Author Topic: 2019-20 Loughborough Laker  (Read 12331 times)

Offline hardwaternewbie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 2019-20 Loughborough Laker
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2021, 12:28 PM »
Some additional info while I wait for the city to contact me.  As you can see below, the City of Kingston report clearly states the city owns the plot.  Also, it states additional land is required to accommodate a parking lot expansion.

Loughborough Lake Boat Launch

Description Details

Located off Loughborough Dr. on Loughborough Lake, this is an
improvement of an existing boat launch. Parking needs to be a key
consideration in any improvements to the launch. Opportunities for
roadside parking or parking on an adjacent parcel needs to be investigated.

Recommended improvements:

▷▷ Existing Boat Launch Improvements
▷▷ Repair ramp
▷▷ Formalize parking
▷▷ Requires additional land to accommodate parking lot expansion

Project Risks and Challenges:

▷▷ Coordination with neighbouring residents
▷▷ Sensitive Trout Lake

size / area
0.50 ha

ownership

City of Kingston
Private (for parking)

project partners

Adjacent Land-Owners
City of Kingston Engineering

estimated budget
$193,000
priority ranking
111/137
associated initiatives
Stand Alone

https://www.cityofkingston.ca/documents/10180/13926536/Project_WFMPFinal_AppendixB_ProjectSheets.pdf

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:48 AM »
Hey Guys
They have blocked off the access to the launch, sounds shady, hope the city will make a point of opening it up.  I havent started my annual ice condition update because I dont want to encourage people to trespass until the city acts.  Not much ice anyway at the very west end it has skimmed over a few times. As of Sunday there was still open water further east towards davidison.  The east end of the lake appears to be locked up with the exception of the current areas under the bridge.  mild temps this week but if there is anything interesting next time I drive by I will post pics.

Jon
@jzuliniak

Offline MarkM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 12, 2021, 11:42 AM »
Thanks for the update JZ👍

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 23, 2021, 01:58 PM »
Saw a few people out on the west end today. Also saw some snowmobile tracks from the division st launch heading west but didnt check the ice at either end so not such how much is there. Cold as hell tho so we are making ice fore sure.
@jzuliniak

Offline Anglerholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 23, 2021, 06:33 PM »
The only guy I saw out there today was spudding out extremely slowly. Will likely leave it until next weekend myself. Does anyone have word on the launch that's blocked off? I'll likely send an email to the city to inquire.

Offline MarkM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2021, 08:19 AM »
Seeing that Lobo rd. Is up in the air for access, I have never tried Division or any other access points. Can someone share some info on an alternative spot to get out?
Please.  :)

Offline Anglerholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2021, 08:22 AM »
The city notified me that the boat launch is private property. Since it was always used informally by the public, it was thought to be owned by the city, however, they determined that it is actually private. Hope this clears things up for others!

Offline Splake_Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 25, 2021, 10:06 AM »
Hey MarkM, Davidson is your best bet for access to the west basin.  But beware, that hill is great going down, but it's an easy 4 break hill on the way back up haha.  There is a reason there is little benches on the path.

It's "one of those winters" and as much as I'd like to be out there trout fishing, I'm giving it a couple more weeks.  There was still a strip of open water as of Friday down the middle of a good portion of the deep end.

Offline MarkM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2021, 10:18 AM »
Hey MarkM, Davidson is your best bet for access to the west basin.  But beware, that hill is great going down, but it's an easy 4 break hill on the way back up haha.  There is a reason there is little benches on the path.

It's "one of those winters" and as much as I'd like to be out there trout fishing, I'm giving it a couple more weeks.  There was still a strip of open water as of Friday down the middle of a good portion of the deep end.

