Author Topic: Omaha Report  (Read 9331 times)

C_TRITZ

Omaha Report
« on: Dec 03, 2007, 04:30 PM »
Anyone gone out to check what we got yet? I saw the golf course pond by my house was froze but i havent gone out to any lakes to see if they are froze yet.  I am so amped to get out there!!!  The weather hasnt really been in our favor though, oh well the ice will come,  good things come to those who wait...hopefully

Offline benson78

• IceShanty Rookie
  • never surrender
Re: Omaha Report
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2007, 12:27 AM »
I don't know if I can wait much longer. Every year we go to the brainerd tournament in MN.  Now I have so much money invested in ice fishing and want to go more now and seems like we have to wait so long.  My brother lives in ND and has already been out I don't mind traveling but thats just to far for the weekend.

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I got a fever and the only cure is more ice fishn!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2007, 12:38 AM »
It's nice to see some more members in the Omaha area. I'll see ya on the ice!!
Chad

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2007, 11:25 AM »
Not up to date, but last Thurs I checked the coves at Zorinsky and they were about half open due to the wind.  Main lake wide open.  Found a shelter shallow pond (also in Omaha) that had about 3/4 of an inch.  I will probably check them both again tonight and will post what I find, but its going to push 50 on the temp today.  I was gone this weekend, so not sure what Omaha had for weather to help/hurt the ice.  Anyway, will post what I see tomorrow. 

Adam

Offline jig4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2007, 06:51 PM »
Fremont Lakes #7 & #8 have an average of 3-4 inches if good ice on them! Most of the others out in the open only have around an inch or so! Caught alot of nice crappie near the deepwater structure along the south bank there last year in the mornings and evenings!

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2007, 11:23 AM »
Fremont Lakes #7 & #8 have an average of 3-4 inches if good ice on them! Most of the others out in the open only have around an inch or so! Caught alot of nice crappie near the deepwater structure along the south bank there last year in the mornings and evenings!

Thanks for the report, I think I might have to try and take my 10 year old boy out this weekend. I'll probably go somewhere on Sunday. Anybody interested in going or have some suggestions?  :tipup:
Chad

Offline walleye4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice, BABY!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2007, 11:53 AM »
You know I'd go Chad if I didn't live so far away and my sons b-day party this weekend.

OH NO, I have Jig-a-nitis!  Very deadly disease!!!

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2007, 12:22 PM »
I know you would go Greg. Let me know when the ice is safe in your area. We'll have to give Sherman a try this winter.

Offline walleye4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice, BABY!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2007, 12:26 PM »
I'll do!!!!!!!!!! :tipup:

Might do the open water thing again this weekend if the roads aren't bad.

OH NO, I have Jig-a-nitis!  Very deadly disease!!!

Offline icelover

• IceShanty Rookie
  • mmm... good eats
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2007, 04:14 PM »
Anyone gone out to check what we got yet? I saw the golf course pond by my house was froze but i havent gone out to any lakes to see if they are froze yet.  I am so amped to get out there!!!  The weather hasnt really been in our favor though, oh well the ice will come,  good things come to those who wait...hopefully

i looked at zorinsky a few days ago and only the cove off the 168th st. bridge had some ice.  >:( but i imagine after this next week of lows in the single digits we should see some safe ice on the rest of omaha and lincoln area lakes. keep ypur fingers crossed and your gear ready!! ;D

Offline jig4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2007, 06:52 AM »
Might not be a bad deal, open water means no snow on the ice slowing down the freeze!

C_TRITZ

« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2007, 01:27 PM »
i checked out standing bear, there was about an inch or so by the boat ramp, any word on safe ice anywhere?

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:22 AM »
I drilled a couple holes off the fishing dock on Wehrspahn Lake on Friday.  There was a little more than an inch or so.  With this cold weather, perhaps we'll be on the ice by this weekend. :unsure:

Offline icelover

• IceShanty Rookie
  • mmm... good eats
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2007, 02:13 PM »
for sure kodiak :o
it looks as though the weather is going our way
and early in the year too!!! ;D ;D

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2007, 04:05 PM »
SAT 9AM

North Lake Zorinsky had about 2 1/4 inches, some (beach) of the main lake still had open water, but not much left. 

Offline icelover

• IceShanty Rookie
  • mmm... good eats
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2007, 04:26 PM »
SAT 9AM

North Lake Zorinsky had about 2 1/4 inches, some (beach) of the main lake still had open water, but not much left. 
so.... you think by this weekend, depending how much rain/ ice we get in this storm it should have at least a safe 3-4 inches? cuz this itch i have can't be itched much longer. i have all my gear ready, i set up my hut in the basement lastnight to check for any holes, and have found "0"!! so i am only needing to get some propane for heater. my vex is charged and ready to go as well.
hope to see you out there sometime, maybe we can hook up and do some fishing together.

Offline deadduk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2007, 09:27 AM »
I drove by Wherspan yesterday and there was a guy in a Clam out in the middle....Nuts if you ask me!  I'm heading to Spirit Lake, Ia on Friday afternoon.  Good Luck

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2007, 11:15 AM »
Man that is crazy.  With all the snow on most of that lake, I can't imagine how the ice would be safe enough to walk on let alone the extra weight of a clam & such.  Gonna check it out on thursday though.

