Author Topic: Arctic Armor bibs floatability  (Read 4903 times)

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
Arctic Armor bibs floatability
« on: Nov 12, 2012, 12:35 PM »
I,m sorta dumb on a computer, so i,m asking if someone will help me. we,ve been discussing what happens if you only have on A.A. bibs, ,n, i,d like to get a firm answer for my own peace of mind, as i wear only bibs while pulling my sled, so not to sweat. how do i get ahold of them to see if they have checked this out, have any vids ,like the reporter one, or would answer my question. any ideas?

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Arctic Armor bibs floatability
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2012, 12:39 PM »
If your bottom half floats, and the top half doesnt, i cant imagine that going well.
Kinda the reasoning why life jackets go around you neck, and not your ankles.

Then again any flotations gotta be better than none, right?
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2012, 12:46 PM »
If you were unconscious you might have a problem.  Scuba divers, snorkelers, windsurfers, etc use bibs, or farmer johns all the time.  You're not gonna be floating with your feet in the air and you head 6 feet deep.
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2012, 12:48 PM »
I think it would be fine. The whole suit would be ideal but I understand not wearing the jacket out since its to warm.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2012, 12:53 PM »
as u are bobbing up and down upsidedown your keys, phone, and change all fall out of your pockets ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2012, 01:05 PM »
I guess I would ask IDI this question. They manufacture the suit and should know this.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2012, 01:20 PM »
ice dawg, this is what i want to do ,but don,t know how to get in touch on the computer. does anyone have their phone no.?

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2012, 01:28 PM »
Contact Us

Info or Questions:

Corporate address
223 North Main Street,
Pittsburgh, Pa 15215.

Warehouse address
124 Cherry Street,
Pittsburgh, Pa 15223

Email Us
[email protected]

Phone: 412-799-0350
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline ak-71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2012, 01:53 PM »
When I was a kid I remember my mom putting an overside jacket "for safety" during when I went swimming. Well, it does make you float upside down - I think it's way safer be drowning in an upright position.

Offline ak-71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2012, 01:54 PM »
When I was a kid I remember my mom putting an overside jacket "for safety" when I went swimming. Well, it does make you float upside down - I think it's way safer be drowning in an upright position.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2012, 02:13 PM »
I have heard you float alright with only the bibs, bit I wouldn't want to be the one to say it would be OK to do it and have someone drown due to what I said. The people who say this claim the bibs come high enough on your chest to float you level. I usually wear the parka without the bibs unless it is really cold.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2012, 02:19 PM »
Sorry guys.  Unless you are unconscious, you should be able to adjust your weight and get on top of the floatation.  Have you ever had a beach ball or basketball in the water?  You can sit on it and float.  If you just let yourself lie flat, your face might be in the water, but the floatation of the bibs isn't going to force your head underwater.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Trooper Bri

« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2012, 05:46 PM »
I'm real curious to IDI's official word on this as well.

You can put me in the skeptical column for now. Show me a vid and I'll get on the bus.
As previously stated, life preservers don't go around your ankles. Here in CT it's rarely cold (and windy) enough where I want to wear my Ice Armor jacket. If I ever decide I want flotation, I'm going to spend $100 on a good set of SOSpenders and keep wearing my IA.

In other parts where it gets and stays cold enough to need the jacket, ignore my comments. ;)

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2012, 07:57 PM »

If you brought this up a couple of weeks ago I would have gone in my sons pool & had them video it for you. Wait till next yr. & I'll have the answer, or maybe not, I'm going to Charleston,SC on the 28th of this month I'll take them w/me & try it in the hotel swimming pool. Can you wait for an answer till then?  :cookoo:

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2012, 08:16 PM »
I'd say strip down to a t-shirt on top and wear your jacket open, when you get to where you're going put the top wear back on.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2012, 10:19 PM »
I'm real curious to IDI's official word on this as well.

You can put me in the skeptical column for now. Show me a vid and I'll get on the bus.
As previously stated, life preservers don't go around your ankles. Here in CT it's rarely cold (and windy) enough where I want to wear my Ice Armor jacket. If I ever decide I want flotation, I'm going to spend $100 on a good set of SOSpenders and keep wearing my IA.