Lolol thanks Splake_Hunter I appreciate the info!  I’m holding out for another week myself but itching to get on the ice.
Will give me time to think about that hill! ::) ;D

Offline stukkie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 2022 Loughborough Laker
« Reply #39 on: Jan 25, 2022, 01:37 PM »
Anybody been out yet, I haven't driven by recently and I'm guessing with all the snow heart attack hill will be just that.
Stay Safe

Offline Anglerholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:18 PM »
I think I will give it a go later this week. Gotta fuel up on carbs and bring extra water before climbing back up the hill. I have never caught a laker through the ice - Any tips? Last year I got a few to chase but never had one commit.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 26, 2022, 09:00 AM »
I havent been out on Lobo yet, might give it a shot this weekend. I see lots of tracks out from the division st launch just not sure how much ice and how deep the snow is  where it opens up to the main lake.  Hearing lots of ice on the very west end but since that public launch went private no access.  Also seeing people go out of davidson with reports of lots of ice, but ya that hill is a biatch.
@jzuliniak

Offline Fenix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 26, 2022, 09:11 AM »
I havent been out on Lobo yet, might give it a shot this weekend. I see lots of tracks out from the division st launch just not sure how much ice and how deep the snow is  where it opens up to the main lake.  Hearing lots of ice on the very west end but since that public launch went private no access.  Also seeing people go out of davidson with reports of lots of ice, but ya that hill is a biatch.

Hey JZ,

It's Andrew (ad29), it's been a long time! Prior to this year I hadn't been out ice fishing in probably 3 years. I've been able to get back into it this year and have hit BOQ several times but thinking of taking my father in-law to Loughborough for some lakers. I was going to PM you this but for some reason the forum won't let me (maybe because I have posted yet with this new account?). Anyhow, would love to learn more about how to get out there again as it looks like based on your last post the West end launch is no longer an option. Hoping you can share some advice on the best way to access the lake now and what to watch out for (i.e. the hill you mention).

Thanks in advance. Cheers!
-Andrew

Offline stukkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 26, 2022, 02:50 PM »
Well boys and girls I went for the short drive to Lobo Dr to see what going on as I haven't really been there in a while and to my surprise there is a very $$ large modern house built in the lake where the "public" launch was. There doesn't look like any foot traffic onto the ice along the lakefront so I guess I need to buy a sled/ risk a heart attack or start walking now to be there at first light to fish Lobo Lake. I wouldn't drive the atv from Division St. Good luck to the young and fit. ???
   Stay Safe

Offline Anglerholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 26, 2022, 03:27 PM »
Yeah I asked the city about it last year and they determined that the launch was actually privately owned. I'll likely just knock on some doors and ask for permission to access. Last year, one of the residents put up one of those orange fences along the roadside and left nasty notes on some peoples cars who jumped off the road onto the lake.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 29, 2022, 10:59 AM »
Hey JZ,

It's Andrew (ad29), it's been a long time! Prior to this year I hadn't been out ice fishing in probably 3 years. I've been able to get back into it this year and have hit BOQ several times but thinking of taking my father in-law to Loughborough for some lakers. I was going to PM you this but for some reason the forum won't let me (maybe because I have posted yet with this new account?). Anyhow, would love to learn more about how to get out there again as it looks like based on your last post the West end launch is no longer an option. Hoping you can share some advice on the best way to access the lake now and what to watch out for (i.e. the hill you mention).

Thanks in advance. Cheers!
-Andrew

Hey Andrew
How's it going? Long time no talk! I think you need to have a certain number of posts before PMs work.  Davidson Beach is probably the best bet right now, there is a big hill to walk up but its doable with minimal gear. (don't bring that giant homemade tool chest of a sled you had years ago). Once you get down to the beach its only a hundred meters or so until you are in deep water. If you have a sled or ATV you can launch at the division st launch but the snow/slush is really deep right now, not advisable with an ATV.  Hopefully the warmer weather next week knocks it down a bit so travel will be easier in the second half of the season.  Once you get some more posts send me a PM and we will get together and fish.
Thanks
Jon
@jzuliniak

Offline Fenix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 03, 2022, 09:02 AM »
Hey JZ!

