torque and (2) 1.5 lithium ion batteries .  I plan to use this drill with my Mora Strikemaster 8" hand auger I know the 1.5 packs wont offer me a lot of holes,but until I can afford a larger batterythey will have to do...  So the million dollar question....  Will this work? Any advice here would be welcomed

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Brand new here, with cordless drill questions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2018, 10:33 PM »
I’d go return that drill. Minimum recommended is 725in/lb brushless drills for 8” augers. If it’s brushless, it might work for a smaller auger for a few holes per battery. You’d be much better off getting the newer rigid drill, which free when you get the 9ah battery and charger kit for like $150.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2018, 11:45 PM »
welcome to the shanty!

home depot has a 90 day hassle free return policy. i would take it all back and tell them you want the 9 amp octane battery and charger kit. it costs 170$. costs you another 50$. also offers the lifetime warranty on all of it.
they offer a free tool when you buy it so grab the octane drill for free. it has 1300 inch pounds and will turn any hand auger.

the 525 inch pound drill you just bought would have turned a 5 inch and maybe a 6 inch but not with those tiny batteries.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2018, 03:00 AM »
I just used my setup for the first time ever and was very impressed. I have a Bosch HDS181A-01...18V 4.0 batterey...600 in.lb. that turned my 4" laser through 6" of ice with no problem ( although it does grab a bit just before it breaks through...as do most lasers ). Got it online from HD for $224 w/tax and free shipping, 2 batteries, charger and bag. Probably not going to turn your 8" very well but see no problem if you downsized to a 6" (I'm going to try it with my 6" when I put out some tip ups). I bought it because it was a pretty good deal and it's one of the lightest drills.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2018, 07:01 AM »
you will want at least a 5 amp hour battery and yes at least a 700 + lbs of torque in the drill you purchase. If weight means everything I would go with a Milwaukee fuel, and a 5 ah battery with a 6" mora. Probably less torque on your body with a 6" rather than an 8". Possibly the clam plate would assist for better positioning depending on your  disability. I would definitely go with a Milwaukee over a Ridgid lol thats always a hotly contested debate. Good Luck

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2018, 07:40 AM »
Man am I glad I found this forum!!  I returned the Ridgid this morning and got the one I should have they only had 3 left its the R86116 with 750 in"lbs of torque! On sale for 79.00   and after applying for Home Depot credit card my final cost...  56.97 !! The drill comes with (2) 1.5 lithium ion power packs, handle & charger so I saved myself some money that I can use to get a stronger battery for the drill. Thanks again guys for your solid advice.

Offline todalake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2018, 09:03 AM »
Home Depot has sale on the 2 most popular drill setups.   Milwaukee Fuel combo set(drill, impact, 2 5 amp batteries, charger) for $249.  Ridgid Octane drill and battery, LSA   $179.     I would say that 90% of cordless drill users have or would like to have one of these setups.
Clam Base Camp Thermal
Clam Legend Thermal
Nils 6" Lazer 5" & 7"
Ridgid 1300#
Clam Plate/extension

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2018, 10:35 AM »
Man am I glad I found this forum!!  I returned the Ridgid this morning and got the one I should have they only had 3 left its the R86116 with 750 in"lbs of torque! On sale for 79.00 after applying for Home Depot credit card my final cost...  56.97 !! The drill comes with (2) 1.5 lithium ion power packs, handle & charger so I saved myself some money that I can use to get a stronger battery for the drill. Thanks again guys for your solid advice.

the 1.5 amp batteries are also way too small, but you have 90 in all to figure out what works for you. the free tool deal is supposed to end at the end of this year. sounds like they gave you 25$ for getting a credit card. that means the octane kit would cost you 25$ more than the first kit you just returned. it will turn any hand auger.

some thing to keep in mind is when you find the batteries inadequate, you'll be looking to buy bigger batteries and they will not offer the lsa on those when sold outside of a kit form. they will have everyone else's standard 3 year warranty and batteries do wear out.
the drill you just bought will work if it had 4amp batteries on 6" augers all day long. it's what i was running until i bought the octane kit for nearly half price. it would not turn an 8" mora hardly at all. maybe it had dull blades, but i didn't let it try to finish as the job was more than the drill could handle.

someone mentioned they prorate tools so you can return the free tool to get cash back.
they do not do this in stores in my area. they give you the free tool and they don't charge for it so you get nothing back if you return it.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:19 PM »
4ahr batteries are the smallest you should go with.  Going through 5-6" of ice with a 4-5" auger is one thing ....going through 16-20" is another with a 7-8" auger.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline dipNrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:46 AM »
Man am I glad I found this forum!!  I returned the Ridgid this morning and got the one I should have they only had 3 left its the R86116 with 750 in"lbs of torque! On sale for 79.00   and after applying for Home Depot credit card my final cost...  56.97 !! The drill comes with (2) 1.5 lithium ion power packs, handle & charger so I saved myself some money that I can use to get a stronger battery for the drill. Thanks again guys for your solid advice.

Returned this Ryobi last year. Constantly cut on my 5 and 8” augers on 8” of ice.
 Bought the rigid with the free 9amp battery/charger and is a beast. Drilled over 30 holes in 9” of ice and took 10 min to charge full again (indicator showed full before charging) when I got home.
  Plus the rigid handle is a lot bigger and sturdier than the ryobi

Offline Sportdog7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2019, 05:09 PM »
DipNrip, like you I'm amazed at the power the RIDGID R8611506 and with the 9 AH Hyper octane battery it offers me more than I've ever needed.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2019, 05:48 PM »
Just put mine through the 2nd test this weekend and here are the "conditions"...600 in.lb. w/ 4ah battery turning a 6" laser...temps. were in the single digits all day cutting through 12" of ice. Results...punched 18 holes with the drill beginning to labor a bit on the last 2 or 3. I was satisfied considering the conditions...would you be?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.