Author Topic: Arctic Armor cold seepage  (Read 3286 times)

Offline cross-eyed

• IceShanty Rookie
Arctic Armor cold seepage
« on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:05 AM »
Hey Guys,
             Bought a Arctic Armor suit about a month ago. The float feature drew my nod, but also the statement of it being very warm. So far i have woren the suit with different laying combos and have come to find out the only answer is good old goose down (cabela's 650). Guys I don't consider myself a susie, I do have a flip shanty but only use it  about 5% of the time. I'm usally on a bucket some  where on the saginaw bay. Am i the only one who has a issue with i.d.i gear claims that this is a warm suit? Maybe i got a defective parka? Not trying to start a war, just looking for some HONEST answers and opinons thanks guys and tight lines.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Arctic Armor cold seepage
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2010, 04:10 PM »
Hey Guys,
             Bought a Arctic Armor suit about a month ago. The float feature drew my nod, but also the statement of it being very warm. So far i have woren the suit with different laying combos and have come to find out the only answer is good old goose down (cabela's 650). Guys I don't consider myself a susie, I do have a flip shanty but only use it  about 5% of the time. I'm usally on a bucket some  where on the saginaw bay. Am i the only one who has a issue with i.d.i gear claims that this is a warm suit? Maybe i got a defective parka? Not trying to start a war, just looking for some HONEST answers and opinons thanks guys and tight lines.

where is it cold at? Across the back/sholders? If so, you you got it too tight or you are using too many layers. Sounds stupid but that is it. The insulation (any insulation) has to have some room for it to work properly. There needs to be an air gap between you/your layers and the insulation of the coat. This is a common complaint with poorly fitting AA coats and 99 out of 100 the next size up or going with few layers takes care of the problem. Too tight and the insulation can not trap and warm the air. It seems to be worse across the back as you usually sit with your back to the wind and hunch over when bucket fishing so the insulation is even more compressed

That said I have never been cold in my AA suit including pretty good negative number wind chills and actual temps. I bucket sit 100% of the time and have 3 years with my suit (probably 60-70 actual outting both in Michigan and canada). I fished LSC on Monday and while it was not teribly cold (high teens when we started out) and I didnt even zip up my coat.

AA Sizing runs kind of screwy and you really need to try it on with all your layers when you buy. On my coat with my layers (which is only a thin poly pro shirt, polypro long john top and sometimes a thin fleece) I can rab the front of my coat and pull it out about 3-4 inches at the front, which give me more than enough room.

Hope this helps
J-

Offline cross-eyed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2010, 09:39 AM »
I noticed the cold on my arms. So i unzipped my coat and placed my hand down the sleeve and the "dead air space" between my arm and the coat was cold. This is with the cuffs closed and the coat zippered. My base layers were ploy-pro with a wool sweater and a down vest for my core. Do you think i should contact i.d.i gear?
Thanks

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2010, 12:22 PM »
I noticed the cold on my arms. So i unzipped my coat and placed my hand down the sleeve and the "dead air space" between my arm and the coat was cold. This is with the cuffs closed and the coat zippered. My base layers were ploy-pro with a wool sweater and a down vest for my core. Do you think i should contact i.d.i gear?
Thanks

couldnt hurt calling them. I have never had a problem with mine. Are your sleeves tight maybe?

J-

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2010, 05:01 AM »
Same problem as you cross-eyed.  Got my suit last year.  Cold spots on the arms and the back.  And yes I layered and not layered.  My jacket to is plenty big.  There have been numerous other posts about the same problem along with the suit not breathing and sweating like a butcher inside of it.  I pretty much dress underneath it like the jacket is just a floating wind breaker.  I've kept it for the main reason and that is it's flotation factor.  If you do call IDI let me know what they say.  Fin

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2010, 05:56 PM »
I usually wear a polypropylene base layer, blue jeans, Carhart hoodie and a Columbia jacket under my AA. I almost always fish outside and do not get cold. If I get warm I unzip. If it is warmer outside I won't wear the Columbia jacket. I think it is easy to get a cold draft when you don't move.   
Bruster

