The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Looking for ice  (Read 5079 times)

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking for ice
« on: Jan 22, 2023, 03:03 PM »
Born and raised in Wayne county. Had to move away for work. I try to make it back about 3 times every winter to fish. Looks like a tough season this year. Looking for ice in Wayne or Susquhanna counties. Read Rutt Nutts report on Upper Woods, sounds like it might work, just wondering how thick. Planning to head in on 1-27. Any other reports or info in the area would be greatly appreciated.  Hate to drive 4 hours to look at open water. 
Thanks

Offline Allyn726

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Looking for ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2023, 07:13 PM »
If you are referring to the "Upper Woods Warning" post that is a few topics below, that report is from a few years ago. Check the date, it fooled me as well for a bit. Looks like someone commented on it recently and that is why it is towards the top of the topics page again.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2023, 09:05 AM »
Yeah, that’s an old report and I haven’t heard of anyone fishing it this season yet. If I get up there I will report what I find.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2023, 03:33 PM »
Thanks for the info. I really need to check the dates on the posts. Got pictures from Long Pond / Lake Alden, not good, lot of open water. Also got a report there was a person on Prompton by the dam, don't know if I would trust that. Going to hold on another week or two before I make the trip. Just hope it gets colder there.  Thanks again.

Offline c1105021

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2023, 10:38 AM »
Fished Duck Harbor yesterday 1/26.....5 to 6 inches everywhere we dilled....fished down to the right from the launch

Offline myurkovicjr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH ON !
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2023, 12:08 PM »
Fished Duck Harbor yesterday 1/26.....5 to 6 inches everywhere we dilled....fished down to the right from the launch

Do you plan on fishing DH this weekend?

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2023, 05:34 AM »
Belmont is good.  7 inches of ice.  Fished there yesterday.

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2023, 01:31 PM »
Thanks for the reports.  Planning on heading in on 2-10 for a 10 day trip. Want to hit a bunch of local water. Like the report on Belmont, I try fishing that every year. Fished White Oak a couple times after they drained it, hope there will be some ice there too. Long Pond, Upper Woods and Prompton are on my list.
Thanks again, let you know how it works out

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2023, 01:36 PM »
Never fished Belmont. Can anyone tell me how deep it is and is there any nice panfish in there? Thanks

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2023, 01:41 PM »
Never fished Belmont. Can anyone tell me how deep it is and is there any nice panfish in there? Thanks
Check the top post on the conditions page:
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=6838.0

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2023, 02:01 PM »
Thank you. Looks like it's not the best place. But at this stage in the game it's better than nothing.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2023, 02:18 PM »
Thank you. Looks like it's not the best place. But at this stage in the game it's better than nothing.
There are some big fish in there.  And right now you can keep as many fish as you want of any species because they are getting ready to lower the lake for dam work.

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2023, 02:21 PM »
Thank you for all the info. Tight lines.

Offline mrruahunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2023, 02:56 PM »
WHITE OAK?   I know they drained it and i thought they never brought the level back?  If there still water in there to fish?

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2023, 03:44 PM »
After they drained, there is water to fish, did a couple years back,  I remember did ok there, worth a shot. Because I'm not there I really cant tell you how the ice is. I think its on the list to rebuild the dam like Lower Woods.

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2023, 02:03 PM »
I got reports that people are fishing Long Pond (lake Alden), Belmont, and White Oak. I figure Upper Woods should be good. Would like to hear about Prompton, if anyone has been there down the "Hawthorn Trail".

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2023, 09:15 PM »
I may be headed up that way on Saturday. If so, I’ll try to swing by Prompton on the way back and report what I find.

I’m pretty optimistic after stopping at Snow Shanty launch at Promised Land tonight. Solid and measured 4 and 1/4” of ice. And judging by drag marks in the dusting of snow and the hole I checked, several guys were out fishing today.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Ice_Surveyor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2023, 07:59 AM »
I may be headed up that way on Saturday. If so, I’ll try to swing by Prompton on the way back and report what I find.

I’m pretty optimistic after stopping at Snow Shanty launch at Promised Land tonight. Solid and measured 4 and 1/4” of ice. And judging by drag marks in the dusting of snow and the hole I checked, several guys were out fishing today.

