Author Topic: Bad Experience  (Read 4642 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Bad Experience
« on: Jan 04, 2004, 09:42 PM »
One time I went icefishing, and i was all dressed up, and I went up to the lake with tennis shoes on like always. ( I put boots on when I get to the lake ) But I forgot my boots. I had to fish all day in tennies and when I got back home, I couldn't feel my feet for a week  :-[
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
Re:Bad Experience
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2004, 08:00 AM »
You want to be careful bear. I forgot my gloves on a trip a LONG time ago and went out anyway. Frostbit three fingers on my hand. That was over thirty years ago and those fingers still bother me when they get cold, better to miss a day on the ice than lose your fingers or toes.
FTD

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2004, 09:39 AM »
I like having my finger and toes.

I carry a pair of the yellow rubber boots in my vehicle just for situations just like that. You can pick them up at a construction supply store for a pretty decent price. Just make sure you try a pair on and they slip over your tennis shoes. They worked alright for the cold weather but I wouldn't wear them for an extended period of time, like 8-10 hours.Nothing like forgetting your boots at the house.

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2004, 10:05 AM »
bad habit changed this morning--i drive 25 miles to work and 20 to the shanty--if i've been out the day before fishing, i pop my canoe shoes on--boy is that stupid of me!!! got up this morning and its -35c and a 15mph wind--windchill is -49c  >:( >:( put my winter suit in the truck today. if i broke down and had to walk, i would be doomed. its not worth losing fingers, toes or your life. take care everyone

acsacmboy

« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2004, 08:10 PM »
the thing is that i am young. i bring gloves, yet dont wear them. if my hands are cold, stick them in a pocket. its just me though. my dad calls me nuts. the no gloves work great for when alot of fish are being caught, more moving around. i can put my hand in the water, take them out let ti freeze and put them back in to get more water. once i had about an inch of ice on my thumb. didnt really effect me. its just the adjustment to my hands being warm from frozen is painful but i can get over it.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2004, 01:49 PM »
Hi Gang!
  I bet kid looks real cute in tose gawdy ol yellow golishes when he forgets his regular boots.. Just having those boots would be enough to remind me about my good boots LOL.  Can we spell dorky kid?
  Da-Roc

Basshuntah

Re: Bad Experience
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2005, 02:50 PM »
DANG ;D

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2005, 05:04 PM »
I like having my finger and toes.

I carry a pair of the yellow rubber boots in my vehicle just for situations just like that. You can pick them up at a construction supply store for a pretty decent price. Just make sure you try a pair on and they slip over your tennis shoes. They worked alright for the cold weather but I wouldn't wear them for an extended period of time, like 8-10 hours.Nothing like forgetting your boots at the house.
Maybe if he carried a patch kit,and an alarm clock,,might not ever break down....lol

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
Re: Bad Experience
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2005, 05:12 PM »
On a recent trip to Sag Bay. ws riding out on the 3-wheeler about 6 miles out went to stop for a pressure crack,(damn I should pay more attention sometimes forgot about the sled I was pullin)weeelll, managed to watch the sled come around rope wrapped around the axle couple quick times,,lol,,watched sled flip over,,,,all my "sitting gear" was int here gloves,hat,,oh ya and MINNOW BUCKET..everything got wet, made for a MISERABLE cold sit,hard to fish in THICK riding gloves and a helmet.
 That stuff stays tucked in my bibs now anyway, Stuff has a way of getting COOOOLD riding around on the sled for several miles.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.