Author Topic: "The Coooooler" New Ice Shack Build  (Read 3009 times)

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
"The Coooooler" New Ice Shack Build
« on: Oct 21, 2011, 06:45 AM »
I was gifted a 6x10' walk-in cooler to build an ice shack out of. I am going to design and build the drop axle trailer for it with the help of a few friends more skilled in welding than I am. I have read many threads about builds already. It will have a V-front to make it easier to tow. Ordered the catch covers this morning. The walls are 4 inches thick so it should stay pretty warm.

Has anyone ever tried using a chimney for a mr. heater to try and cut down on the moisture they produce?

I am in the material gathering phase of the build. I am going to use 3/16" 2x3 steel for the frame. Build is scheduled to start Nov. 12th. I will post pictures when it is started.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: "The Coooooler" New Ice Shack Build
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2011, 07:10 AM »
Sounds like you got a helluva neat project there. Sounds like you got a good plan

surflizard

« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2011, 07:53 AM »
Good idea for a shanty, gotta love the price !  ;D  I've never had a condesation issue with my heater as long as I had a Vent up high in the shack.

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2011, 08:57 AM »
Have you looked into a small direct vent? I would install an Empire DV-210. I used to be a propane company salesman and we woould replace these with more efficent units regulary. Even if it needed parts the units are real basic "cheap". The one thing to look out for on a used unit is the heat exchanger. Most comon spot they burn through is near the viewing window. If they are run for periods of time without a tight gasket around the view window you create a lean fuel mixture. The little tourch area will burn a hole through the heat exchanger near the air leak.

Heater puts out 10,000 BTU
Empire DV-215 is 15,000 BTU
either one off Craigslist would work out in your shanty
Neither one requires electricity and can be run off a milliamp thermostat as opposed to the 1-5 dial built into the unit.

Offline androwildfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2011, 09:17 AM »
Great score can't wait to see the pics

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2011, 01:53 PM »
Wow you could not ask for a better insulated shack, hope it turns out to be a nice walk in heater for ya.
Blake from Elbow

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2011, 05:48 PM »
As mentioned earlier, check into a direct vent heater or even a propane vented (like Nuway) heater something designed for a stack from the get-go.

Post lots of pics please.

JMHO,
MD

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2011, 08:47 PM »
Do any of you guys know if anyone gets there shack to the lake and takes the axle off instead of a drop down? I am looking into different trailer designs and since I fish mostly one lake it seems like a good option. it would have some sort of ski configuration when the wheels are gone. The cooler is also going to be used at Hodag Fest as a camper so having the sturdy "permanent" axle would help me get it there and back. what do you guys think?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2011, 09:37 AM »
There are guys around here that build their shacks with a frame built around the outside of it which has the wheels attached to it. They pull a couple of pins up front and raise the hitch in the air which lowers the shack to the ice. To raise it they push the hitch back down, pin it and hook it to their truck hitch.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2011, 06:36 AM »
Update! Kicking around craigslist I found a 6x10 pop up camper frame that someone had turned into a flatbed trailer. $225 is cheaper than the steel would have been to build my own. It is decent shape, needs a once over and new decking. Will do all the regular bearing maintenance and it should be ready to modify. I am thinking with the axle narrower than the frame I will just pull the pins on the shackle mounts and slide the axle out the back then lower it down onto runners.  November 12th is the build weekend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.