Morning Ruttnutt,

I would assume that Pickerel Point is still a no go on fishing? I dont have much experience with this lake (or ice fishing in general), does the Snow Shanty area fish well?
Any info is much appreciated, thank you.

Andy

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2023, 08:08 AM »
Hey Ice Surveyor,   Nutt Rutt is inviting everyone on Shanty to join him this weekend in his new ice fishing hub/lodge.   He will teach you everything he knows.   Should only take a few minutes. 

Offline kmu70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2023, 08:17 AM »
LMAO  :roflmao:

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2023, 08:37 AM »
Hey Ice Surveyor,   Nutt Rutt is inviting everyone on Shanty to join him this weekend in his new ice fishing hub/lodge.   He will teach you everything he knows.   Should only take a few minutes.

Yes! The seminar will be very short! 😁

And after the seminar Carpboy will be providing the sausage sammiches for everybody! 😜
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2023, 08:42 AM »
Morning Ruttnutt,

I would assume that Pickerel Point is still a no go on fishing? I dont have much experience with this lake (or ice fishing in general), does the Snow Shanty area fish well?
Any info is much appreciated, thank you.

Andy

Andy- I didn’t have time to check out on the point- had to get home. But I’m sure it’s worse than Snow Shanty. But with this cold weather the next several days even Pickerel Point MIGHT be fishable by the weekend............... ..

Yes- we usually do pretty well at Shanty.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Ice_Surveyor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2023, 08:43 AM »
Sounds good to me. I'm thinking of coming up Sunday for the day. Hope to see some of you guys out there.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2023, 08:50 AM »
Ok- good luck and have fun!

We’ll probably be hitting a different lake every day(Sat-Mon) so might not see you. Still trying to decide what lake/which day................... ...🤔
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Ice_Surveyor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2023, 08:51 AM »
Sounds good. Work is too busy for me to take off unfortunately. So Sunday is all I got. Thanks for the info and good luck to you as well.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2023, 09:20 AM »
The pack seems skimmed over fully as of this am I’d have to bet shohola will be good for weekend no wind at night until Friday if lakes are capped the artic wind could help I’ll be fishing this weekend

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2023, 09:21 AM »
I’m in pike county got out 5 times in December and that was it for over here have 11 days on the ice but the other 6 where in the Adirondacks fishing eyes smallies largies lakers and pike

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2023, 04:58 PM »
I’m in pike county got out 5 times in December and that was it for over here have 11 days on the ice but the other 6 where in the Adirondacks fishing eyes smallies largies lakers and pike
Just out of curiosity, where do you ice fish in the Adirondacks?  I’ve fished up there a few times in the summer, but never on ice.  I’d like to try it sometime.

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2023, 03:58 PM »
Heading in to Wayne County on the 10th, for a 10 day trip. Going to try different lakes in the area. Hope the ice holds. Got a 8 ft plank to get on the ice, hope that's enough length. Any reports would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2023, 02:18 PM »
Made it into Wayne County on the 10th. Finally got on Long Pond around 1:00. Ice was a little crappy, Fished till dark, really slow 1, 18" smallmouth. Saturday hit Prompton, nice surprise on the road down at the dam. Got on the lake at 8:00 place was packed. Couldn't make it to my spot. Put in 4 tip-ups, Started jigging,  1 smallmouth 2 largemouth on the tip-ups, never left the hole I started jigging on, spectacular day, seemed like everyone was catching. left at dark. All the years I fished there, never seen it like that!. Sunday was Long Pond again, 4 smallmouth, 3 pickerel, 8 perch 10 to 13 inches, another fish till dark. Monday, had a connection to fish Fiddle Lake, 3 small perch, all day. Tuesday Prompton again, another fabulous day, fished till dark. the shore got really bad. The guy that stayed with me , really nice guy, went thru at the shore when we were getting off, and he was ok. Wednesday was Fiddle Lake, nice perch and a 7 1/2 lb northern. great day. Temps went up. Thursday morning, Long Pond looked bad, so packed up, heading back stopped at Prompton that looked shaky. So called a short season and headed back east. Looking forward to next year already. Want to thank all you guys for the info. Stay safe "Don't fill your boots up!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.