Author Topic: Spring bobbers  (Read 639 times)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Spring bobbers
« on: Jan 14, 2024, 08:50 PM »
Hi folks,

I hadn't tried spring bobbers until last year. Some of the small lakers we get tend to be light biters. I tried a spring bobber but the characteristic that lets me detect a light bite tend to prevent me from making a good hookset. Am I missing something here? TIA
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Spring bobbers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2024, 09:42 PM »
Can't offer advice on Lakers, as I predominantly go for panfish. Basically I treat it like a foam bobber, as soon as I see any action, I ready it.for a hook set, and just hope I'm more ready than the fish is/was.

Only thing I can think is A) change your sensitivity and be more on guard, or b) change your hook and hope that it helps take care of itself.

Not much help, I know. Sorry. Wish I was having the option of getting into Lakers and we could help solve this one together. Since I can't, I'd say look more into option B first, be positive you're using the best possible hook. Will definitely help avoid the easier misses.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2024, 10:52 PM »
Not sure how you are using your spring bobber system. Mine is an up movement and not a down movement. My bait system has enough weight on it to put a slight curl in the spring, when the fish takes the bait and takes the weight off of the spring tip is when I set the hook. Seldom does the bobber get pulled down for me since the fish is coming up from the lower part of the water column and not down from the higher. To me, it is more visual than a tension pull downwards. That said bobber down also happens but on a light bite I see more bobber up.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2024, 03:16 PM »
When you detect a bite visually from the spring bobber , up or down , strike like you normally would without a spring bobber. It will just bend out of the way. I adjust mine so it’s about at at 20 degree downward bend when rod is horizontal. You have to adjust it depending on weight of lure or jig

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2024, 07:19 AM »
Thx for your comments. My thinking is that while the spring bobber is bending it's pulling the bait from the fish's mouth. I guess if I made a really quick snap to set the hook it would not matter much.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.