Author Topic: ice fishing boots  (Read 24193 times)

Offline Iceaddict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
ice fishing boots
« on: Jan 17, 2004, 07:01 PM »
i'm looking for a good pair of ice fishing boots.does anybody know where i can get them,any websites on internet? thanks.

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You got to Hook-um!  To Cook-um!
Re: ice fishing boots
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2004, 05:53 PM »
Try looking at Lacrosse Boots. I have the Ice Man series but the Ice King boots are good boots too. I know that the Mickey Mouse boots are a favorite for many ice anglers. When looking for Mickey Mouse boots be careful I hear there are many imitations out there. I love my boots I would say to you this if you get a pair of Non-Mickey Mouse boots. Get them a full size bigger then you need to help with your feet sweating.
Good luck... :'( Morrocco Mole
Keep 1 pole in the hole....  <;*)}}}}}}}}}}}>&lt;

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2004, 08:19 PM »
I too like Lacrosse. A few years ago I bought a pair of Lacrosse Burly boots with 1200 grams of Thinsulate for a Sika Hunting trip on the Eastern Shore. These boots are the rubber style (mine are in Real Tree Hardwoods for hunting) The terrain there is very swampy. Anyways, I decided to use them for ice fishing early in the season. Well the boots keep my feet so warm and dry that I ended up using it the entire ice season, and never got cold feet once! The nice part about them is that they go up pretty high on the legs, so when you get the wet slop ont top of the ice, your feet stay dry. I also have a pair of Sorels, which I use for snow, but the Lacrosse have done such a good job, that I never broke them out for ice fishing. The Lacrosse Burlys can be found at places like Bass Pro shops, Cabelas, and Galyans (I bought mine at Galyans in Gaithersburg) The more grams of thinsulate the warmer your feet will be. I also used them for Spring Turkey hunting and my feet did not overheat! A good overall boot in my opinion.

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2004, 02:55 PM »
Check these out........It's funny because I've been looking on-line lately myself. And the price really isn't that bad.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=101409
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2004, 05:22 PM »
Cabelas Trans Alaska Iditerod boots....once you use them, you'll never go back to ordinary boots.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2004, 05:40 PM »
RG those sure do look nice!! I got a pair of lacrosse something or others,they are very warm and dry, but they are as heavy as a bucket of tipups!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2004, 07:26 PM »
You betcha! ;D
If they're good enough for Jeff King to use while winning 3 Iditerod races...They're proven enough for me.

At only 4.5 lb they're light too.

This year I have my eye on the Trans Alaska Suit...nice!
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2004, 08:57 AM »
Yeah, but what do they cost?? $200???
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2004, 12:10 PM »
I'll keep my $40 mickey's.....I've had one pair over 15 years and they are still going strong. I just got a second pair last year for deer hunting in the late season.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2004, 09:53 PM »

RG's boots run about $170 and the Predator Extreme's are only about $140 and are "built to last".  To me that's a small price to pay after spending over $500 on a vexilar, $300 on a power auger, $250 on shanty, $300 on an aquaview and god only knows how much on jigs, rods, and peripherals you get the idea.  What I mean is spending $150 on boots to keep my feet warm for the next ten seasons is a small price to pay compared to what we spend on the rest of the stuff used for fishing. 

Sounds like the predator extreme's are good boots slipbob. How good are they for walking and do they come in extra-wide sizes?
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2004, 11:48 PM »
I have a pair of LaCrosse Red ball boots. They are rated for about -60 below. With good socks, they kept my feet warm and dry all winter. My fishing companions would complain of cold feet, and then I would tell them my feet felt great, and they didn't believe me.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 2004, 06:57 AM »
No they aren't cheap...that's the point. You cannot beat Cabelas guaranty and these boots are rated for -135.

Everyone's different. Some of my friends never get cold feet and have next to nothing for boots. Heck Scott said he fishes in tennis shoes ::) .

It's a matter of how you react to the cold. I've had Ice Kings, Sorel Carabou's and Micky's...none kept my feet warm. I used a 3 layer sock system with a silver sock liner, polypro next and a high loft wool boot sock until I got these boots...Now I can slip into them in street socks if I like and my feet are warm and dry even when slogging around in 12" of slush all day.

Try this...take a calculator with you and next time the ice fishing is slow start adding up just what you have with you for that day's fishing right down to your underwear...these boots aren't that expensive and I'll spare no expense for warm feet on the ice. It makes or breaks the day.

RG

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 01, 2004, 08:41 PM »
Everyone's different. Some of my friends never get cold feet and have next to nothing for boots.

