The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Gulf of Maine oil drilling protest  (Read 4301 times)

Offline Squidy

• IceShanty Rookie
Gulf of Maine oil drilling protest
« on: Feb 23, 2018, 11:19 AM »
For those interested, there will be an organized protest to the off shore drilling proposal
Maine civic center Augusta Maine March 7th 3PM

https://ignite.biologicaldiversity.org/event/action/316?source=website&akid=

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Gulf of Maine oil drilling protest
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2018, 03:28 PM »
If they want fuel they should start taping the Methane gas from our land fills and start protecting our water table!!!!

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2018, 04:46 PM »
For those interested, there will be an organized protest to the off shore drilling proposal
Maine civic center Augusta Maine March 7th 3PM

https://ignite.biologicaldiversity.org/event/action/316?source=website&akid=

Who's drilling offshore?

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2018, 07:25 PM »
Drill baby drill . Chuck a windmill on top of that rig and kill 2 birds with 1 stone .

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2018, 07:34 PM »
All the Methane rising into the air from the land fills which is puloting the atmosphere  and draining crap into the water table and killing our fish  and bringing all this unstable climate change. and they all want to spend money on windmills and solar panels.

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2018, 09:34 PM »
Waste Management generates from the methane in Hampden
"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2018, 05:18 AM »
Drill baby drill . Chuck a windmill on top of that rig and kill 2 birds with 1 stone .
Had to look.... So, Given your logic, it would appear that, from a natural progression of cognition, you ar enow a wind power over solar supporter, at least for the avian component.  ;D

It concluded, "Wind farms and nuclear power stations are responsible each for between 0.3 and 0.4 fatalities per gigawatt-hour (GWh) of electricity while fossil-fuelled power stations are responsible for about 5.2 fatalities per GWh.”

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-06-farms-bird-slayers-theyre-behere.html#jCp

"Either way, the results show that even with high-range estimates for renewables compared to low-range estimates for fossil fuels, fossil fuels are responsible for far more bird fatalities than solar or wind.”  https://thinkprogress.org/chart-how-many-birds-are-killed-by-wind-solar-oil-and-coal-230d2a939bbb/
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline GRGS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2018, 05:36 AM »
I wonder how many birds are killed by fossil fuel vehicles every year.

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2018, 09:05 AM »
Had to look.... So, Given your logic, it would appear that, from a natural progression of cognition, you ar enow a wind power over solar supporter, at least for the avian component.  ;D

It concluded, "Wind farms and nuclear power stations are responsible each for between 0.3 and 0.4 fatalities per gigawatt-hour (GWh) of electricity while fossil-fuelled power stations are responsible for about 5.2 fatalities per GWh.”

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-06-farms-bird-slayers-theyre-behere.html#jCp

"Either way, the results show that even with high-range estimates for renewables compared to low-range estimates for fossil fuels, fossil fuels are responsible for far more bird fatalities than solar or wind.”  https://thinkprogress.org/chart-how-many-birds-are-killed-by-wind-solar-oil-and-coal-230d2a939bbb/

Copy and Paste liberal BS.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2018, 05:37 PM »

Read, cross-referenced, noted and explored references and actual studies, THEN quoted definitive passages which are copied and pasted here. I don’t know your attention span, Rusty. While it seems limited, you might try to do your homework before posting shallow derisive remarks on a sincerely intended thread. Read the articles.There are many with vetted and proven studies. They all come up with the same result. The only thing most mention is the variety of protocol and data used to compile a resultative picture.  Explore data on your own, if you are capable of cognizance.  ;D

I’m guessing you don’t have the patience to learn anything. I know there are big words and phrases here. Probably make you a little dizzy.... more than you usually are.  :roflmao:

Be well, old boy.  ;D :thumbsup: :icefish:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2018, 05:01 AM »

"Maine state and federal lawmakers have passed resolutions calling on Trump to leave Maine out of his plan.

