Author Topic: Arctic Armor  (Read 4484 times)

Offline jackinthebobhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
Arctic Armor
« on: Jun 29, 2011, 08:45 AM »
I am thinking about making the purchase this year, and would like hear from any of you out there that have the suit. Is it money worth spending? Also any input about the Ice Armor suit too would be great. Is it the same as Artic Armor? I see a pretty big difference in price.

Thanks!
Jack

surflizard

Re: Arctic Armor
« Reply #1 on: Jun 29, 2011, 10:56 AM »
Hey Jack, For me it was a simple choice. Because I like get on the early ice for Brookies and Bows, the piece of mind that comes with knowing that if I go thru, I stand a Much better chance to survive and go home to my family by choosing Arctic Armor over ice armor, That fact right there is why it's worth every penny to me !! I'm trying to get a second red an black suit for the milder days, The plus suit I have is too much if the temp is higher than 10 or 15 degrees !

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2011, 06:43 PM »
Hey Jack, For me it was a simple choice. Because I like get on the early ice for Brookies and Bows, the piece of mind that comes with knowing that if I go thru, I stand a Much better chance to survive and go home to my family by choosing Arctic Armor over ice armor, That fact right there is why it's worth every penny to me !! I'm trying to get a second red an black suit for the milder days, The plus suit I have is too much if the temp is higher than 10 or 15 degrees !
(Image removed from quote.)

Surf,

So the stuff really does float? Does it come in different grades of warmth? Is the red and black not as warm?

Jack

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2011, 07:59 PM »
If you go to IDI.com, they have several videos of people doing actual float tests ! The plus suit has an addition tricot insulation layer in it ! The red and black suit doesn't. I got the red and black suit for my wife because she's always had trouble with the cold, Not any more, she loves her IDI suit ! The tricot inner layer is also sticky like velcro when you pull it on over your mid layer, the red suit isn't because its nylon.

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2011, 04:57 PM »
I just bought a second AA suit! Best purchase of last year! Well maybe a very close second to the vex...
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2011, 06:05 PM »
Wore my AA red suit out on the ice about 25 times last season and loved it!! It was very warm and comforatble all season long, even in some nasty weather. I definatly went with AA because of the floatation factor!! Cheers,Chris

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2011, 08:23 PM »
I slept in mine on the ice last year on a single digit night without a sleeping bag and was never cold. But I also stay warmer than most
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

rickl1968

« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2011, 10:25 PM »
http://www.idigear.com/index2.php    ;D

I should get one too.

Offline DustyRhyno

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Giddy up!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2011, 10:26 PM »
That peace of mind thing helped me make my decision.

surflizard

« Reply #9 on: Jul 01, 2011, 05:16 AM »
That peace of mind thing helped me make my decision.
  Early season Brown fishing, 3 inchs of ice !  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2011, 03:27 PM »
If you fish early/late ice or EVER by yourself that built in insurance is a nice piece of mind, and in my case gets my permission from the boss to go out in those scenarios.

That said ~ it IS warm!!!!!!!!!!

Learn to layer, and not wear ANY cotton, and everything breathable.  On bottom I wear polypro underwear, polypro long johns, and then fleece pants with a fly (really pajama bottoms); on top I wear polypro long johns, fleece shirt, and an IDI Gear Guide Shirt.  If I am doing any strenuous activities I often take off the jacket, even in the coldest of temps (the guide shirt is made with one layer of the IDI material).

I have spent several nights out in a hub, and often night fish for crappie, and have never been cold.

If you get a deal where you get free gloves, they run small.

~Jeff

surflizard

« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2011, 03:45 PM »
http://www.idigear.com/index2.php    ;D

I should get one too.
It's worth every penny if you ask me Rick !! In one of my photo above, I was kneeling in 3 inches of slop most of the day checking traps and I stayed Bone Dry !  :thumbsup:

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jul 11, 2011, 05:34 PM »
I guess I will be the first to say I don't like the Arctic Armor. Its not nearly as warm as I thought it would be (I had the green suit). I ended up buying a Ice Armor Grey Suit and couldnt be happier. Had it on -40F temps on Lake Superior with 25mph winds and my body was cozy warm. I also got it on sale for $250 which made it all the better. I am a colder person in general, so I dont have the problem of it being too warm. If I get hot on 30F+ days I take my jacket off and just fish in my bibs. If you are warmer in general the arctic suit may be all you need. I have heard the blue suit (ice armor) is not nearly as warm however (its not insulated).

Its a nice feature to be able to float if something was to happen on the Arctic Armor, which is what brought me to buy one in the first place. But I have buddies who have bought the arctic armor suit just so they could fish 2, 1, .xx inches of ice and if they went through, they would "float". Which in my opinion is not an excuse to put yourself in a dangerous position.

I am pretty experienced with these suits, two of my buddies have the full Arctic Suit and two of them have Ice Armor black bibs and the Arctic Armor Coat. All of them complain about the bibs not being warm enough (again all have green suit), both are skinny guys that have a hard time keeping warm and the two with just the Arctic Armor Coats don't like them. Again this is just my experience and I havent ever wore any other of the models besides the green suit combo. Either way Arctic or Ice Armor as long as your warm it shouldnt matter. The vids on the website are kind of funny to watch, I always wanted to try it out in my pool... ;D

+1 on it being worth every penny, I wish I bought a suit sooner. My duck bibs/jacket were not cutting it...
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Aug 05, 2011, 07:33 AM »
Thanks everyone!
Looks like it is going to be the Arctic Armor. Anyone know of any good deals online?

Jack

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #14 on: Aug 05, 2011, 07:36 AM »
Depends on what color you want.

Can't beat IDI for the Green Bay Packer outfit:  http://www.idigear.com/arcticarmor1.php

I got mine (black) at:  http://www.profishingsupply.com/arcticarmor/index.html

surflizard

« Reply #15 on: Aug 05, 2011, 03:01 PM »
The Red and Black suit was $199.99 at the Red Rock store.

The Green Bay Plus suit was $239.99 at IDI.

Offline rks-icer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 09, 2011, 03:00 PM »
I love mine and wouldn't be without it. Best money I have spent on ice fishing gear. It is very warm, waterproof and gives you a great piece of mind with the flotation. You won't be sorry!

Offline SteelFitter87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Sep 14, 2011, 01:36 AM »
How can you tell which arctic armor is the warmer version, whats the difference in the different suits?

surflizard

« Reply #18 on: Sep 14, 2011, 05:25 AM »
The AA Plus suit like the Green Bay edition that I'm wearing has an Additional layer of brushed tricot fleece.
The Standard AA suit has the standard nylon fabric as the inner layer.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Sep 25, 2011, 10:17 AM »
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Sep 25, 2011, 10:32 AM »
I dunno....I just can't do it.  As a Chicago Bears fan I just can't bring myself to ordering the Packer color suit.  Even if I did, my fishing buddies would cut an extra large hole and drown me if I wore on the ice with them.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

surflizard

« Reply #21 on: Sep 25, 2011, 10:46 AM »
Great video Hazzy, That's what Separates Arctic Armor from All the rest, right there !  :thumbsup:

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 07, 2011, 06:52 PM »
 I bought mine last year and love it. piece of mind that it floats is a bonus. I recommend it to anyone. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.