Author Topic: First wheel house. Need advice on walls and flooring.  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Fejery4491

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey guys,

I started ice fishing a few years back but up until this week I only fished out of portables, I came across a deal I couldn't refuse and bought myself a 6x8. I was planning on building one over the summer but from my calculations I managed to snag this one for less than I'd have into materials. I bought it completely unfinished on the inside and just finished the insulation in the walls and ceiling. Next I'm going to cut holes and do flooring and then finish the walls and ceiling. What do you guys reccomend for the flooring? House carpet, indoor/outdoor, etc? I'm planning on using some sort of prefinished t & g knotty pine of cedar to finish the inside. The fish house is built with aluminum so what is the best way to secure it to aluminum studs? Any input you guys have would be appreicated!

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: First wheel house. Need advice on walls and flooring.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2015, 03:09 PM »
Do the wheels pull off the frame? otherwise, it looks like the wheel is gonna be in the way of the door..

Go Beavers!

Offline Fejery4491

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:27 PM »
Wheel can quickly be removed from the frame, but since they pivot independantly I usually just pivot that wheel all the way back and out of the way.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2015, 04:02 PM »
The only way to secure the tung and groove to the aluminum studs is with a screw of some sort.

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2015, 06:59 PM »
you can attach wood stripping to the aluminum studs then shoot the T&G onto the strips just rember to not leave the screw heads sticking up

Offline dbuchmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was fishin'!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:14 PM »
I have indoor/outdoor carpet in mine from Menards and like it.  Have good traction and seems to dry out quickly.  Only problem I have encountered is snagging a hook on the carpet.  I was in one that had linoleum on the floor and was like a skating rink with wet and snowy boots.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:29 PM »
I have both types of flooring in my Shack. Near the door I have linolium where all the snow and ice comes in with a throw rug on it for traction and close to the woodstove so it drys  out then at the back of the shack where the seating is I have indoor outdoor carpet and it does like dbuchmann said dry quickly.

Offline Fejery4491

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2015, 10:19 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I ended up with some indoor/outdoor carpet from menards. Installed it and the hole covers tonight and it looks great! Too dark for pictures but I'll have some up soon! Now on to the walls. I think the best way to go about that is attaching furring strips the the metal studs and connect the tongue and groove to that. Is there anything you can think of that I should be doing to minimize condensation on the aluminum studs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2015, 10:45 PM »
A good vapor barrier can never hurt.

Offline Fejery4491

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2015, 01:21 PM »
Gonna try to get the poly up and the furring strips to attach the T&G to. Figured I'd throw up a few pictures of the floor. I may have positioned the center 2 holes too close together, but only time will tell.

Next step is figuring out what to use for heat. I'm trying to find a vented heater and since its a small house it almost has to be a wall mount.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200631837_200631837

I just wish the blower was run on 12v instead of 110. Any suggustions on different simular heat sources that don't take up much room and are relatively affordable?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.