“So much of our state’s economy and tens of thousands of Maine jobs along our coast depend on our marine and tourism industries,” said Republican U.S. Rep. Bruce Poliquin.”

http://bangordailynews.com/2018/03/04/news/state/fishermen-environmentalists-to-blast-offshore-drilling-plan/

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2018, 05:24 AM »
No one says they'll be drilling off the coast... this only releases the handcuffs past liberal administrations put this country in! Something President Trump promised to the people. It will be the states rights to allow or deny any potential drilling. The liberals in denial of their loss in 2016 need to get in control of their obviously mental breakdown. I don't need them to tell me what's best for me!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2018, 06:53 AM »
There was a show on PBS of a Japanese vet who is trying to save their eagle population. He said that during the life span of a windmill it will be responsible for an estimated 50 deaths of the eagles let alone other birds. It's funny what is allowable when you support a cause. Almost like when politicians are against guns but have armed bodyguards. China is starting to map the oceans for raw materials. 
Steve

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2018, 07:17 AM »
I have a very serious question here....

What the Hell does this have to do with Ice Fishing??   ;D

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2018, 07:24 AM »
There was a show on PBS of a Japanese vet who is trying to save their eagle population. He said that during the life span of a windmill it will be responsible for an estimated 50 deaths of the eagles let alone other birds. It's funny what is allowable when you support a cause. Almost like when politicians are against guns but have armed bodyguards. China is starting to map the oceans for raw materials.

It is funny what yo are blind to when you support an ideology. Science and data come first to mind. It is also funny how ideology can blind one to the reality we live in for the sake of the few at the top $ land. :)

"China is starting to map the oceans for raw materials.” Yep as anthropogenic climate change open up vast areas previously icebound. Even our military recognizes this as the right wing denies facts on the ground...... AND as we enter another year of record planetary temps.... :woot: :whistle: :cookoo: :icefish:

Given improved wind and solar tech over the years and going forward, bird kills were, are and shall be overwhelmingly less in net bird deaths than other power generating and antiquated “technologies” .

As I posted above: Had to look.... So, Given your logic, it would appear that, from a natural progression of cognition, you ar enow a wind power over solar supporter, at least for the avian component.  ;D

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2018, 09:48 AM »
Wind towers I have been up in a wind tower and the blades are so long they seem to travel at a slow rate. I find it hard to believe birds get hit . I would like to compare numbers of birds kill by motor vehicles , as to numbers killed by windmills!!!!!!!!!!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2018, 02:34 PM »
It was on PBS, one of the most liberal station in America. You can find it easily on line. China is mapping all the oceans not just that which is under the ice. There was a study done on which is the most value for the buck and more energy for less man hours. Guess what, wind power and solar power are last on the list of being efficient. Just like ice fishing opinions, some people like suckers and others like smelts while fishing for touge. 
Steve

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2018, 08:38 PM »
Hey Joe, It is funny what yo are blind to when you support an ideology. Hey Joe keep it up and our beautiful state will be a windfarm for the whole eastern seaboard WHUP WHUP WHUP.
"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2018, 05:28 AM »
It was on PBS, one of the most liberal station in America. 

Most unbiased and most factual. They put the effort in to make that so AND the more factual the less right wing a media outlet becomes form the rights perspective.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-biased-is-your-news-source-you-probably-wont-agree-with-this-chart-2018-02-28?mod=mw_share_facebook

;D ;) :icefish:

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2018, 05:37 AM »
Wind towers I have been up in a wind tower and the blades are so long they seem to travel at a slow rate. I find it hard to believe birds get hit . I would like to compare numbers of birds kill by motor vehicles , as to numbers killed by windmills!!!!!!!!!!

This whole bird thing is a BIG FAT RED HERRING that is bait for the hungry deniers. @)

Looked it up.... Typed cats to cars first.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/09/15/wind-turbines-kill-fewer-birds-than-cell-towers-cats/15683843/

Here you go.

http://www.sibleyguides.com/conservation/causes-of-bird-mortality/

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2018, 06:53 AM »
This whole bird thing is a BIG FAT RED HERRING that is bait for the hungry deniers. @)

Looked it up.... Typed cats to cars first.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/09/15/wind-turbines-kill-fewer-birds-than-cell-towers-cats/15683843/

Here you go.

(Image removed from quote.)

http://www.sibleyguides.com/conservation/causes-of-bird-mortality/

Tilted scale !!  68 million feral cats in us . 268.8 million cars registered in 2016 .    52000 wildmills .   Now wonder the relatively  small number of windmills kill less. 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2018, 08:28 AM »
Tilted scale !!  68 million feral cats in us . 268.8 million cars registered in 2016 .    52000 wildmills .   Now wonder the relatively  small number of windmills kill less.

