Author Topic: Conditions and info  (Read 1456 times)

Offline gypsy

• IceShanty Rookie
Conditions and info
« on: Feb 21, 2018, 11:40 AM »
I would like to try Merritt Reservoir and or the Valentine Refuge this week.  Have never fished in Nebraska, but live just over the border in SD.  Can someone tell me the conditions now and any advice.  we do have an ATV we can use if possible to get around.
Thanks

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Conditions and info
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2018, 12:22 PM »
I would like to try Merritt Reservoir and or the Valentine Refuge this week.  Have never fished in Nebraska, but live just over the border in SD.  Can someone tell me the conditions now and any advice.  we do have an ATV we can use if possible to get around.
Thanks

It has been a week since I was in those parts, but I see it was darned cold there again the past few days.  You will be able to get on the ice.  ATV's can be used on Merritt and I am sure there will be some folks using them; as always be careful as there can be some pressure ridges and open spots.

No ATV's allowed on the Valentine Refuge.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline gypsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Thanks
Appreciate it.

Offline jstruck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:54 PM »
Was on Merritt Saturday and a lot of ATVs on the lake, I don't think it would've changed much since, as temps cooled below freezing early Sunday afternoon.

Offline fishngolf

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The bigger the teeth, the better it gets!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2018, 09:01 PM »
I fished the refuge on Sunday and the ice was a solid 12" to 15" depending on the lake. We haven't been above freezing since and this is Wednesday evening so the ice should have only improved since then. We did receive a few inches of new snow since then but it may have drifted some of it off by now. The ice was clear of snow Sunday. Merritt should be about the same.

Offline hoot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2018, 07:56 AM »
Fished Merritt Sat.  18" of good ice on Beeds. Bite was slow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.