Author Topic: Blade Sharpening  (Read 1715 times)

Offline gokorn1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Air Traffic Controller In Training
Blade Sharpening
« on: Dec 03, 2006, 10:58 PM »
I just wanted to pass along that Northern Knives offers blade sharping for cheap. I got 4 blades for 12 bucks. they put a nice edge on that last longer than what comes on new blades.
Cash Crate
Treasure Trooper

Offline dadamice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flyin' High, Hangin' Low
Re: Blade Sharpening
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2006, 11:39 AM »
gK1 - let us know how the blades work....I had the blades for my 10" Eskimo Mako done in October by Northern Knifes also....razor sharp to the touch, but I think they put on the wrong angle.  They didn't cut very well installed on the auger unless I applied a lot of pressure.  I'm going out to buy a new set!  BK :(
BK
(a.k.a. Big Kahuna)

Offline onthefrinj

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fish control my brain
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2006, 07:18 PM »
You can adjust the blade angle by small increments by shimming under the front of the blade. cardboard from a beer box works well.  ;) It works in a pinch when your out there just spinning away, but nothing will ever beat having an extra set of blades in your gear box.

Offline gokorn1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2006, 01:26 AM »
the blades do fine. I put three shimms made from a coke can. get about 5 holes or so before they start dulling and it become alot of work.
Cash Crate
Treasure Trooper

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2006, 01:36 AM »
Fish 307 does a blade swap check it out or you can call Ardisam for Eskimo blades and tell them you would like to have send in your blades for re-sharpening, 5 bucks a blade is a good deal + shipping. I sent 3 sets in and had them back in about a week and a half. It was 34.50 with shipping, thats the price of a new set of Turbo blades.

I have found out as I have posted on this subject before that although the locals get the blades sharp they are as you have stated not at the right angle and shimming becomes neccessity.

Brad

Offline gokorn1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2006, 01:45 AM »
northern knives only charged me 4 bucks a blade. Since my blades dont' have those teeth like the other do. I also bought some 6 inch blades on ebay thinking they were 8 inch blades now i need to sell them somehow
Cash Crate
Treasure Trooper

Offline iceisnice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2006, 06:25 PM »
Lazer blades and turbo blades require a tapered cut, the angle changes along the curve on the cutting edge. This is done with a special piece of equipment that most sharpeners do not have.  FISH307 has the equipment and has been successfully sharpening these blades for a long time.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2006, 02:51 PM »
Gokorn,  Am I understanding you right bud?  You get 5 holes drilled and your blades start to dull out?  If that's the case, there's something wrong with your situation.  Speak to us....
TEAM ALASKA

Offline gokorn1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2006, 06:11 AM »
Gokorn,  Am I understanding you right bud?  You get 5 holes drilled and your blades start to dull out?  If that's the case, there's something wrong with your situation.  Speak to us....

some where close to that then the holes become so difficult to drill. It takes about 2 mintues with fresh blades. then after about 5 or so holes, it can take up to 20 minutes to drill a hole, and i have to push down so hard im exhausted after one hole. I have good quality blades not sure what the problem is
Cash Crate
Treasure Trooper

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2006, 12:42 PM »
wow - I have an 8" lazer hand auger. I've drilled probably 30+ holes in 30+ inches of ice (EDIT - not at once!!! :-) )and it still does it in a couple minutes - wonderful machine. You don't see too many guys using manual augers with extensions, but I'm ordering one for mine - it simply works great! Nothing beats a gas auger for hopping around the lake, but if money is an object...

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2006, 02:02 PM »
I have an old Mora (blue w/red handles), and it works great "IF." 

I don't want to come across as pushing basic knowledge here, but there's a couple hints that may come in handy!  My drill is a "emergency" drill, that becomes rather worthless in the late season (deep ice.)

The blades on your hand auger should be treated like surgical blades.  Place your auger gently on the ice before drilling!  If you handle it even remotely rough, those razor sharp blades will bend or burr over making your auger an anchor.  When you start your hole and the auger starts to "wander" your hosed!  Hand augers won't wander or wobble if they're sharp.  Don't let a rookie barrow your auger without going through some proper care training.  This sounds rather "ana!" but it'll pay off big dividends!  When your finished, don't stand your auger up in the snow or drill 1/2 a hole and let it stand upright.  Place the cover on it, and set it on the ice.  Finally, after your day ends and you make it home, spray the blades down with WD-40.  I use WD do to it's protective nature, and it won't spook fish off when you drill your first hole next weekend.

PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS AS A POST FOR IDIOTS!  I have been operating the same drill blades through at least 100+ holes and they still remain sharp this year.  I have run across several gents who had problems keeping their augers sharp.  It's always the same answer.... They treated their auger like a hand saw or a hand drill, not the case!  These tools require extra care and real "babying."  These tricks work for your gas auger too...

This was not meant to offend anyone!  It's just some hints that I learned through trial and error, (more error than trial if you know what I mean!)

-Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline akjw7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2006, 06:23 PM »
definitely good suggestions barley - I practice all of the above except the WD - need to start though, sounds like a good tip. Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.