I know a lot of guys advocate hunting coyotes because they kill deer. It appears, in that vain of thought or logic, feral cats need a good culling open season. At least coyotes are native species. HAHA! Dear GB, I don’t disagree wind turbines kill birds. Didn’t realize they killed bats too. Apparently some bat species are attracted to them.  In any case, bird deaths from windmills pale to near invisibiilty to the many other causes. Meanwhile the wind industry has made major improvements in avian mortality rates since the beginning of the technology. This progress will continue. Mortality will remain unabated in the other cases. That being said, even ten times the existing wind turbines now in place would still be no were near the deaths caused just by cats. At the same time as we generate more power form renewable energy sources the environment will be more friendly to all creatures and habitats which will in turn be good for fishing.  ;D ;) :icefish:

"Vertical axis wind turbines (VAWT) are thought to not only improve wind energy harvested per square meter but also reduce bird deaths by reducing the special impact of the turbines on bird habitats. They also have blades that are located closer together and travel at the same linear and angular velocities, making every blade section more similarly apparent for birds to see. By better understanding how and what birds in flight can see visually, this project can create specific turbine design rules for maximizing avian turbine visual awareness and collision avoidance.”
https://woods.stanford.edu/research/realizing-environmental-innovation-program/bird-safe-wind-turbines

Work being done..... https://grist.org/climate-energy/for-the-birds-and-the-bats-8-ways-wind-power-companies-are-trying-to-prevent-deadly-collisions/

"The estimate, and conclusions, don’t let wind turbines off the hook. And with recent rulings to try and protect certain species from the spinning blades, the scrutiny will probably continue when it comes to bird deaths due to wind power. But at least now there’s a scientifically derived number for those deaths.
Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-many-birds-do-wind-turbines-really-kill-180948154/#DLdJ3uol2jUIMguD.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2018, 09:59 AM »
clamfarmer  Thanks for the chart and good links. I sure plan to pass them around. A good day sitting here jigging                inside with my coffee cup  only snow around here is everywhere!!!!!!! Probably get out on tractor in another hour.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2018, 10:30 AM »
Don’t birds of prey (eagles) look down at the ground for prey when they are cruising up high in the sky? I thought this was the reasoning for turbines killing a lot more birds of prey then say a sparrow or chickadee?

The chart provided is very broad, and not particular to one kind of bird. A lot of ground nesting birds get whacked by cats. I was told this is the reason the whiporwhil, among other species, is no longer prevelant in the seacoast of NH. Urban sprawl led to more homes and more cats, and less ground nesting birds.

I will try to find the articles I had read in the past about birds of prey being much more succeptible to wind farms than other birds. The stuff I had read was from about ten years ago when I lived in Washington state, and may have been proven to be wrong or may have just been political propaganda.  Anyone else heard of this?

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2018, 10:50 AM »
Oh bats to . Wow I didn't even think of bats . Good point and few less cats wouldn't hurt my feelings any .

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 09, 2018, 06:38 AM »
Samset: Yes, it turns out we have actually been helping ourselves — we’ve been polluting ourselves toward a slightly cooler climate, we’ve been mitigating climate change through pollution.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #27 on: Mar 09, 2018, 06:43 AM »
HERE’S SOMETHING!

Windmills can help remove dams! More Solar power too!

"Dam-building for electrical generation and water storage from the 1930s blocked winter-run Chinook from upstream waterways, cutting their numbers from nearly a million to a few thousand barely getting by in warm downstream stretches of the Sacramento River, the state Department of Fish and Wildlife says.”

https://www.sfgate.com/news/science/article/California-salmon-will-have-places-to-chill-with-12739482.php

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #28 on: Mar 10, 2018, 05:47 AM »
Check this one out!!

Stream turbine

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 10, 2018, 06:36 AM »
Check this one out!!

Stream turbine

Quite a gimmick... makes you feel all tingly inside but its practicality is useless! I'm sure there are other energy sources that could change the world, but  would mean independence from providers. Resulting in mass unemployment.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.