Haha I still have that thing but definitely don't use it at all anymore. I still pack heavy but typically go out with my father in-law and his cousin so we spread the gear over three sleds. That is great info, thank you for sharing. I've been hitting Quinte trying to find a walleye that wants to bite lol so I'll probably do that until the season closes for them then try Lobo assuming we continue to have good ice/weather which I imagine we will. That sounds good man, will do! Maybe we can lasso Dave into hitting the ice again, been awhile since I've fished with him as well.

Cheers man! Thanks again!
Andrew

Offline Randy T

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 26, 2023, 08:23 PM »
Hi! New to the group, anyone know the ice conditions on Loughborough lake? I'll be in the area next weekend, and wanted to bring the father-in-law ice fishing....

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 27, 2023, 07:26 AM »
Hi! New to the group, anyone know the ice conditions on Loughborough lake? I'll be in the area next weekend, and wanted to bring the father-in-law ice fishing....
depends on where you are going out from Iam hearing reports anywhere from 3" to 6".  Iam planning on going out of Davidsons this weekend so I will post an update then.
Jon
@jzuliniak

Offline Randy T

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 27, 2023, 01:57 PM »
Thanks Jon! That's most likely where we would be going out from as well. Is the hill manageable for a 78 year old man in good physical condition?

Offline ddpedlar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 28, 2023, 06:55 AM »
Can you drive a truck or side by side all the way to the beach parking? Or do they close the road in the winter?

Would love to hear the report back on Davidson beach ice conditions too. I’ve been itching to get out on the deep end of the lake.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 28, 2023, 10:58 AM »
Davidson had about 4” of ice and 4” of water on top. I only stayed for a couple hours didn’t mark a thing. The Hill is a killer. The parking lot is not usually plowed but someone got stuck today so they had to plow to get him out. Next weekend as all that slush and water freezes it will make travel a lot easier.
@jzuliniak

Offline Randy T

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 28, 2023, 06:01 PM »
Thanks for the info Jon! Are there any other lakes open for ice fishing in the area with better access? I'm not too picky on what kind of fish...

Offline The Trout Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Mar 08, 2023, 06:56 AM »
Anyone been on the lake lately? Is there lots of quality ice still? I was thinking of hitting Loughborough for lakers this weekend.

Offline Duffer500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Mar 08, 2023, 07:03 PM »
I was there but this saturday past...
Still 12inches of solid ice.
But...12 inches of snow on top.
Hopefully thats dropped.

I came here this evening in hope of some advice...

This is my 3rd winter fishing loughborough but I have yet to catch anything!

I have tried everything, dead bait, smelt, white tube jigs, jigging raps, spoons.

Fishing at every depth of the water colum. Early morning. Sunset. Snow storm. You get the just!

I have no problem finding fish on the screen and can often get them to chase. Sometimes winding real fast, other times not at all. Sometimes let the lure fall. Bumping bottom etc.

But I've never had so much as even a bump or a knock from a fish

This past weekend, I tried some small 1" crappie lures and focused on the bottom.
Plenty fish there but nothing doing.

I also see people with fish on most occasions which is great.

I am not looking for personal secrets. I just feel I must be missing something!?

Any info / experiences appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Offline The Trout Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Mar 10, 2023, 09:56 AM »
Thanks for confirming the ice thickness.

I find lakers there pretty finicky compared to other lake, but they are streaky. They will fake chase all day. Then, you'll have 4-5 that will bite in a 30 mins window. I found early day and around noon to be best.

I use 3'' tube white tube jig and paddletail and get lucky by chase or light bottom bouncing.

I'm going Sunday or Monday. You are welcome to join.

Offline Duffer500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Mar 10, 2023, 08:49 PM »
Ah thank you for this...

I am glad to hear the word "finicky" used.

I have hope that one day I will be there when they are on!

When you have caught them on the chase...do you do anything different, wind, stop...
Or is it just a case of the stars align and the fish follows through with the chase?

I know fish feeding patterns as much as any angler...
But I cant understand a fish that will
exert so much energy and follow so far for nothing.
They must be inquisitive and also have amazing vision!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.