In other parts where it gets and stays cold enough to need the jacket, ignore my comments. ;)

The floatation of a pair of bibs isn't around your ankles.  It's around your mid section.  Again, how many of you have been snorkeling in a farmer john wet suit?  I have.  If you can't control your buoyancy while wearing bibs, you shouldn't be in water above your knees.
Fishrmn

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2012, 09:54 AM »
just got off phone with I.D.I. in Pittsburgh. on advise of legal dept. they cant make claims about just bibs, have not tested this because of endless combos of hoodies, base layers, jackets, etc., however, most floatation in suit is in bibs. 5 extra layers in seat and knees. since my butt is WAY bigger,n, my knees, i should float like in a pool chair., sittin up, legs straight out, but i don,t know. anyhow i suggested they enter someone in the annual POLARBEAR PLUNGE ,n, film it for f.b. he said no, but if one of us did, he,d like to see it. also assured me i,d NOT float head down, feet in air, like TITANIC just before plunge.i fully intend to pursue this ,til i know for sure what happens.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Get me a pair of the bibs.  I'll dive in the water head first.  I'll float up to the surface.  If I'm lying face down, I'll turn over to get my face out of the water.  Then I'll put my feet down and my knees down.  I'll float straight up if I choose to. 

Now I'll leave this thread and this conversation before I say something that would get me reprimanded by by the moderators.  If you can't control your buoyancy while you are conscious and wearing those bibs you should never be on water that is deeper than your knees.

If you really want a challenge, try being inverted in a dry suit.  You CAN become too buoyant to control your ascent, and it would take some time and effort to get the excess air out of the suit and get yourself upright.  But you don't float with your feet up and your head underwater.
Fishrmn

Offline physcofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2012, 01:15 PM »
On here they mention being able to float in just the bibs and have a picture of it being done.
http://www.korkys.com/store/p/988-Striker-Ice-Bibs-Floating-.aspx

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2012, 04:01 PM »

Iguess that says it all, unless the pic is photoshopped, I will still take mine on my trip & try to do it to show. 1 thing there is a disclaimer on the suits I've seen that they are not Coast Guard approved life saving devices. ???

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2012, 04:29 PM »
I don't think any if the floatations suits are coast guard approved except for the mustangs....

Trooper Bri

« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2012, 05:37 PM »
Get me a pair of the bibs.  I'll dive in the water head first.  I'll float up to the surface.  If I'm lying face down, I'll turn over to get my face out of the water.  Then I'll put my feet down and my knees down.  I'll float straight up if I choose to. 

Now I'll leave this thread and this conversation before I say something that would get me reprimanded by by the moderators.  If you can't control your buoyancy while you are conscious and wearing those bibs you should never be on water that is deeper than your knees.

If you really want a challenge, try being inverted in a dry suit.  You CAN become too buoyant to control your ascent, and it would take some time and effort to get the excess air out of the suit and get yourself upright.  But you don't float with your feet up and your head underwater.

Thank you for being arrogant, redundant, and demeaning. It's a refreshing change from rational conversation. Next time be a man and say what's on your mind instead of threatening us with it, and hiding behind an excuse. You can also send PM's. Perhaps you'll get the reply you're seeking. Or not...

I'm not bunking float suits in the least, just raising the stink-eye towards bibs only. And not the only one. ESPECIALLY (as pointed out) if you're not conscious, or unable to control your muscles due to being immersed in freezing water. If they work solo, that will eliminate the grey area people are concerned with. But it looks like we already got the answer. No guarantees.

