Author Topic: Yellow Perch  (Read 15497 times)

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Yellow Perch
« Reply #90 on: Feb 13, 2016, 06:48 AM »
great, professional reply....Kudos Mr. Bauer, keep on keeping on....there are people out there that do appreciate what state fish biologists do
  I will second this statement! Daryl doesn't need to sit on internet forums and offer tips, advice and info on our fish and fisheries here in Huskerville but he does it. and id be willing to be he knows a bit more on these subjects than most of us. ITS HIS JOB! now if he could figure out how to get rid of the silver carp from the Missouri river id be happy!!  and back to perch......

Offline Scotty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Feb 15, 2016, 09:28 AM »
We fished a very public and heavily fished Sandhills lake Sat and Sun. Dealing with a late start on Sat due to icy roads, and unsettled weather/barometer we managed to bring top side some very healthy, Yellow Perch, Bluegill, Crappie, LMB, and my Son lost a nice Walleye in the hole as well. We brought home a nice mess to eat and released a lot. My point is I would say that when you can catch that many species of quality fish in one lake in two days on a tough bite, the people responsible for managing that body of water are doing a damn good job in my opinion. Keep up the good work Daryl and Company!!!! hate to see ice season end ..... Come on November!!!!

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Feb 15, 2016, 04:46 PM »
  I will second this statement! Daryl doesn't need to sit on internet forums and offer tips, advice and info on our fish and fisheries here in Huskerville but he does it. and id be willing to be he knows a bit more on these subjects than most of us. ITS HIS JOB! now if he could figure out how to get rid of the silver carp from the Missouri river id be happy!!  and back to perch......

Ummm....yes he does.  Please see his job title on every one of his posts....

Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission

[email protected]

Outreach means surfing the net and selling Nebraska's fisheries. 

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #93 on: Feb 15, 2016, 05:27 PM »
Well hope your trails are so full of yellow perch that you can't hardly get down them!

Keep it safe until last year! JDL

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Feb 15, 2016, 05:41 PM »
Well hope your trails are so full of yellow perch that you can't hardly get down them!

Keep it safe until last year! JDL

Just for the record, I haven't caught a single yellow perch this year, nor have I eaten a single yellow perch in 2013-2016.  So, I can 'hardly get them down' cuz I haven't caught a single one in NE.

I did, however, just buy a non-resident license to fish in IA for the first time for 2016.  Looking forward to the opportunities that presents.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Feb 16, 2016, 02:30 PM »
Ummm....yes he does.  Please see his job title on every one of his posts....

Daryl Bauer

[email protected]

Outreach means surfing the net and selling Nebraska's fisheries.

It does now, it absolutely is one of my job duties. . . .

But, it did not start that way!  I saw a need, an opportunity, started doing something about it, and now it is my job!  I have some great bosses!

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline nebftbl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Feb 18, 2016, 01:08 PM »
Great info on the Yellow Perch. Thanks. One question... Instead of relying on the public for selective harvest why not adjust bag and possession limits? 

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Feb 18, 2016, 02:29 PM »
Great info on the Yellow Perch. Thanks. One question... Instead of relying on the public for selective harvest why not adjust bag and possession limits?

We do.  But understand that fisheries management involves work with the fish and other aquatic organisms, their habitat, and humans.  Oftentimes, the fish and habitat are the easy components to work with. ;)

Fishing regulations are always developed with some biology and some politics.  Anglers come in an infinite variety of shapes, sizes, ideas, and desires.  Nothing we do will satisfy everyone, and you better believe when folks do not like something we hear about it.  For fishing regulations to work, they must be accepted and complied with.

There is no doubt that angler attitudes and desires have changed a lot in the past 20+ years.  A lot of that change has been towards less "catch all you can, and can all you catch" and towards more catch & release and selective harvest.  Some of our regulations reflect those changes now, but I suspect there may be even more of that in the future.  I will keep encouraging changes in those attitudes.

One more thing to understand about fishing regulations:  Bag limits and possession limits do very little to reduce harvest unless those limits are set extremely low, "low" as in allowing only a couple, three panfish per day.  What bag and possession limits do is distribute the catch among anglers and over time.  You wouldn't want someone getting more than their "fair share".  In most fisheries the real way to reduce harvest, to structure fish populations is some type of length limit.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Feb 22, 2016, 06:40 AM »
You have to admit there are allot of grassy knolls to hide all the shooters oops I mean seines. Low water levels have nothing to do with fish.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Feb 22, 2016, 02:11 PM »
Ok Daryl you got your degree at South Dakota State so no bias there. Please tell me the reasons behind the cutting of all the trees on the refuge are they dredging the lakes there the piles of sand at the east end of Pelican,Hackberry,Clear. Why is there always a south Dakota fisheries truck up there even on Fry lake and blue? Don't they have lakes in South Dakota?

You will have to talk to the refuge folks about all the tree-cutting.

There has been some dredging to improve boat ramps.  Will be some more work on water flow and control structures in the future, and the fishing on the Valentine Refuge will be better because of it.

The research that South Dakota State did for us was done on sandhill lakes, not just refuge lakes.

Yes, they do have some very fine lakes in South Dakota, and also one of the best fisheries science programs in the country!

Daryl Bauer, proud alum of both the University of Nebraska and South Dakota State University

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline PhishOn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Feb 22, 2016, 03:21 PM »
I'm not an arborist. But I also noticed the tree claim that was cut, (thinned down) on the North West entrance. It wasn't clear cut, but it got a heck of a trim.. My guess is that they had disease otherwise they would of been left alone or clear cut it....
Hard as Ice!!

Offline PhishOn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Feb 22, 2016, 04:07 PM »
All right....  Here ya go Fish98...  I just called the VNWR headquarters and spoke with the manager regarding the trees and the aliens in SDSU trucks. Just for you...;) Here's the skinny.. The tree claim on the west end right before Duck and Rice was cut down or thinned out on the past managers request. He only wanted Pines in there and no cedars.. The cedars were mulched and used in another project with the NRD..  He said, " you will continue to see cedars, honey and black locust trees cut to stop there spread through the hills". As far as the South Dakota goes... They were doing research. And will probably always being research from what I could understand from him. I even accused him of selling our fish.. And wanted some answers.. He laughed so damn hard...

So... Do I agree with that nice tree strip being cut? No... Can I do anything about it?? No.  Do I believe SDSU is going to negatively affect the VNWR.. NO!!!!!

Have a good day.. P.S. he said most lakes have open water and would be accessible with waders for you northern and bass guys...
Hard as Ice!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.