I used to be the same way until my last trip of the year last year on a -30 degree day when it was all slushy and my boots leaked very badly! You may think your feet don't react to the cold but if this happens you will know otherwise.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Oct 02, 2004, 12:41 AM »

"Been there, Done that, ain't going back!"

Kinda ruins your day...don't it? >:(
RG

Griswold Pete

« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2004, 03:45 PM »
I've found that Muck Boot Company's Arctic Sport boots are great ice-fishing boots.  First, they are 100% waterproof. You could really stand in ice water all day and your feet will stay dry and warm.  They are insulted, but not heavy, only about 2.5 lbs. each.  They have flexible calf areas and are very comfortable. They are slip on boots, so you don't end up with ice on the laces.  A final feature, that hopefully won't be needed, is that they are bouyant! They float.  With good socks they live up to about -20 to -40 conditions. About $89.00 online at:www.muckbootsonline.co m

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2004, 09:42 PM »
im not saying those boots aent good, im sure they are if they are rated to -135... but i have very poor circulation in my feet due to a bad back. had three surgeries and got no better. i was one of those sh!t boot people until this back issue! then i found my mickeys on ebay for $45 bucks... yes they are a bit heavy, but im quite big so.... i love them, only wear reagular gym socks on not so bad days and a pair of wigwams on cold cold days! no cold feet here what so ever! make sure if you go hunting for a pair of mickey though, that you get the real ones with the valve on the side.(means nothing for us ice fishing really, just close it all the way) the fakes i guess dont have the valve, they just look alike and are no wheres near as warm!

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 19, 2004, 12:06 PM »
Just got my Cabela's Glacier Point boots in.  Rated to -100, a little on the bulky side, but I'd rather have warm dry feet instead of wet cold feet!  Has anyone had any experience with these boots, or are they new the market?

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2004, 10:26 PM »
My Lacrosse boots work just fine for me. Hunting or fishing since I got them 10 years ago and my feet never get cold. Different strokes for different folks.

Offline iwannabfishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2004, 12:34 AM »
 :D
I rely on Kamik. One pair Special Edition (Bob Izumi)4-5 years and insulated rubber boots (new) both rated for -70 degrees F (COLD!!!)also Bob Izumi. Very comfy and warm for those cold days.

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 2004, 08:41 PM »
I'll second the Kamiks rated to -70°.  They're light, a perfect fit, and best of all, warm.  Just bought a set of Icer ice cleats for them, so I'm all set for slick ice.  I also have a pair of heavy, steel toed rubber work boots with felt pack liners in them (good to about -30°) for those wet, not so cold days.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

TucciProShop

« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2004, 09:10 PM »
here is a site i came across where you can order them online.  I have had Lacrosse Ice mans for 15 years and I am finally on my second pair.  Never found a brand of boots that kept my feet warmer.  :tipup:

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=8497&tabID=

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2004, 09:10 PM »
Are those sheetmetal screws in the Iditarods ???  When I was a kid we used to put sheetmetal screws in the knobs on the bike tires to ride on the lake.  Has anyone tried this on their boots?

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #22 on: Nov 11, 2004, 01:43 PM »
slipbob, ill give ya some of my "insulation" lol

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #23 on: Nov 11, 2004, 03:12 PM »
    Has anyone tried this on their boots?
  Yes studded my Sorels with sheetmetal screws they work great.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 11, 2004, 03:47 PM »
I am a Lacrosse Ice King fan. I am finally buying a new set of liners for them. They are the best boot for the money.

You can usually find them for between $80 and $90. For a boot rated down to 150°F.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #25 on: Nov 16, 2004, 04:19 PM »
LaCrosse Ice Kings are great boots, also no one mention Rocky SnowStalker Extremes, these are great boots also, once they are broke in.  Best bet is to look on Ebay no mater what brand you are considering.  I got my SnowStalker Extremes for $65.00 on ebay. 

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 17, 2004, 08:14 PM »
What are your guys' thoughts on removable and non removable soles?

If your soles are non removable, what do you use to dry them? (excluding "baking" the boot)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2004, 04:14 AM »
Bear,
Buy a PEET boot dryer. Look for them at Cabelas. I have one and it dries my boots in a few hours with no fear of damage. GOOD STUFF!  :clap:
RG

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2004, 08:35 PM »
I have used the foil covered felt packs in my Sorel's.  Change them out daily, and you will find you feet warm, dry, and time for a "double" while you are waiting for them to dry!!!

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 21, 2004, 08:37 PM »
Anyone see the new Rocky Icestalkers?
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.