Offline cross-eyed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2010, 08:36 PM »
Hey Fin, I called i.d.i, the guy was polite but in so many words said it could not be the suit it must be my metabolism. I told him the only way i can stay warm is with a layer of goose down, then he says yea but goose down does'nt breath. I didn't bother telling him that their product breaths about like a pvc rainsuit. I would not have a problem with A.A if they didn't claim that their suit was very warm. Like you Fin I'm wearing it like a floating wind breaker, but on a positive note the bibs are pretty good. I cannot believe that there is not a ton of other "old school" ice fishermen not freezing their &$$ off in this product. Cross-eyed   

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:33 PM »
Hey Fin, I called i.d.i, the guy was polite but in so many words said it could not be the suit it must be my metabolism. I told him the only way i can stay warm is with a layer of goose down, then he says yea but goose down does'nt breath. I didn't bother telling him that their product breaths about like a pvc rainsuit. I would not have a problem with A.A if they didn't claim that their suit was very warm. Like you Fin I'm wearing it like a floating wind breaker, but on a positive note the bibs are pretty good. I cannot believe that there is not a ton of other "old school" ice fishermen not freezing their &$$ off in this product. Cross-eyed   
Thanks for the reply!  I didn't think they would have an answer for you.  I guess we are just the minority.  I have seen other guys post on here about the cold spots and how they were unhappy with the suit for this and the lack of breathability.  I know I'm still gonna wear mine and just have to live with it cause at $350 dollars there is no going back.  I just keep thinking flotation, flotation, flotation.  Fin

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2010, 07:18 AM »
I was getting the draft as well but found that the wind was coming in from the bottom of the jacket. Try cinching up the draw string around the bottom the jacket.

Offline cross-eyed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2010, 01:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply!  I didn't think they would have an answer for you.  I guess we are just the minority.  I have seen other guys post on here about the cold spots and how they were unhappy with the suit for this and the lack of breathability.  I know I'm still gonna wear mine and just have to live with it cause at $350 dollars there is no going back.  I just keep thinking flotation, flotation, flotation.  Fin

Yea Fin, You're like me, just cause i bought something and paid good money for it  if its junk i'll try to tell others to beware. Pretty expensive life vest. I think a guy would be wise to buy the bibs and get a nice warm parka. Thanks cross-eyed

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2010, 04:00 PM »
Well other that it not breathing well(for obvious reasons) I honestly love my suit. Ive been out on some COLD days here in Saskatchewan this year and honestly for the money im very happy with the product. I like the bibs more than the jacket but ive had this suit out in weather down to -48 with the wind and it worked very well. I usually wear a fleece underneath but if its extremely cold ill put on long jons as well but I usually find myself cooking with too many layers. If im walking to my spot I dont put on the coat until im there and setup otherwise you can start to sweat and will eventually get cold. I think too many people buy this expecting too much of it, you get what you pay for and for the $319 US I paid for mine im pretty damn happy with it.

I was very worried about buying this after everything I read about it on here but after putting it to the test this past winter I can honestly say im quite pleased and I expect to get a few good seasons out of it for sure.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2010, 06:12 PM »
Just dress properly under the suit and there won't be any problem.
Bruster

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2010, 07:01 PM »
53andout, I do dress properly. I don't wear cotton blue jeans and cotton hoodie. I've tried all of the latest high tech stuff out there. All we were saying is what happens when we wear AA. And keep people informed that there is not no perfect suit out there and they may end up having some of the problems we've encountered. Many people love there suits and I think that's great. I wish I was one of them. So please don't tell me just to dress properly when if you would have checked numerous other posts on this topic from myself and other people we have dressed properly with the same results. Fin

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2010, 08:10 PM »
What I'm saying when I got my suit I was cold in it. I thought I could put it on and go out. I asked on here and read what works for the other guys  Now I dress properly to keep the cold drafts out and I stay very warm and comfortable.

53andout, I do dress properly. I don't wear cotton blue jeans and cotton hoodie. I've tried all of the latest high tech stuff out there. All we were saying is what happens when we wear AA. And keep people informed that there is not no perfect suit out there and they may end up having some of the problems we've encountered. Many people love there suits and I think that's great. I wish I was one of them. So please don't tell me just to dress properly when if you would have checked numerous other posts on this topic from myself and other people we have dressed properly with the same results. Fin
Bruster

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #14 on: Jul 22, 2010, 05:03 PM »
It's not so much a cold seepage, but a sweat collection spots for me.  I don't like the neoprene cuffs.  It just traps perspiration in there.  I pull my fleece sleeve under the cuffs and that works for me.  Only now I shouldn't reach down the ice hole to hand scoop up a fish.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.