Offline icelover

• IceShanty Rookie
  • mmm... good eats
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2007, 02:33 PM »
I am going to check Zorinsky this weekend on sunday. i am on a 2 week vacation after next week so guess who's going to be on Zorinsky....... ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D :o :o

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2007, 01:20 PM »
I will probably hit Wherspan this Sunday, but would maybe go Zorinsky this Sat night.  Have to paint a couple rooms with my dad Fri/Sat, and depending on when we get done I would like to get him on the ice. 

Anyone with any reports (on the ice, not fish) from those two lakes please post em here. 

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2007, 05:03 PM »
I'm planning on checking out Wehrspahn tomorrow.  I'll let you know what I find.

:tipup:

Offline frozen1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2007, 01:36 PM »
I took the auger and a tape measure to Zorinsky and Wehrspan today. First, I went on the south side of HWY 370 (above the silt dam) - The ice was 3-5 inches thick. My foot went through on the shoreline where there was a build up of snow. Then I went to the east side of Wehrspan where the handicap fishing dock is and the ice is around 5 inches. There was alot of evidence that there has been quite a bit of fishing going on there - many holes and shanty marks on the ice. Last, I went to Zorinsky on the south side near 168th street. I drilled numerous holes up to 100 yards out and they all were between 4 and 5 inches. There was one hole that had 3 inches with snow cover on top. Also, it looked like someone had a shanty set up on the ice last night. I have a birthday party to attend tomorrow until 3pm and I think I'm going to goto Zorinsky tomorrow night. Anybody want to join me?  :tipup:
Chad

Offline NE BASS MAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2007, 03:22 PM »
planning on heading over to some farm ponds in iowa this weekend, so I ran down to a little pond in good old south o (hitchcock park) and drilled a quick hole.  There was about 3inches of decent looking ice.  Hope it gets a little thicker an hour north of here.  Good luck guys!

Offline benson78

• IceShanty Rookie
  • never surrender
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2007, 08:29 PM »
Has anyone been out to walnut creek.

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2007, 09:53 PM »
Went to Wehrspahn Yesterday.  Tried around the west side of the lake where the old road bed was, the 1st bay just north of the Fishing dock and around the fishing dock.  Mostly 4 to 5 inches with the exception of one spot with about 3" near the fishing dock.

Offline icelover

• IceShanty Rookie
  • mmm... good eats
« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2007, 04:01 PM »
I took the auger and a tape measure to Zorinsky and Wehrspan today. First, I went on the south side of HWY 370 (above the silt dam) - The ice was 3-5 inches thick. My foot went through on the shoreline where there was a build up of snow. Then I went to the east side of Wehrspan where the handicap fishing dock is and the ice is around 5 inches. There was alot of evidence that there has been quite a bit of fishing going on there - many holes and shanty marks on the ice. Last, I went to Zorinsky on the south side near 168th street. I drilled numerous holes up to 100 yards out and they all were between 4 and 5 inches. There was one hole that had 3 inches with snow cover on top. Also, it looked like someone had a shanty set up on the ice last night. I have a birthday party to attend tomorrow until 3pm and I think I'm going to goto Zorinsky tomorrow night. Anybody want to join me?  :tipup:
Chad
Thanks for the info frozen1, i guess those news channels do NOT know what the h*ll they are talking about, because today on channel 6 they said at the current time there is no safe ice anywhere in the omaha and surrounding area lakes. hopefully i can get out this next weekend, waiting on a paycheck so i can afford to go.  ??? ???

Offline waterloofisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2007, 06:41 PM »
Went to Fremont Lakes 7&8, ice was good 3-5 inches thick.  Caught few slow biting crappie; all on minnow just off bottom.  Fished in middle and south side, couldn't keep the holes open was freezing so fast, guess it was cold out but never bothered me once I caught a few crappie.  Was just great getting to drill some holes and catch fish!  I've caught muskie there in summer; anyone ever taken any through the ice?  Any tips on how or where on lake to go; sounds like wicked fun to me!!  ICE FISHING HAS ARRIVED; and early for once this year!!  :laugh:

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2007, 09:35 AM »
I am going to check Zorinsky this weekend on sunday. i am on a 2 week vacation after next week so guess who's going to be on Zorinsky....... ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D :o :o

Did you get out there on Sun?  I was out from 10:30 - 6:30, but only a couple huts the entire day.  They didn't stay long either. 

Offline benson78

• IceShanty Rookie
  • never surrender
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2007, 09:41 PM »
Just to let you know that walnut creek has about 5" of ice around the shore and where the trees are its still open.  Today was the first day that I got out had to get the ice trap put together first.  Got skunked had some bites but still felt good.

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2007, 01:54 PM »
Fished another Omaha 'pond' Tues night and found six inches of ice, a dozen of 7-8 inch gills, and 2 crappie.  Was slow, drilled alot of holes, moved a bunch, and the bites were very light. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.