Offline inHISgrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2012, 01:26 PM »
A word about floatability...... Someone who was been thought the ice two times it is not the floating or not floating that will save your life..... the cold is what's going to stop your body from working .  You have about 5 minutes before the hypothermia kicks in and the muscles begin to atrophy and you're not getting out........ the only difference between a floating suit in a non floating suit is where they'll find your body.  We see the pictures of people floating in their suits into a heated pool or in the summer that's all fine and a great that have the same people jump in the pool with a non floating  and you still float last time I checked people float they don't sink. I have seen the experiment where people have got into pools with both floating in non floating suits on in both will float for a while and then they both will sink. The first time I went through the ice I was in a pair of carhart bids and a long sleeve T shirt and some thinner insulated boots. We want ice fishing we were working building docks in the harbor. I was able to scramble out relatively quickly. The second time I went to the ice was in full ice fishing gear including parka and pants the key boots a whole 9 yards. The air trapped inside my clothing and the multiple layers that any good ice fishermen wears did give me quite a bit of flotation and buoyancy. As my buddies ran toward me  all they did was break more ice and put me in the water longer until I could break the ice to get to something solid. I'm not saying people should not buy flotation suits. I say don't be fooled the they will save your life .  First thing you have to do is get out of the water your flotation will not help you do that .  In fact the Experiments I have seen the flotation suits are heavier bulkier and make it more difficult to get out of the ice water. Do what makes you the most comfortable I'm just speaking from experience .  That's what I love about this website we can all its share our experiences in our thoughts are opinions.... just putting in my 2¢..  Hope everybody has a great safe and enjoyable ice fishing season
Cheers   
I LIKE FISHING BUT LIKE CATCHING EVEN MORE

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #23 on: Nov 14, 2012, 02:03 PM »
I will toss something in for Arctic Armor. I talked to a guy who went into the water at night and I didn't ask the reason. He said the Arctic Armor floated him level so he didn't have to kick to get level before crawling out onto the ice. He also said the stuff doesn't absorb water and it all drained out the bottom of the bib legs and bottom of the parka. He said it was warm since it didn't hold water and he walked to his pickup which was about a half mile away. As far as people asking why Arctic Armor isn't Coast Guard approved, we had a thread about this in the clothing section last winter. They have to hire someone to test the stuff and then ask the Coast Guard to approve it. The Coast Guard doesn't test the suit any more than the Navy does. Arctic Armor isn't being sold as a Personal Flotation Device, but rather as as a cold weather suit that will float a person. If ya want something Coast Guard approved buy a Mustang suit or another approved brand. I know if I fall though the ice it will be my responsibility to get myself out and not the responsibility of my Arctic Armor. If some help arrives great, but I won't be depending on it. 

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 14, 2012, 07:46 PM »
I think another big advantage of a float suit is that it would reduce the chances of going under and taking that big gasp of air only to suck in icy water.  My understanding is that that is nearly a kiss of death.

Offline pikemaster1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 14, 2012, 08:05 PM »
if the ice is thin i just wear a PFD

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Nov 14, 2012, 08:31 PM »
if the ice is thin i just wear a PFD
if the ice is thin.    I'd stay off of it
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #27 on: Nov 15, 2012, 09:46 PM »
if the ice is thin.    I'd stay off of it
Now that's good advice no matter who you are.  ;D

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 15, 2012, 09:56 PM »
I will toss something in for Arctic Armor. I talked to a guy who went into the water at night and I didn't ask the reason. He said the Arctic Armor floated him level so he didn't have to kick to get level before crawling out onto the ice. He also said the stuff doesn't absorb water and it all drained out the bottom of the bib legs and bottom of the parka. He said it was warm since it didn't hold water and he walked to his pickup which was about a half mile away. As far as people asking why Arctic Armor isn't Coast Guard approved, we had a thread about this in the clothing section last winter. They have to hire someone to test the stuff and then ask the Coast Guard to approve it. The Coast Guard doesn't test the suit any more than the Navy does. Arctic Armor isn't being sold as a Personal Flotation Device, but rather as as a cold weather suit that will float a person. If ya want something Coast Guard approved buy a Mustang suit or another approved brand. I know if I fall though the ice it will be my responsibility to get myself out and not the responsibility of my Arctic Armor. If some help arrives great, but I won't be depending on it.

Well said. Arctic armor or not, still got to use the head on your shoulders.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.