Author Topic: Flies For Trout  (Read 5642 times)

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
Flies For Trout
« on: Nov 08, 2019, 11:46 AM »
This is purely a curiosity question, as I'm sure I'll try it sometime anyway.....

Has anyone tried using "Wooly Worms/Buggers" under the ice for trout ??

I've used them often in the summer & have caught some nice size fish with darker colors like black/dark green/green. I've tried green sinking nymphs & some leech patterns under the ice before with some luck, but was just wanting to hear about anyone's experience with the "Wooly's". - Thanks !!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Flies For Trout
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2019, 12:24 PM »
I’ve had good success with little leech pattern I tied with squirrel strip instead of rabbit. I put a big tungsten bead on it so it works as a jig or to cast. Biggest problem I have with any flies for ice fishing is the fur or feathers freeze while I’m moving from hole to hole.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2019, 12:39 PM »
I've used wooly buggers for ice fishing, even tied some 1/8 th oz jigs with them for ice fishing, Marabou jigs also work well.

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2019, 12:25 PM »
A balanced leech can be a killer under the ice, since they sink horizontal! Not necessarily a bugger, but I count em in the same family.
I've been working on a balanced minnow fly that I'm gonna try this winter, but maybe I'll whip up some balanced buggers as well and let you know how they fish.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2019, 03:35 PM »
Oh, also, try something that mimicsor resembles water boatman/back swimmers, the trout I catch are full of them and snails. I caught one on a rubber legged pattern I tied. 

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2019, 11:56 PM »
Some interesting replies.....Thanks everyone !!

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2019, 12:28 AM »
I have used a floating leech, rigged lindy rig style, some success but not great.

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2019, 11:21 AM »
Hit the vise last night! It'll probably be 3 weeks before I can get on the ice (lots of travel coming up), but I'll be sure to let you know how they fish.
Balanced bugger:

Jiggy Bugger

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2019, 09:14 PM »
Wow.....Those are sweet phishmonger.....Can't wait to hear how they work !!

Since you have lots of traveling coming up, swing up this way & we'll try em' this weekend.....LOL !!

Offline phishmonger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2019, 09:33 PM »
Wow.....Those are sweet phishmonger.....Can't wait to hear how they work !!

Since you have lots of traveling coming up, swing up this way & we'll try em' this weekend.....LOL !!
That's a long swing in the wrong direction, lol! If the weather holds maybe I'll float them under an indicator for some Nebraska panfish.

Offline Gavins1800

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2019, 03:28 PM »
I used to put nymphs above my jigs on a dropper loop and I had pretty food luck.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2019, 04:32 PM »
On slow days, i drop everything in my tackle box down the hole. Ive had some success on woolies, but i typically end up jigging streamers which have produced.  But as stated above, they tend to freeze and on really cold days they dont thaw effectively enough in the water that their action is compromised. But i havent had any woolies freeze on me in the limited time I used them on the ice
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2022, 02:15 PM »
Having good luck with a micro leech (#12)this year. Nothing on the balanced leech so far this year so going to try some chironomids next time out. Smaller seems to be the ticket out there so far this year.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2022, 02:54 PM »
Not for trout, but for panfish.  I tie these up for retail and for personal:

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2022, 02:54 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com